• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd tb1.33ghz probs - is it Heat/Voltage/MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brodo

Hi all,

I am quite new to the OC scene, however I have read and read and read many many sites to think I know what I am doing :-}

My system:
--------
-Shuttle Ak11v3.x w/ VIA KT133A
-Athlong T-bird 1.33ghz (266fsb)
-Enermax EG465P-VE FCA (turned up to high apx 3200rpm)
-HSF: Thermaltake Volcano 7
Arctic SilverII on CPU core
-Thermaltake Exhaust Case Fan
-Northbridge has a heatsink and fan (TT orb would not fit due to
resisters in the way)
-Small Pent. Intake Case Fan
-HD fan
---------
Athlon mod:
L1 bridges came factory unlocked
L7 defogged to get max 1.85v
-------- -
WinXp

ok I hope I included everything.

My problem:
If I change the multiplier to 11.0 I can not get past 136FSB. When I say past I mean WinXP booting. I have tried 11.5 which puts me at no more than 133FSB. Anything over 11.5 (12/13/14) I have to start with 100FSB and work up, usually 106-110 before I can not boot.

Let me try to be more specific, I am trying to get over 1480cpu speed and although I would like to OC my FSB I would be happy with a 12x133 or 13x133.
My temps at 11x136 = 109-111ºF (from BIOS to OS idle) and have jumped to 118ºF after say 2 hours of UnrealTourni or TacOps or looping 3Dmarks2k1

I was running lower temps before I changed my voltage, but I thought I could get more than 1.9v to the chip if I made the change. Unfortunately I was wrong. Even if I tell the BIOS to go +.025 I stay at 1.90v. I have also tinkered with giving the FSB more voltage from the default 3.3v to say 3.55v but to no avail.

I get IRQL STOP errors, I sometimes get a black screen, sometimes I will get WinXP to boot and as soon as I receive video or start a SiSoft Sandra benchmark the machine cold boots.

Is this heat? Is this an issue with my Northbridge not cooled enough? I think my temps are between 78-88ºF on the system readings. Is this because I can not get more than 1.9v to my CPU (and if so any suggestions on how I can get it up -no pun intended-)

Any suggestions, I've got the OC fever bad :p

thanks,
brodo

Have you tried dropping your fsb, and upping the multiplier? I'm running a pretty similar system to yours, same CPU, same chipset. I'm running at 1482 at 45c load right now, 141x10.5 1.775 volts(in BIOS, shows as 1.82 in MBM). I'm on Win98SE, so that is different. I'm not familiar with the memory settings on that board, have you played with them, maybe made them less aggressive while cranking up the bus speed? I need to get a better fan before I try to go any higher. I don't think you have any hardware probs, it sounds good. Oh, how is your +5 volt line?

oh cool someone with similar hardware specs! What motherboard are you running, if I may ask?

I have successfully increased the FSB with a lower multiplier. Matter-of-fact I have achieved, stably, 142x10.5 - however I think I had my voltage much higher and I even increased my 3.3v to 3.45v. 148x10 worked as well. Now that I think about it - I have been able to get through WinXP and even run benchmarks with 152x10, however my PCI/AGP bus is overloaded and my NIC card fails. But it was great for a few non-3D benchmarks :p

I believe my 5v line to be good. I have used 3 different PSUs, thinking my 5v was dipping below 5v while in windows, which brought me to purchasing the Enermax 465. Only time the BIOS tells me that it dips below 5v is when I have the 3.3v up to 3.65v

I would be overjoyed having a 12x multiplier at 1.9v with my FSB at 135 (just to give my AGP and PCI a little kick in the performance pants). Of course anything greater on either end would make me a very happy and lucky man.

I also forgot to mentiont that I moved the heat sensor for my HSF down into the heat sink so that my fan runs over 4000rpms nearly 100% of the time. Previously the sensor was too far away from the heat source, IMO, and would have the fan barely hitting 4300 when my temp reading were 113ºF or higher.

So like you said I do not think it is hardware and I am still confident it is not heat (although I would not mind running 10º cooler still :-D )

--
Thanks for the reply post - let me know how you fair when you get a better fan as you mentioned.

brodo

I forgot, welcome to the forums!. 'm running a Abit KT7A. One plus they give you is you can run up thefsb/pci, and then they give an option to add to the fsb 1 at a time. It certainly sounds like you have a grasp of the issues, but it'd be pretty boring to get it perfect the first time out. That would leave you with no room for improvement! Back to work now, man shipping and receiving is boring!

heh, thanks for the warm welcome :p

My shuttle ak11 allows me to incriment the FSB 1mhz at a time as well, from 100-166. I ponder what a blissfull day it would be to achieve a 166FSB with my current system :-} Yes, it would have been a bit boring to get 150+FSB first time out... but to let you in on a little secret, I am actually the president of AMD! j/k

My secret is that I have already burned up my Athlon 1ghz in attempts to unlock and overclock - masking with tape and using defogger better suits me than my shaky hand and a #2 pencil!

And I did a lot of practice on a cheapy Duron 950 while I awaited the Athlon 1.33giger (note the talk as the heineken absorbs).

Shipping and receiving could be fun if you were dealing with anything you liked, heinkens, athlons, motherboards, pick your fancy.

:beer:

i'm off to attempt more combinations - I must MUST break the 1500 mark with stability.

brodo

Welcome to the Forums. Loved my Abit Kt7A and still keep it as a backup board (vmod and all). Brodo, get a thermometer at walmart and hang it up next to the computer. Most of the guys here are going to do celcius. The wall mount will help you to better relate to celcius. Again, welcome to the Forums.

well hey there silver, sit and have one with me :beer: ...

