• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nailed it..................on paper.........maybe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tigh10

Registered
here is the computer i have planned.......................on paper haha, i am a novice and this will be my first computer build.

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Cooling Custom Liquid System
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop
Power Supply Corsair 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor Undecided

my plans are to have one video card and one monitor at first, but will be running 4 video cards and 5 monitors at a later time, this rig is for gaming, thats it. gaming only.

my experience with technology is basic, i understand the basics but anything more then that i am learning now. mechanic wise i consider myself highly skilled.

i am open to suggestions and gripes, pretty much anything that i can learn from, thats why im here........................ let it begin

This a really good build. Have fun.

Everything is pretty straightforward except the watercooling. Maybe you want to share what you are going to get.

A couple of things.

If you are going to run multi-monitors in the future, that is the wrong video card.

You will need at least 4 gigs of memory per card as Vram does not stack.

This being your first build, I would suggest getting the system up and running as an air cooled system first. It will make any trouble shooting and rebuilding much simpler.

You can always add the WC at a later date.

Are you benching this system cold? If not, that MoBo is hundreds of dollars of overkill.

i am leaning towards acrylic tubing so i can work with it to get the bends and look i want, as far as the actually components, i have just scratched the surface on reseaching liquid cooling for computers, i am familiar with liquid cooling systems, just not for a computer, i see bitspower alot and i read a lot of negative stuff about alphacool. i want to put the cooling blocks on the video cards as well. i am a true believer in you get what you pay for and with what i am paying for, i dont feel like going with the "more affordable WC products". is it better to piece a WC system together from different companies or is there a true leader in this area that sales the best quality hands down?

A couple of things.

If you are going to run multi-monitors in the future, that is the wrong video card.

You will need at least 4 gigs of memory per card as Vram does not stack.

This being your first build, I would suggest getting the system up and running as an air cooled system first. It will make any trouble shooting and rebuilding much simpler.

You can always add the WC at a later date.

Are you benching this system cold? If not, that MoBo is hundreds of dollars of overkill.

thanks for the advice, i have a couple of questions, if i was planning on running 3 monitors with 3 video cards, is it still the wrong choice for a video card(s) and if so? can you give me suggestions on video cards i should look at instead?

probably be smarter for me to stick with air cooled, i keep going back and forth, right now it is all paper and options, i will def consider just sticking with air, though

i am new to building computers as well as a lot of tech terminology, FNG Alert: can you explain what you mean "Are you benching this system cold?"

There are better SSDs for the money. M4 was top-dog a year ago and still is good, but the Samsung EVO and Sandisk Extreme II are better.

I just switched from an M4 to an EVO and notice a bit of difference in load times/ responsiveness.

Going with the i7 over the i5 shouldn't be the automatic decision on a large budget. Check out this article. You'll have the same experience with both in games and the i7 can sometimes hamper performance because of fluctuations.

No game will make use of more than 8GB of RAM any time in the near future. It's only $50 more, but still. Also, there's no calculable difference in 1600 vs faster RAM in games, so I say go with whatever is cheapest.

I agree with the comments about the vram size being too small, motherboard being overkill if you aren't overclocking heavily, and watercooling needing to be a secondary purchase once you get some experience under your belt.

You're definitely on the right track and it does look like a fun build :)

thanks for the advice, i have a couple of questions, if i was planning on running 3 monitors with 3 video cards, is it still the wrong choice for a video card(s) and if so? can you give me suggestions on video cards i should look at instead?

probably be smarter for me to stick with air cooled, i keep going back and forth, right now it is all paper and options, i will def consider just sticking with air, though

i am new to building computers as well as a lot of tech terminology, FNG Alert: can you explain what you mean "Are you benching this system cold?"

1) You won't need a separate GPU for each monitor. A single 780 will likely run an eyefinity setup with no issues. If you go SLI in the future, the cards will be linked together through a bridge, but you'll still run all the monitors out of just one of the cards (AFAIK).

2) He meant, will you be using "extreme" cooling to run benchmarks on this machine. You said this was a gaming computer only, so I think we can assume, no.

1) You won't need a separate GPU for each monitor. A single 780 will likely run an eyefinity setup with no issues. If you go SLI in the future, the cards will be linked together through a bridge, but you'll still run all the monitors out of just one of the cards (AFAIK).

2) He meant, will you be using "extreme" cooling to run benchmarks on this machine. You said this was a gaming computer only, so I think we can assume, no.

you are correct in your assumption. dumb question: you can run eyefinity with an NVidia card, or am i getting this confused with something else?

You can run Eyefinity with AMD or Nvidia cards. Another option would be an AMD 7970. You'd save a good chunk of change and performance would be on par with the 770.

here is the computer i have planned.......................on paper haha, i am a novice and this will be my first computer build.

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Cooling Custom Liquid System
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop
Power Supply Corsair 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor Undecided

my plans are to have one video card and one monitor at first, but will be running 4 video cards and 5 monitors at a later time, this rig is for gaming, thats it. gaming only.

my experience with technology is basic, i understand the basics but anything more then that i am learning now. mechanic wise i consider myself highly skilled.

i am open to suggestions and gripes, pretty much anything that i can learn from, thats why im here........................ let it begin
I havent read the other posts, but.... yikes.

5 monitors? How do you plan to game on 5 monitors? I can see 6, but 5 I can't fathom how that would work...Assuming that somehow works, you will want more than a 256bit memory bus and 2GB of vRAM. You will need to look at the 780 from Nvidia, or the 7970 from AMD.

16GB of ram for a gaming machine is overkill... but so is this machine in the first place...

AS far as SSD's go... OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Vertex, Samsung 840 Pro, Samsung 840 Evo, Sandisk Extreme II, or Adata XPG SX900 series. The M4 is a bit long in the tooth these days.

EDIT: After reading the thread now... for 3 monitors I would get 2 780's. One 780 will not cut it well with modern titles moving forward.

I also agree to get a lesser motherboard since you are not 'extreme cooling'.

Tigh,

As for your video card question, you should read this thread.

How much GDDR do I need to run my game?

When I talk about 'stacking Vram', this is what I mean.

If you have two GPU's in you system, and they both have 2 gigs of Vram, you still only have 2 gigs available.

This especially becomes an issue with multi-monitor setups. In that thread you will see that 2 gigs is barely enough for 1080p (one monitor).

Tigh,

As for your video card question, you should read this thread.

How much GDDR do I need to run my game?

When I talk about 'stacking Vram', this is what I mean.

If you have two GPU's in you system, and they both have 2 gigs of Vram, you still only have 2 gigs available.

This especially becomes an issue with multi-monitor setups. In that thread you will see that 2 gigs is barely enough for 1080p (one monitor).
To add to this ^^, there are 4GB versions of that GPU available, however, the 256bit bus will hold things back a bit which is why a 780 or 7970's were suggested. With 7970's and Eyefinity, there is still some runt frame/microstuttering issues so be prepared to possibly see that until AMD fixes it.

Yes.

So, as ST mentioned, you planning on putting 5 monitors in portrait for gaming? Are you going with three now? What is the current plan now that we filled in some details?

i see why the video card i picked was wrong, now im looking at the 780 and Titan haha <--------- evil laugh. still tryin to pick a MoBo. Appologies ST, eventually i would like to have 5 monitors, one center, two on each side, thin bezels, all standing on their sids.
on this build i will go with 3 though...................for now.....................maybe

If you can wait, the new AMD cards release next month.

I would hold off until then if you can and see what happens.

Back