• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for am3+ mobo to OC my 1055t @4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aquitain3

Registered
I currently use an AM3 by MSI but I am unable to change ANY of the voltages and I am also unable to manually OC the "base clock".

I am looking for a motherboard am3+ that will let me do BOTH of these with my 125w chip safely. I am basically coming here to see if I need to get a 990 series or not because going with a 970 could save me 50%. I have heard that most new BIOSes will let me change base clock and voltages but not sure on the source.

Thanks guys and feel free to drop in any relevant info on motherboards for overclocking 1055t/locked PII's

I've been looking around for something similar, although I doubt i'll go as far as 4ghz. 960T unlocked and pushing it at 3.5Ghz have made my biostar a tad unstable since the VRMs weren't able to manage the power very well once I unlocked AND oced

I have been keeping an eye on this gigabyte board

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mmc=EMC-GD091613-_-index-_-Item-_-13-128-514&

I've read a lot of reviews on the 1.1 and 3.0 rev. boards, and they got meh to bad reviews for the fact that the VRM for the CPU over heat when pushed too far, given the heatsinks on it and the 8+2 phase I totally see that happening with a mild OC.

how ever new egg have been shipping Rev. 4.0 boards which now have a 8+2 Phase VRM with new parts and a different selection of caps as well as a new heatsink with the heat pipe between the chipset and VRM and it over all looks much beefier than the 3.0 and below boards.

I've not read any professional reviews on the 4.0 yet how ever the user reviews are pretty good and I haven't seen any thing about the new boards overheating.

Think I will be able to change voltages and overclock my locked processor with that? I was looking at that and the Asus, but man, I would rather get a nice 970 if I dont need a 990

Family AMD Phenom II X6
Model number 1055T
Frequency 2800 MHz
Clock multiplier 14

You want to overclock a locked multiplier 1055T to 4,000Mhz?
Humh. 285 x 14 = 3990Mhz or just 10Mhz short of 4.0Ghz.

It takes a good motherboard to run 285/286 FSB to multipiy by 14 to get to 4.0Ghz.

Did a g00gle search for overclocking the 1055T and "many" reported not being able to get beyond 3.5Ghz which is a 700Mhz overclock from the stock 2800Mhz speed of the 1055T. Some did make 3.7Ghz but I did not see many in doing the g00gle search. There were a few talking about 4.0Ghz and most were told quickly that such an overclock would be unlikely. Too much Vcore to go 1200Mhz over stock default cpu speed.

I hear you keep talking about the cheaper 970 chipset boards and you are going to get exactly what you pay for. Not likely enough board to reach 285 x 14 = 3990Mhz which is close to 4,000Mhz. 970 chipset boards no matter who makes them are considered as entry level boards and they are built like entry level boards and generally do not have heavy duty VRM circuits to carry the high current demands to really push a six core cpu even if it is Thuban based.

So get another cheapazz mobo like you are already having issues with and you will mostly remain just about where you are with your cpu speed. Plus you likely will have to have darn good water cooling to push 1200Mhz over stock speed on that 1055T cpu.

This Asrock 990FX Extreme4 has a fairly good VRM circuit and pretty fair bios and is cheaper than many 990FX motherboards. It might do the trick less expensively. There are a few more made by Asus that are similarly priced. But this board has a little heavier duty VRM according to specs. But it is for sure you need at least a good board to try for 285 FSB.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX Extreme4/index.us.asp

Family AMD Phenom II X6
Model number 1055T
Frequency 2800 MHz
Clock multiplier 14

You want to overclock a locked multiplier 1055T to 4,000Mhz?
Humh. 285 x 14 = 3990Mhz or just 10Mhz short of 4.0Ghz.

It takes a good motherboard to run 285/286 FSB to multipiy by 14 to get to 4.0Ghz.

Did a g00gle search for overclocking the 1055T and "many" reported not being able to get beyond 3.5Ghz which is a 700Mhz overclock from the stock 2800Mhz speed of the 1055T. Some did make 3.7Ghz but I did not see many in doing the g00gle search. There were a few talking about 4.0Ghz and most were told quickly that such an overclock would be unlikely. Too much Vcore to go 1200Mhz over stock default cpu speed.

