• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price range cpu to overclock 8320 or 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grav

Hello all , this will be my first post !!

i planning to buy a new computer shortly , less than 1000$ price range.

i read a bit about those 2 processor and would like to know if i will be able to overclock them ?
option 1 will be the 8320
cooler : phantek tc14pe
board : Asus m5a97 r2.0
ram : Kingston hyperX blue

will i be able to overclock this cpu to 4.5 ghz with these spec ?

second option will be the 8350
cooler : h55
board : Asus m5a97 r2.0

will i be able to overclock this cpu to 4.6 ghz ?

and is their any diference in speed between these 2 cpu at the same ghz ?

regards

grav

Hello all , this will be my first post !!

i planning to buy a new computer shortly , less than 1000$ price range.

i read a bit about those 2 processor and would like to know if i will be able to overclock them ?
option 1 will be the 8320
cooler : phantek tc14pe
board : Asus m5a97 r2.0 Not enough VRM brawn to clock an 8 core processor stabily and effectively.

will i be able to overclock this cpu to 4.5 ghz with these spec ? Not really real likely due to motherboard choice. Also the air cooler you choose may make 4.5Ghz a reality but it will take awesome case size and air flow to get that hot air out of the case.

second option will be the 8350
cooler : h55 That is not nearly enough of an AiO cooler for 8 cores.
board : Asus m5a97 r2.0 Already stated above that this mobo is not robust enough to overclock an 8 core cpu and maybe not really a 6 core into the <>4.5Ghz range.

will i be able to overclock this cpu to 4.6 ghz ? Seriously doubt it.

and is their any diference in speed between these 2 cpu at the same ghz ? They should be pretty close. It has been a pattern that the FX-8350s seem to overclock to a max that is better than the lesser FX-8320.

regards

grav

i dunno if thats a good overclocking motherboard @_@...
you may wanna go with a decent motherboard if you're gonna oc
and as for the coolers google some benchmarks for them.
i think the phantek coolers like $115? if you're gonna spend that much i'd go with a corsair h100i or h110 liquid cooler if your tower is fitted for it. and if you look on tigerdirect.ca (dunno if youre canadian) the fx 8350 is on sale for the same price as the 8320. hmm maybe its on sale on tg.com as well. GL! but go google some benchmarks for your phantek/h55

yeah man that fan is freaking huuuuge O_O i hope those kingstons arent fitted with giant heatsinks because it probably wont fit then.

i must say thx all for the respond.

well i might just stay with a stock cpu then, im on a budget so i cant spend much !

and yes , im canadian :)

but another question come in my mind , what will be a good mobo for OC ? ( maybe ill spend more :) )

regard

grav

Last edited:
If you only want to push to 4.4 maybe 4.5 the M5A99X Evo is a good board and I had my Fx 8350 up to 4.4 on it. Though I don't know about the R 2.0 version. If you're on a budget that should be a good board, other good choices are the Gigabyte 970A UD3 or the Gigabyte 990FXA UD3, though I believe there have been some issues with the newer revisions of the 990fxa. If you could expand your budget, the Sabertooth, Johan and Rocket suggested is your best bet.

thx all for the insight !

going to buy my computer on this thuesday , will receive it in about a week.

may i just ask another question , when you say " M5a99x, my old boArd, was fine with my 8320, oc at 4.5, 125 $ on ncix. " rocket47 , what was your cooling system and why you change your board to sabertooth after?

regards

grav

thx all for the insight !

going to buy my computer on this thuesday , will receive it in about a week.

may i just ask another question , when you say " M5a99x, my old boArd, was fine with my 8320, oc at 4.5, 125 $ on ncix. " rocket47 , what was your cooling system and why you change your board to sabertooth after?

regards

grav

The cooling is the corsair h60, its ok.

I have sold the m5a99 to my friend.

@"grav". You ask why "rocket47" moved to the Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. He did it for the same reason most of us that REALLY push an FX processor for. So that the board has a tough enough cpu power circuit to handle the extreme power demands that an FX processor draws from the cpu power circuit.

The Sabertooth 990FX; the CHV series and the Asrock 990FX EXT9 are all known boards that work for pushing the FX processor beyond 4.4Ghz with 8 cores with very g00d cooling for the cpu.

Now why don't " I " mention the 990FX UD3, the 990FX UD5 and the 990FX UD7. Well the UD3 boards have morphed from fairly good with caveats to in the dumpster for FX 8 cores to no idea really now. The UD5 and UD7 have had next to NO exposure in the hands of known to us users. All the early UD5's and UD7's had bios issues. I have 'heard' but not witnessed any really current UD5 luvin but hear that they do pretty good now. Do they really? No factual idea. The MSI GD-65 and GD-80 are reported to be fair boards but I would not spend my money to 'try' one when I know of some that do work.

NOW when I spend my money, I would rather spend it with boards that the one's whom help in here all the time, DO use. WE have helped so many users with not so good boards and have them finally upgrade to Sabertooths and ChVs and maybe a new EXT9 from Asrock and do good when they get g00d or make that very g00d cpu cooling. That is really where it is at.
RGone...

i must say , a big thanks to all for the repond !

now i can do a really clear descision ! will post again after my purchase , will probably go for the M5a99x with the H60 for a premium of around 60$ compare to a stock 8350 with stock cooling and Asus m5a97 r2.0.

The second pci-e slot has broken when i pulled out the gpu....1st time it happened... Thats why i have bought a new board, i need 2 slots to crossfire.

I wasnt really happy, with the new house, the car, i didnt have really the money to get a new board:(

The m5a still runs fine with 1 gpu in the first slot.

Good luck and enjoy grav,

Later,

Last edited:
Oh I should add that also get the BEST case you can afford. This is where most people actually throw money away in my opinion. I've gone through 2 cases before I realized that functionality and practicality WAY out weigh style. Get a case that will be easy to work with and that will keep your build cool and tidy. After you have established those features then look at the style. You don't have to get a 200 dollar case but don't skimp out and then end up having to buy another one down the line.

Back