• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3+ with onboard video for 2 monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Looking to find a AM3+ board with onboard video for 2 monitors, I really did not want to have to buy a video card to display 2 monitors. Can anyone point me in the right direction, I looked but almost all no onboard video.

Going to be picking up a 8350 chip

Nate:thup:

Last edited:
You'll have to go to a APU to get onboard video. Which is the FM1 and FM2 socket.

RGone, I'm not sure what you mean by "true AM3+" but any AM3+ motherboard below the 9xx chipset family will have onboard video with either VGA or DVI and VGA I/O ports. The 9xx chipset boards are enthusiast class boards and the manufacturers figure enthusiasts will be going with a discrete video card anyway. Whether or not you can get the DVI and VGA to work simultaneously to give dual monitor support is the big question. Also, it would need to support the CPU you will be using. A lot of the boards in this class will support that CPU but only at stock frequencies and voltages.

I used simple wording in my previous replay to OP.

This time I will be slightly more wordy as I understand the situation facing us with FX processors.

Having followed the early AM3+ chipset hoopla; there's only one true AM3+ chipset, and that's that 9XX series. The 8XX series boards that support AM3+ only do so because they have a modified BIOS, not really because they were meant to support it to begin with. The 9XX boards also use a different system for power regulation, so if you're planning on overclocking, the 8XX boards may not take kindly to it. AMD3+ spec calls for 145Amp power circuit instead of the earlier 110Amp power circuit. The 9XX chipset also features a faster HyperTransport, 3.1 vs 3.0. In addition the 990x and 990FX have support for SLI with Nvidia cards. In addition AM3+ CPUs in AM3 boards is not officially supported by AMD as far as I can determine.

I see many cobbled together groups of components to create mATX AM3+ motherboards and give onboard graphics to the cheaper motherboards including black AM3+ sockets, but have such boards been really RE-engineered for the AM3+ FX processors? Personally I would have my doubts. Collectively, most of us know that it takes a motherboard up and beyond entry level to really handle a heavily overclocked FX series processor and especially so the 8 core FX procesor series and probably the 6 core FX procesors when overclocked.

We have a number now and have had users with these pieced together boards rated to run FX processors that are just not up to the task by the time the user gets into an "overclocking forum" and want more speed since that is the major claim to fame of the AM3+ processors. Generally they must be heavily overclocked to run with the Intel crowd and especially so when gaming is the major concern of the DIY system configurator.

So I guess I could have said no AM3+ motherboard with an actual AM3+ chipset; that would be the 9xx chipset series, supports onboard graphics. There, now I have said it the way I actually believe it. If I were going to utilize an FX-8350 cpu as the OP said he wanted to do and overclock it with efficiency, I see no motherboards that seem to be capable of such operation with onboard video.

RGone, I figured that was what you were intending by the phrase, "true AM3+" but I thought for the education of OP I might tease you out for an explanation. I think one major unknown factor here is whether or not OP intends to overclock the CPU. He doesn't say one way or the other.

If the OP has not jumped on a board or chip yet. I would have to say look to the FM2+ motherboards, since they are releasing full size ATX motherboards with the A88X chipset.
Most expensive is $114, plus cost of the APU and will support Kaveri and is backwards compatible with the Richland processors.

I know people won't like this comment, but I personally believe we won't see another AM3+ cpu, not a steamroller anyway. There seems to be no plans for an updated chipset for AM3+ either. I think everything will be APU from here on out.
Look at Intel, most of there new processors are "apu" as well. It's just that they didn't coin a new phrase to describe them like AMD has. :chair:

I don't really have a problem with one saying that his suspicions are that we will not see a "desktop" steamroller. There are a few that feel that way and could be acccurate.

I expect it will depend on the money following the market condition. If things continue to worsen and the Usa market gets more bleak, the APUs for the "world" maybe all AMD will really need to release.
RGone...

Back