• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Primary and SATA Secondary HDD Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EGAJohn

Registered
Hello everyone! I've been working on a build and I'm currently configuring my hard drives. I have 1 Seagate 100Gb IDE that I use for my OS and other software but a friend of mine gave me a Seagate 500Gb SATA that he claims is "Crashed". Now I'm not sure that it's crashed because it powers up, spins, and makes the basic sounds of a HD. Anyway, when I start up my pc and have both connected to the mobo and powered, I fail the post and it gives an error stating that my hard drive failed and to insert boot disk. Well when I just run the IDE everything works fine. When I go to my bios the IDE is recognized but I cant find the SATA anywhere. The only options in my config are IDE 0 Master (My IDE's model #), IDE 0 Slave, IDE 1 Master, IDE 1 Slave. But when I unplug the SATA drive, the options then become IDE 0 Master (My IDE's model #), IDE 0 Slave, IDE 2 Master, IDE 2 Slave, IDE 3 Master, IDE 3 Slave and so on. My mobo only has 1 IDE input though so I'm very confused and need help!

I just checked my manual and bios and i found on chip sata Disabled: Disable SATA Controller, Auto: Auto arranged by BIOS, Combined: PATA and SATA are combined Max of 2 IDE drives in each channel, Enhanced: Enable both SATA and PATA Max of 6 IDE drives supported.

Back