• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket 939 Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (E4)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Yes, once again it is time to overclock another socket 939 CPU.

This time up on the test bench is the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego E4 stepping (ADA3700DAA5BN).

I'm starting this one out the same way I always do, seeing how fast it can go at stock voltage, and then raising the voltage up to go further.

Voltage on left is actual voltage observed in OS, voltage on right is what I set in the bios.

2.2GHz (stock): 1.31V (1.35V)
2.4GHz: 1.31V (1.35V)
2.5GHz: 1.30-1.31V (1.35V)
2.6GHz: 1.30-1.31V (1.35V)
2.7GHz: 1.30-1.31V (1.35V)
2.8GHz: 1.36V (1.4V)
2.9GHz: 1.47-1.49V (1.52V)
3GHz: 1.54-1.55V (1.45Vx110%=1.595V)

So far, I am impressed with this CPU. It runs cold as ice, idles at 20-24°C (might be a temp sensor glitch), and max load temp is 33°C while running Prime95. Ambient temperature is around 21.5-22°C. Probably the coldest-running ambient cooled CPU I've ever run, usually my CPU's at stock have idle temps similar to this one's load temps. It's so cool my CPU cooling fans are shut off more often than they are running because it idles below the minimum temp where they are supposed to switch the fans on, and when they do run they're usually at low RPM's.

I'm running air cooling again courtesy of my Thermalright Ultima 90 and two fans in push-pull.

Last edited:
Tech when you say you push as hard as u can on stock voltage, I assume you're setting it manually? Nice clocks!

This CPU is doing quite well, it's overclocked by 500MHz for 2.7GHz and only at 1.3V (stock is 1.35V).

It's prime95 stable too.

I think this one could have qualified to be an Opteron 152 (2.6GHz stock) rather than an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.2GHz stock) with being able to run this fast at less than stock voltage, it even runs faster than a stock 4000+ (2.4GHz).

AMD may have been just a bit conservative when they rated some of the CPU's. Though they do occasionally mark down say a 4000+ to be a 3700+, or a 3500+ to be a 3200+ (or marking a 955BE as a 555BE) to meet market demand (sometimes even when it is fully stable at the full rated speed of the higher model line and with all cores unlocked).

That's looking nice......:)

I'm having trouble finding a board for a 2000+ I've got sitting on my bench. Any thoughts on where to scrounge...???

That's looking nice......:)

I'm having trouble finding a board for a 2000+ I've got sitting on my bench. Any thoughts on where to scrounge...???

What CPU exactly do you have? Model number?

I'm not sure off hand what socket a 2000+ is.

This CPU is doing quite well, it's overclocked by 500MHz for 2.7GHz and only at 1.3V (stock is 1.35V).

AMD has always had an history of having too high stock voltages (at least in my book). Most if not all AMD CPUs I've ever owned I ran undervolted. You'd think they would be more careful with setting a stock vcore, especially as they are doing so badly in the TDP department when compared with their competitor.

Anyhow, those socket 939 chips are fun to OC. I'd have to say I have a weakness for Brisbane cores too, those were a lot of fun as well! :cool:

What CPU exactly do you have? Model number?

I'm not sure off hand what socket a 2000+ is.

Could be either Socket A or possibly Socket AM2 - If it's a lidded chip, it's a AM2 that's a low powered chip but in most cases it's a Socket A and would be a T-Bred chip by that model number.

@ Robert17: Get the model info from the chip and check CPU World to find out more on it. http://www.cpu-world.com/

Could be either Socket A or possibly Socket AM2 - If it's a lidded chip, it's a AM2 that's a low powered chip but in most cases it's a Socket A and would be a T-Bred chip by that model number.

@ Robert17: Get the model info from the chip and check CPU World to find out more on it. http://www.cpu-world.com/

Yeah, I didn't know if he meant an Athlon XP 2000+ or some other funky thing.

Now up to 2.8GHz at 1.36V. This thing is sweet.

Could have been rated as an FX-57 actually.

Last edited:
wow that thing is sipping the V core.

Yes, it's doing well.

Pulled off 2.9GHz at 1.47V minimum last night.

Usually I need 1.54-1.6V to get to 2.9GHz with a 3800+ Venice or a 4000+ San Diego, so this is going much better than expected.

I don't know why I didn't try this chip out sooner, probably had it for two years now and never tried to overclock it.

Looks like you at that point where you really need to start feeding it voltage. Still nice clocks. I have a 4400+ in my sons pc that I'm thinking of throwing a Prolimatech Megahalems on and see what it can do.

My San Diego 3700+ was one of my favorite CPUs

system.jpg

Don't remember or have any pics of load temps, but I remember it was rock solid
was using a Zalman CNPS9500 for cooling

Maybe some of this info can be helpful!

Last edited:
Stable at 3GHz with 1.54V.

Ran Prime95 last night for about five hours (fell asleep), when I woke up in the middle of the night it was still running and had no errors or warnings.

Temps maxed out at 42°C if I'm not mistaken. Ambient temp was around 22°C.

Sub 30 second SuperPi 1m time, yay!

Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people ahead of me though. :(

Back