I hear you keep talking about the cheaper 970 chipset boards and you are going to get exactly what you pay for. Not likely enough board to reach 285 x 14 = 3990Mhz which is close to 4,000Mhz. 970 chipset boards no matter who makes them are considered as entry level boards and they are built like entry level boards and generally do not have heavy duty VRM circuits to carry the high current demands to really push a six core cpu even if it is Thuban based.

So get another cheapazz mobo like you are already having issues with and you will mostly remain just about where you are with your cpu speed. Plus you likely will have to have darn good water cooling to push 1200Mhz over stock speed on that 1055T cpu.

This Asrock 990FX Extreme4 has a fairly good VRM circuit and pretty fair bios and is cheaper than many 990FX motherboards. It might do the trick less expensively. There are a few more made by Asus that are similarly priced. But this board has a little heavier duty VRM according to specs. But it is for sure you need at least a good board to try for 285 FSB.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX Extreme4/index.us.asp

Thanks for the very relevant info about FSB. Let me rein you in a bit though. The 1055t is overvolted at stock, and should be able to do 4ghz at stock voltages or just slightly over. One thing that I am sure of is that I can push her really far without changing much voltage. This is why I want ultimate control and capability in my mobo.

I appreciate your information about the 970 boards being cheaper and I will def bite the bullet and go with one of the $$125+ am3+ boards. Thanks.
A friend told me a high end 970 with good heatsinks around the socket would be fine, but unless you agree with that, I will take your original advice(and my gut instinct) and go with the 990.

By the way, when you were referring to the FSB, were you assuming I wanted to leave the HT link, memory, and everything else at the levels that the 280 FSB would put them at? This is not the case and if that changes my need for a 990 please let me know. I will probably lower them to safe operating standards before saving setttings as I do in my current FSB O.C. config.

Thanks for the very relevant info about FSB. Let me rein you in a bit though. The 1055t is overvolted at stock, and should be able to do 4ghz at stock voltages or just slightly over. One thing that I am sure of is that I can push her really far without changing much voltage. This is why I want ultimate control and capability in my mobo.

This methodology in thinking doesn't usually work when overclocking. Silicon doesn't scale linearly. Some doesn't scale at all. If you think your processor is already overvolted at stock settings, chances are that you'll have even less of a chance of achieving your 4 GHz goal. Not saying it can't be done mind you, but you'll need a very good board and very good cooling to get what you want. You underestimate the task at hand, you'll spend money twice doing it right. ;)

I didn't notice that overvolted bit..

so yea I would get an AM3+ board because when you get a new cpu you'll be able to run it to its full potential. if its already overvolted at stock speeds good luck.

I got lucky, 2 cores unlock and OC to 3.0Ghz on stock voltage, how ever much beyond that require hard core juice and hence the problems I am having with my motherboard

DO NOT get a GA990FXA-UD5. I had a 1055T and UD5 REV1.0 combo a couple of years ago and getting a stable overclock was a nightmare. Although, the board was capable of reaching a 300mhz FSB with only a little voltage boost. I wish I'd spent my dollars on a Crosshair V Formula.

DO NOT get a GA990FXA-UD5. I had a 1055T and UD5 REV1.0 combo a couple of years ago and getting a stable overclock was a nightmare. Although, the board was capable of reaching a 300mhz FSB with only a little voltage boost. I wish I'd spent my dollars on a Crosshair V Formula.
Hmmm......the UD5 is a very good board. It's no CHVF, but still a very capable board. Thinking your issue was more of a (politely speaking) user issue, or maybe processor issue.

Hmmm......the UD5 is a very good board. It's no CHVF, but still a very capable board. Thinking your issue was more of a (politely speaking) user issue, or maybe processor issue.

Ehem.. We are talking about the REV 1.0? Capable? Yes. A very good board? No. Defiantly not good enough to recommend to anyone. The problem I had with the UD5 was with the vdroop and the way the bios handled voltage changes. E.g. "Normal" CPU voltage 1.35. Select +0.025 and the new voltage would be 1.26. Select 0.050 and the new voltage was 1.32. That is what made it hard to overclock. Even when I put a FX8350 in it, the behaviour was the same. Compensating for the odd voltage regulation was the only time I get stable overclocks but I was unhappy with seeing 1.55 volts running through my processors and have it droop to 1.37 under load. The UD5 has poor power regulation and supply. Go look it up.

