• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not sure where to post this question my pc randomly shut off help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

hello while i was playing homefront my pc randomly shut off and idk why im running xp pro 64 bit on an asus mobo when i opened the case after it hasd shut off i noticed the led on the motherboard was still lit green i then unplugged the psu power cord from the psu and let it cool off i did however notice some wires from the psu were touching the amd cpu heat sink and they were a little warm so i moved them away from the heat sink and secured them to the case via velcrow this is the first time my pc has shut off like this this is a new psu i just bought today heres the model info for the psu Lead Power GOLD ATX 12CM Fan 650W Silent Power Supply
Power Specifications:

115V, 230V switchable power supply
60/50 Hz
+3.3V, 30A
+5V, 36A
+12V, 30A
-12V, 1.0A
+5Vsb, 2.0A
Maximum output:

650W

Working Temperature:

0°C ~ 50°C

Input voltage:

115VAC / 230VAC

Input frequency:

60Hz ~ 50Hz

Storage and shipping Temp:

-40°C ~ 55°C

Humidity:

20% ~ 80%

Response:

Less than 1 ms

the power supply didnt feel hot it felt maybe a little bit warm but it seems to be running fine altho i havent played any games since it turned off of and my gpu is an HD 4890 and im running a molex to 6 pin pcie adapter and yes i have both molexes pluged in and running off the psu why did it turn off and how can i prevent this from happening again if you need more info let me know btw heres more info i found out about my psu
Other features over current protection, over power protection, short circuit protection, and 100% full load burn in. This protection will allow you not to worry about the power supply burning out by too much voltage, power, or even a short circuit. Powerful and efficient power supply that cost less, more bang for the buck.

It's good to question the integrity of your psu, but it can be any number things such as the motherboard being shorted out. Don't rule out other possibilities.

well my computer was fine before the new psu was put in im just trying to figure out what caused said shutdown so it doesnt happen again im guessing it was the fact that the wires for the psu got so hot that the psu shut it self off to prevent a short or a fire idk but thats my guess

well my computer was fine before the new psu was put in im just trying to figure out what caused said shutdown so it doesnt happen again im guessing it was the fact that the wires for the psu got so hot that the psu shut it self off to prevent a short or a fire idk but thats my guess

So this was a new PSU?

Just checked it cause I have never heard of the brand and oh my is it cheap. I'd probably do some research to see if there are any known problems with it. I've had psu wires touching all kinds of hot hardware before and have never known them to just shut off.

It would also help if you gave us all your pc specs like my sig below. If you have higher end components and your psu does not have a legit 12v rail then that could be a major problem.

ive bought other brand name psu.s for the same price i paid for my new psu which was 30 so i dont think the psu is junk my local pc parts store said its a decent psu for the price

IF there were NO issues until you changed the power supply, then either the power supply has a problem or the power supply is not up to the job or you made an error in hooking it up to the mobo. To be anything else would be a big coincidence.

ive bought other brand name psu.s for the same price i paid for my new psu which was 30 so i dont think the psu is junk my local pc parts store said its a decent psu for the price

"Decent for the price" is a fair description. At that price, any PSU claiming 650+ watts has a high probability of being a POS. A "decent for the price" POS really isn't much better than an expensive POS. Even in the $60 to $75 range, there's a lot of crap mixed in.

i checked all of my connections there solid and my psu does have 30 volts on its 12 volt rails and it only happened while in game maybe i should play the game again to see what happens

well im gonna play the same game again and see if i recreate the problem or not as all of my plugs are seated in tight ill report back on how it goes

Last edited by a moderator:
Below are the specs for a later 630 Watt, ATX type power supply that meets at least ATX 2.1 standards.

ATX12V v2.3 & EPS12V v2.92

+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@50A, [email protected], [email protected]

Anytime you see a 500 watt to 700 watt power supply that shows 30 something amps on the +3.3V and +5V rails of the power supply you can be sure it is a very old design power supply and does not have an adequete +12Volt rail for modern computers that draw the majority of their power from the +12Volt rail which includes the power to modern cpus thru an 8 pin Cpu Power Connector.

my dual core amd has a 4 pin cpu power connector not an 8 pin and my pcie 4890 amd card only has 2 6 pin pcie

I would purchase a new PSU that is modern. It looks like the PSU you have now does not have enough watts on the 12v rail.

but my psu has 30 amps on the 12 volt rails

For comparison, a Corsair HX650 can provide 54 A @ 12 V (648 W). Your PSU can only provide 360 W at 12 V. You're really going to need to provide a list of your actual hardware for better help.

Last edited:
well what else can i do other then contacting the ebay seller to returnt he item which i have already done all i really wanna do is figure out what caused the psu to shut off randomly in the first place

You can't just look at how much current is on the +12V rail.

Good power supplies have multiple +12V rails because one rail alone can't supply enough power. For example the following 650 watt power supply can handle modern power needs much better. You may not need one as good as this but at least the contrast shows that power supplies really vary in their quality.

Antec TP-650 650 watts power supply
+3.3V, 25A
+5V, 25A
+12V1, 22A
+12V2, 22A
+12V3, 25A
+12V4, 25A
-12V, 0.8A
+5VSB, 3.0A

+12V Rail 1: (20+4) main connector, Molex cable from PSU, SATA cable from PSU
+12V Rail 2: 4-pin ATX12V, 8-pin EPS12V
+12V Rail 3: PCI-E w/ blue stripe
+12V Rail 4: PCI-E w/ green stripe (modular)

well since im flat out broke till next month im going to play the game again and see if i can recreate the problem or if it was just a one time problem ill keep you guys posted

Some power supplies tend to be more intelligent at handling situations in which it is put under too much load or will blow and shut themselves off, ie it draws way too much power or something. That may be it, rather than the PSU just being bad or whatever.

well im assuming my current 650 watt psu is shutting off because it cant handle the load as it only shuts off when the gpu is under alot of load while im playing games

I had the same issue with my psu, I basically just setup the lowest voltages/frequencies for everything (cpu and ram in bios) and capped frame rate and card frequencies in the software to just what the game needed. I made some small changes to hardware like fans, and hd and is somewhat better now.

well my psu has 1 12 volt rail of 30 amps and when ever i play a game the pc shuts off after like 15 mins or so of game play but the only thing i upgraded in my current pc aside from the psu was i upgaded from an 8800gts to my 4890

im going to play another pc game to see if i get the same problem ill post back soon

correct me if im wrong but my psu only supplies a totaly of 30 amps on the 12volt rails and the 4890 requires at least 32 amps on the combined 12 volts could this be my problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Back