I couldn't tell you were a walmart is, nor the celsius to fahrenheit ratio :-}

almost sounded like if I was not to use celsius that nobody will know my temps, either that or nobody will like me :-o

I will try to post both I guess. my idle is 45ºC and about 47-48ºC under load.

Now I don't mind messaging back and forth with posts, but does anyone have a suggestion to my problem?

If not, I suppose I will just let ya'll know when I figure out on my own ... just hard to summon up that much patience.

brodo

Naaaah...people will talk to you however someone may be a little rude in telling you that so I tried to be a little nicer. Have you considered a vmod to the mobo?

you could say I have considered it (vmod to mobo), I was hoping I would not have to. The BIOS appears as though it would allow me to give the Vcore as mush as +0.225V over the default (which is now 1.9v).

with my duron 950 I could take it up to +0.175v over default, so my guess is that I still have some work to do on the CPU to get it over 1.9V

I have seen vmod info's left and right, however do you happen to have a couple links that you are partial to?

thanks-

btw: last night I pulled out my mobo, found a better heatsink for the Northbridge and applied with a tad of ArcticSilver2, reapplied AS2 to my HSF/Athlon (in case I messed up the first time, which I might have) and my temps are 25.0ºC for Board/System and 41.4ºC CPU idle, I have not pushed it yet. Also reading on AS's web page that one should see better cooling within 72 hours as the compound mixes (or something).

I am satisfied with those heat marks, especially after just reading in another thread that the Athlon 1.33 is AMD's 3rd hottest CPU, and I have defogged the voltage to 1.9v.

brodo

brodo said:
Hi all,

I am quite new to the OC scene, however I have read and read and read many many sites to think I know what I am doing :-}

My system:
--------
-Shuttle Ak11v3.x w/ VIA KT133A
-Athlong T-bird 1.33ghz (266fsb)
-Enermax EG465P-VE FCA (turned up to high apx 3200rpm)
-HSF: Thermaltake Volcano 7
Arctic SilverII on CPU core
-Thermaltake Exhaust Case Fan
-Northbridge has a heatsink and fan (TT orb would not fit due to
resisters in the way)
-Small Pent. Intake Case Fan
-HD fan
---------
Athlon mod:
L1 bridges came factory unlocked
L7 defogged to get max 1.85v
-------- -
WinXp

ok I hope I included everything.

My problem:
If I change the multiplier to 11.0 I can not get past 136FSB. When I say past I mean WinXP booting. I have tried 11.5 which puts me at no more than 133FSB. Anything over 11.5 (12/13/14) I have to start with 100FSB and work up, usually 106-110 before I can not boot.

Let me try to be more specific, I am trying to get over 1480cpu speed and although I would like to OC my FSB I would be happy with a 12x133 or 13x133.
My temps at 11x136 = 109-111ºF (from BIOS to OS idle) and have jumped to 118ºF after say 2 hours of UnrealTourni or TacOps or looping 3Dmarks2k1

I was running lower temps before I changed my voltage, but I thought I could get more than 1.9v to the chip if I made the change. Unfortunately I was wrong. Even if I tell the BIOS to go +.025 I stay at 1.90v. I have also tinkered with giving the FSB more voltage from the default 3.3v to say 3.55v but to no avail.

I get IRQL STOP errors, I sometimes get a black screen, sometimes I will get WinXP to boot and as soon as I receive video or start a SiSoft Sandra benchmark the machine cold boots.

Is this heat? Is this an issue with my Northbridge not cooled enough? I think my temps are between 78-88ºF on the system readings. Is this because I can not get more than 1.9v to my CPU (and if so any suggestions on how I can get it up -no pun intended-)

Any suggestions, I've got the OC fever bad :p

thanks,
brodo
Please give temps in degrees Celsius, this is an international forum.
Those temps are whats holding you back more than likely. you could try a different OS my 1.4 doesn't overclock worth a crap with windows 98SE but with WINME I hit 1650.

ok my temps eh...

running 1330 oc'd to 1519 with 1.89-1.91 VCORE and I am about 44ºC idle

I do not get much hotter when under load, about 46-47º

so you are saying that I can not boot up WinXP (STOP or IRQL error) becuase I am booting at say 46-48ºC, although it should be lower.

even still I would think that I could boot up WinXP and idle at 49-50ºC ... not that I would sit very long at those temps.

--

so let me ask this question, should I get a peltier thingy? heh I have been reading about them. could I just purchase a $20 peltier (heatsinkfactory.com) and put my HSF over the peliter and get amazing cooling?

if I have to spend another $60-$100 for cooling, maybe I should consider other options. like what could I do with $100-200 that would permit me to acheive 12x133 or higher overclocking with my AK11? I do not want to spend $60-100 just to maintain my current 1519mhz at 36ºidle/41ºload (but I would spend $30-$50 for it heh)

thanks to all,
brodo

oh and regardin Celsius v. Fahrenheit degree posting because this is an international forum ... does this mean Fahrenheit is not recognized internationally?

just curious, not trying to start an international flame forum or anything.

brodo

brodo said:
oh and regardin Celsius v. Fahrenheit degree posting because this is an international forum ... does this mean Fahrenheit is not recognized internationally?

brodo

I got that directly from forum posting guidelines sticky. I couldn't say if there is other countries that use F. I just know most use C and it's easier if we just use one temp scale.

brodo said:

brodo

Had a heck of a time myself in the beginning. Hung that walmart thermometer next to me on the wall and kept checking every thing against it. Not too bad any more.:)

Back