• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Windows 7 registry error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaeldre

Registered
For the last few weeks, my poor computer has randomly been locking up on me. Like, completely freezing up, distorting any audio... Sometimes it lasts for a few seconds and sometimes I have to manually restart my computer. I've run CCleaner and ran a registry scan via the command prompt. Neither one of them seemed to help. I've run multiple virus and malware scans as well as a deep defrag. Nothing seems to help. These freezes seem to happen when I have more than one Firefox window open (spread across two monitors), when I'm browsing image-heavy sites such as Tumblr, sometimes during loading screens in SW:ToR.

Something was going on with my computer prior to this issue. Back in July, when we have a LOT of thunderstorms, there was a pretty nasty power surge. When I say 'nasty', I mean that the power would go off, flicker like it was trying to come back on, come back on, then go off completely, rinse repeat. My computer is plugged into a surge protector but I noticed that, after the storm, my computer wouldn't completely shut down. Windows would shut down just fine and my hard drives would spin down...but my power supply was still going as well as the fans. Since then, I've been having to manually power off my computer. I thought it was a power supply issue such as my power supply getting on in years, but after getting a replacement earlier in the week (replacement of a replacement, actually. First one was DOA) and installing it last night, I'm still having this issue. Google is no help.

I'm not sure if the freezing is due to a corrupt registry file somewhere or due to a piece of hardware damaged by the constant forced shut-downs. Regardless, I can't be the only one that's had this problem (and I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm still new here!). I've checked and made sure that all of my driver are up to date, ad they are.

I've installed a RAM and CPU monitor to check and see if my RAM and CPU usage spike any during these lockups.

That sounds about right.

Now... what could be the cause of my shut-down issue?

This PSU is brand new. That was my first thought when this all started happening. A mobo issue sounds more likely. Shame, since this mobo is still new. I can whip out my ancient AMD board and run some tests with that.

Back