• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PC won't POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pzykotik

I came back home last night, found my network connection was out.

Reset the router, wait a few. Nothing. Reboot.

Get stuck on "Windows is starting..." screen. Reboot, safe mode boot logging.

Locks up on DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS when trying to boot safe mode with network or with bootlogging, boots just fine in no-network safe mode.

After trying to use different hard drives, I ended up installing Win7x64 on a 80gb HDD I had laying around. (Note: I installed it on a MBR drive, while my main is GPT. Maybe this has something to do with it.) It freezes on the last steps after rebooting.

Take out main drive, leave the 80gb, try to boot from linux CD. Error code.

One long, three short, a short pause and then one short.

Changing the RAM has done nothing. (There is a checklist for troubleshooting ram, I've done it, consider this.)

At this point, I am unsure if there was an escalating in the problems or if they are not related.

Is my motherboard faulty?

sounds like no vga detected beeps,
reinstall the video card and give it a try.

driver also.

Sounds like memory issue to me...

General AMI bios beep codes. It is ALWAYS advisable to check your own mobo manual for the troubleshooting beep codes.

AMI BIOS Beep Codes:
FIRST >>
1 long beep, > 3 short beeps > Memory test failure > A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

THEN your >>
1 short beep, > DRAM refresh failure > The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed

beep codes

here is a snip of the beep codes fron the online m5a97 evo manual.

Attachments

• bpp codes.JPG
    bpp codes.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 97
Hardware component failure, huh? I'll try reinstalling my GPU right away. It might fix the error code, but that's just the first part of the problem.

Edit: Woah. There's a reason why I keep "posting for help on OC.com" as a last resort, because I try to find it myself, and I know people here are AWESOME (I'm looking at you RGone).

I put the gpu back in, the error code is gone. (Damn, why didn't I think of this?)

Last edited:
...I don't get it.

I couldn't get on my PC before the error code, I was getting stuck, like I said in OP (here's the pastbin of the bootloggin I forgot to put in OP http://pastebin.com/1N3cpUsg)

Now I took off everything, got an error code, put the GPU back in... it works. I'll try to see if I can put it back together and keep working. If it doesn't I guess the RAM is faulty. (What could happen to ram anyways? In what circumstances ram will become faulty?)

Spoke too soon. For some reason it doesn't work now. Wierd thing is, it's the same setup. Only when it worked (went on the desktop and all) it was on my table. Then I moved it, plugged it, now it doesn't. What the...

Gets stuck at Windows is starting... BSOD: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. (Shall I remind you, 10 minutes ago, same setup, I made it on the desktop)

just tried. same deal.

i mentionned this before, but i tried installing win7 on a separate 80gb hdd, and it crashed right about when it was supposed to show me the desktop after rebooting, just like it does now when it starts.

try 1 stick of ram in each slot one at a time to see if it's a bad stick of ram.

I went in the mobo setting and switched PEG/PCI to PCI/PEG. I had no idea this could do anything, for it always was on the PEG/PCI position.

Solved? I still don't understand how it started. I think it's a bad GPU driver. Maybe the GPU itself is going bad. I guess I'll see soon enough when playing games.

if the issue returns i would over write the bios with a lower numbered one.
with all my piledriver cpu's I run the very first bios that supports bulldozer and it works out best for me.

I suspect more the gpu to be causing this for some reason... excessively long sessions of gaming might have killed it before its time. When I mean excessively long, I mean over 2000h of gaming in 9 months (knowing there is 6550h in 9 months).

As for the mobo, I intend to buy the one you have on your #1 rig. The gpu you got there is on my mind too.

Last edited:
I would not be to quick to suspect the card.
I have two gigabyte 5460's that have been on 24/7 for about three years now.
if you have fair cooling and not way overclocked I would suspect not.

Back