• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help overclocking my cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

hello i have an ASUS M2R32-MVP motherboard with a phenom 1 X4 9600 2.3Ghz cpu in there sadly the phenom 2's arent supported and when i go into the jumper free overclocking setting in my AMI bios the option to the change the cpu and motherboard voltage settings is greyed out and i cant get my cpu to OC above 2.4 my target range is 2.6 to 2.8Ghz but i can settle for 2.6 so what are my options if you need any more info let me know

You will have to look in your own manual and see if there is a main voltage setting that is Auto now and when set to manual might allow the two voltages to be changed.

It is possible that with the cpu not supported the motherboard is graying out the two voltages since the cpu is not recognized.
Misread the first post. So check manual for voltage adjustment how-to.

Last edited:
but the cpu is supported and i upgraded to the bios version that supports it phenom 1's are supported phenom 2's are not

i have an asus motherboard and the voltage settings for the cpu are greyed out the cpu i have in there now is a phenom 1 x4 9600 is there another way i can adjust the voltage so i can overclock my cpu

Last edited by a moderator:
kaitlin, could you be more specific with your setup please. Mother board model, would be helpful.

asus M2R32-MVP bios version 1009 Phenom X4 9600 (HD960ZWCJ4BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core

Last edited:
I simply typed into google >> Asus M2R32-MVP >> clicked on the second or third "hit" and went to page #2 of the review and there are pictures of the bios that are a MUST if you can be helped at all.
http://techreport.com/review/11629/asus-m2r32-mvp-motherboard/3

First picture on that page shows AI Overclocking at top of picture. If that is n0t set to manual then the other choices will n0t be adjustable. If swapping that to AI Overclocking = Manual, does not allow you to change the voltages and they stay grayed out >> then there is likely nothing that can be done to up the voltage to the cpu.

From the review >> On the voltage front, the M2R32-MVP supports processor voltages up to 1.5625V in 0.0125V increments. The BIOS also features a "VCORE Over-voltage" option that seems to increase the processor voltage by an additional 0.128V.

could my crappy 380 earth watts psu be the reason why i cant change voltage as i set it to manual and still nadda

also is there a program i can download and install that will allow me to increase the voltage for the cpu so that i can then restart into the bios as OC from there

Last edited by a moderator:
could my crappy 380 earth watts psu be the reason why i cant change voltage as i set it to manual and still nadda
No the Psu doesn't have any say in what the BIOS allows. In reading the link Rgone posted it say the Voltage is adjustable in 0.0125V increments, so it should be adjustable.

also is there a program i can download and install that will allow me to increase the voltage for the cpu so that i can then restart into the bios as OC from there
You could always try amd overdrive, though using windows based programs can sometimes cause instability. You are always better off learning to use the BIOS.

i have used the bios i even set the over clock settings to manual and everything is fine but all of the voltage settings for bios version 1009 are greyed out

That is a pretty old motherboard. 580 crossfire chipset from about 2006. Most of us upgrade before that. I have had a lot of motherboards (not that one) but after awhile one's memory just forgets the really old stuff. Period.

I did a little search of that board and bioses and found pretty quick that Asus says right there where you download the bioses that certain bioses and certain Stepping cpus do n0t overclock. Maybe you have a B3 stepping cpu and would not necesarily OC as Asus says. Who knows?

Maybe you need an earlier bios or maybe the later bios. Those are the situations you get into when trying to run really old products.

Or use software if it will change what you want to change. Maybe it is unstable in windows. Maybe not. Try what you think will work and see if it does and does so stabily and effectively. We in the end do not care as long as you get what you want. It is your parts and pieces. If it works for you then go for it.

Kaitlen, I have an old Athlon 64 x2 6000+ that I like to OC. I was having an issue when trying to get over a certain overclock, which turned out to be the BIOS needed to be updated. Maybe you need to update the BIOS.

There are three bioses later than your 1009 >> 1105, 1106 and 1109. On that old board there is not a lot that can be guessed at. Try the software for Vcore change. If it works that is good. If it does not, then nothing lost either since you cannot change it now with it grayed out.

You might go over to the Asus mobo forums and see if there are any left-over posts or maybe search that forum for others that used that older board. Might hit on something there. Here in this forum, you are just hoping that someone had that older board some years ago and just happens to see your post and come in and answer if they had the same problem. Honestly that does not happen real often though.

Well then sadly you seem done. Or try the software. You are on your own it seems as I could not raise any decent info on that old board.

I see this has been dead for a bit but I was a bit confused with my voltage settings on my 890fxa-gd65 just a week ago as well. The voltage options were all grayed out as well and I couldn't manually set the levels I wanted. I selected a grayed out voltage which was set to auto and pressed random keys until I hit the + and - keys and it changed the voltage :D. Give that a try and see if it works?

Yeah, you have to take section headers off of Auto in order to have the manual tools show up and not be grayed out.

how do i take the headers off

Usually at the beginning of a section say voltages there will be a header that say Auto or something like that and the greyed voltages under it. If you select the "Auto" and hit enter you may have the options for Manual and offset appear as well that you can select. If you select manual all your voltages should not be grey any more. "If" you have that option.

the voltages are grey because the bios that supports my cpu is a beta and there no non beta bios that supports my C3 stepping cpu

Back