• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A97 High Socket temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

702drips

Registered
just a quick question....

i would have posted this on the other thread i started on the "cooling section"

but i think this section is ok

anyways...

my cpu core temps on this mobo are 20c idle and 45c prime 95

but my socket temps are 37c idle and 66c ful load(prime 95)

just wondering where i can find the max safe temp that a socket can go...

i get a warning from asus suite at 65c

is it safe to go past it(overclock)

im at stock speeds

cpu is fx 8350

That is a pretty high temp. You could get some air flow around that socket, might help a little. usually on the side where VRM are cause those can pool heat on that side and on the Ram side as well. May want to address case cooling. Not sure what side panels you have, but crank up the RPMs on the fans and see if that helps.

I highly doubt your cpu cores are 20C, that's likely below or exactly at your ambient temperature... which would be impossible unless your computer was off ;) 66C with prime95 is fine, your real world load will likely be under 60. You can set the asus suite alarm at whatever you like. You are safe to go past, just keep it under 80 hot day full load, so 75 full load typical day, which will probably end up like under 70 gaming load.

PS Socket thermistors are rarely actually located there, and also hardly ever accurate... Go ahead and blow a fan on it somewhere but I'll bet your "socket temp" is actually the heat right next to all your phase chips heatsinks. Better case airflow will certainly lower it, but 66C there is nothing to worry about. (typical spec is nominal operation @100C)

That is a pretty high temp. You could get some air flow around that socket, might help a little. usually on the side where VRM are cause those can pool heat on that side and on the Ram side as well. May want to address case cooling. Not sure what side panels you have, but crank up the RPMs on the fans and see if that helps.

hmm would air still go to socket if the waterblock is on it?...
i was thinking of upgrading fans on raidator...and i also have a few 5 1/4 drive bays..so i was thinking of placing a 120mm there aswell....

PS Socket thermistors are rarely actually located there, and also hardly ever accurate... Go ahead and blow a fan on it somewhere but I'll bet your "socket temp" is actually the heat right next to all your phase chips heatsinks. Better case airflow will certainly lower it, but 66C there is nothing to worry about. (typical spec is nominal operation @100C)

kk.l..i will see if putting a fan right next to it helps

hmm would air still go to socket if the waterblock is on it?...
i was thinking of upgrading fans on raidator...and i also have a few 5 1/4 drive bays..so i was thinking of placing a 120mm there aswell....

Put a fan tight on the VRM heat sinks is your best bet. This should be done while liquid cooling.

I had a M3A32-MVP wifi deluxe some time ago that actually came with a VRM fan in case of liquid cooling. It was not needed if the stock heat sink was being used, but was actually recommended by Asus to use while water cooling.

More air flow the better. No such thing as too much.

+1 shrimpbrime, I run a fan on the side of all my cases blowing onto the vrms, most of my cases have big, slow fans installed out of the box but nothing beats 70 cfm directed into that area.

I have the r2.0.
I had my fx4170 on it for a while and that was a disaster, 4.5 was all it would muster.
what clocks are you able to get wirh that combo?

Back