@ Blaylock. This board ASRock 990FX Ext9 is beginning to show up in some other forums with pretty good results with pretty hefty overclocked FX processors which are all that is really good for overclocking in most online etailers catalogs. I think we have one user in this forum section that has posted with one but not sure how he is getting along.

If I had no board at all and was going to eventually go Vishera (FX), I would get the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 non-GEN3. But since I have a good Asus CHV, I might myself give the Asrock EXT9 a whirl since it seems doing pretty well on some sites. But if the OP is never going FX processor then he could save a little money with the Asrock 990FX EXT4 but as you said not a lesser mobo when he is going to have to clock on the FSB.
RGone...

Not sure what actual budget is but if your looking to maximize your CPU spending the minimum cash look into these boards.

#1. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 -Non GEN3

#2. ASRock 990FX Ext9

#3. ASRock 990FX Ext4

I would steer clear of MSI and be leary of any Gigabyte under the UD7 which is more $ than the three listed anyhow.

Anything below the EXT4 would probably be to little of an upgrade to be worth the money.

A final thought would be to get a used board on Ebay or the Classifieds here once you qualify.

Happy hunting! :popcorn:

Thank you for the links and "conclusion" here. I guess no way to pay much less than 150 :(

This methodology in thinking doesn't usually work when overclocking. Silicon doesn't scale linearly. Some doesn't scale at all. If you think your processor is already overvolted at stock settings, chances are that you'll have even less of a chance of achieving your 4 GHz goal. Not saying it can't be done mind you, but you'll need a very good board and very good cooling to get what you want. You underestimate the task at hand, you'll spend money twice doing it right. ;)

I have a the Noctua c-14, a fractal r4, and 6 140mm fans.

I am not talking out of my rear... I used to run her at 3.5 and UNDERvolted.

I am no expert and I really appreciate the conversation which is why Im responding with this info.

What if I told you that Linus Tech tips(yea, that guy) has a youtube video supporting my claims of 4 GHZ being very easy to achieve.

At this point, the big thing for me is getting a capable mobo-bios and taking the advice from this thread and getting a mobo that is capable of running high cpu bus. Anything else I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me put it this way if this is the criteria >> capable of running high cpu bus. >> #1. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 -Non GEN3 >> would be my choice because the R1.0 of the Sabertooth was out before the FX processors came and they were very good pushing early 1090T and 1100T which were the Thubans of choice for overclocking before AMD dried them up.

I would use the earliest version bios I could get for the Sabertooth R2.0 since the later bioses are definitely slanted toward FX processors.
RGone...

Let me put it this way if this is the criteria >> capable of running high cpu bus. >> #1. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 -Non GEN3 >> would be my choice because the R1.0 of the Sabertooth was out before the FX processors came and they were very good pushing early 1090T and 1100T which were the Thubans of choice for overclocking before AMD dried them up.

I would use the earliest version bios I could get for the Sabertooth R2.0 since the later bioses are definitely slanted toward FX processors.
RGone...

Thanks pal. One last question. If insist on a recent FX style board, assuming that they all allow advanced tweaking, which one would RGone chose if he had a 1055t that could hit 4ghz at stock? xD

I think RGone would go for the Sabertooth r2.0.
As he said, a great board for OC'ing Thuban with early Bios, and a great board for OCing FX with the latest ones. Despite the lack of Pcie3 (that would not really have an impact on perf anyway).

I just sold mine, and it was running both my 1075t and 1100t over 4.2GHz. It will take yoir CPU (either Phenom or FX) as far as it can go.

I second the Sabertooth 990FX. It's the first time I spent nearly 200 bucks on a board but it is worth every penny.

Thanks pal. One last question. If insist on a recent FX style board, assuming that they all allow advanced tweaking, which one would RGone chose if he had a 1055t that could hit 4ghz at stock? xD

Rgone just recommended the Sabertooth.

Back