• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 and PhenomII 1100T?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The CPU is listed and should work with the bios update F8I but my pc won't boot.

So are you saying the bios had BEEN updated and it still will not boot with 1100T. OR are you trying to boot it with an 1100T in order to flash the bios?

I have not seen anyone run that board and cpu OR have not seen anyone posting into the forum with such combination and I look over just about every AMD post between here and the AMD Cpu Forum section.

As for not booting there maybe Leds on the board that give pointers to where the board is stopping in boot process.

Motherboard has been updated with F8I and does boot with my old Phenom triple core.
doesn't have leds for trouble shooting as far as I can tell(user manual trouble shooting section says to listen for beebs)

Sounds like a compatibility issue between the AM3 CPU and the AM2+ mainboard.

I would recommend getting a newer board for use with your 1100T, that will make you much happier than struggling with that ancient mainboard. You really want DDR3 1600 to take advantage of the Thuban's superior IMC.

And another nagging question is whether or not the cpu is actually good. It has been a good time now since new 1100T cpus were available thru retail channels. That makes one wonder if the cpu was gotten in a used condition and the cpu itself is failed.

I surely would find out if the cpu were good before buying another later and better board for the cpu. Test it in a buddies rig or take to a computer shop or something. Being good and then shipped is NO assurance it will work after shipping. I took a working cpu from my motherboard and shipped it across 5 states and at the other end it did not work. I know it did work but after shipping and packed well, it failed to work after shipping. So that happens even if not often.

Yeah, its just a recommendation. You are taking a huge performance loss by running the slower and more cumbersome DDR2 memory. Its rare that CPUs fail, but it does happen, usually more from excessive heat (overclocking, overvolting, torch, etc) than from shipping.

Yeah once that I personally am aware of and one time that I was not a party to, are the only two times in like 12 years. It happens though and is why I mentioned it since it seems it might be a used cpu. The one I shipped was used of course since I actually pulled it working from my own mobo.

The bad part is that we have almost no real information to come to any useful conclusion from. You and I both are having to carry the informational load.
RGone...

Yep, same here I had just one CPU fail on me (AMD Barton 3000+) and it was replaced under warranty. I was pleasantly surprised when they shipped two new processors back to me :)

yeah it was a used CPU bought on ebay from a power seller with good rating and with 12 months warranty. Says he tested it before shipping. I will go to my local pc hardware store tomorrow and see if he can test it for me as you said, no use buying a new mobo for a CPU that might be dead. I was hoping that this would be an cheap and easy upgrade just swapping the CPU to speed things up, not working out so well.
Thanks for the suggestions so far

Good fortune to you in your cpu test.

yeah it was a used CPU bought on ebay from a power seller with good rating and with 12 months warranty. Says he tested it before shipping. I will go to my local pc hardware store tomorrow and see if he can test it for me as you said, no use buying a new mobo for a CPU that might be dead. I was hoping that this would be an cheap and easy upgrade just swapping the CPU to speed things up, not working out so well.
Thanks for the suggestions so far

lando, I own that same motherboard. That I use an Athlon II 6000 in, I wanted to see how my 2nd 955be would run in it. For starters, it wouldn't run at all on anything other then the latest BIOS F8. When I did get it to run, I ran some tests to see how the 955 would run on it compared to my more modern Asus AM3+ board with the other 955 on it. At the same clock speeds when running benchmarks, the 955 on the 790fx board was significantly slower in benches then the one on the Asus board. If the 1100 is good you may want to get a better board for it.

So I went to my local pc shop and he couldn't help me as he didn't have that kind of mobo in his shop at the time. So the CPU will be sent back under the vendors full refund within 30 days no questions asked policy. He will even refund the postage very good service I was suprised. Buying a new mobo and ram for a CPU that is already out of date and no longer made doesn't really make much sense to me so this seems the best option.
Thanks for all the help

I often kick myself for not having gotten a good 1090T or 1100T when they were new. Pretty darn good cpus still today. So a good 1100T if at a good price used and buying a good mobo and ram for a system that performs pretty good still today would not have been a bad idea.

Now depending on what you do as a lot of gaming, you can go Intel and option up a good gaming rig.
RGone...

Back