• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V vs Crosshair V-Z unlocking cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr. McCoy

First off, be aware that I know that the CHV-Z version doesn't have this option in the BIOS but the older CHV version does - I happen to own one of each.

OK - my question is has anyone ever looked into this from a BIOS standpoint, be it a BIOS mod, trying a BIOS from the older CHV or whatever?

I know the Z version has all the basics as the older one including the same chipset. Would be nice if the feature could be carried over from the older CHV version and get cores to unlock with the Z version. I've never heard of anyone trying it (Yet) but if it has been done, would be nice to know.

Doc, just so your thread does not lie here dormant I will report that with fair g00gling skils or so am told, I found not the first inkling of bios mod to CHV-z board for unlocking.

Originally when Asus continued to allow unlockng of hidden cores; even after AMD asked that they cease and desist, Asus used a chip on the board to calculate the unlockability and then unlock the cores.

Asus modified the PCB from CHV to CHV-z and they may have run out of real estate for the unlocking chip they previously used. If that is the situation, then I would never expect a bios mod to include unlocking of cores as Asus was using a chip to unlock in conjucntion with the bios.

Heck no not what one would like to hear, but at least you did get a bump if nothing else. Start someone else's brain cells spinning.
RGone...

It looks like Rgone is right, if you want to unlock cores the chv-f-z is not for you.

Thanks guys. :thup:

I had been wondering about that, if anyone had tried it before to see if it was possible or not. Yes they did change the circuitry between the two boards and it's obvious from the differences in the layout of each board.
My older CHV that does is now my daily driver with the newer Z version used as my heavy OC'er.
Both versions are great boards, the Z being a little harder to tweak overall but each one delivers the goods - I really can't complain about either one.

Dr. mcCoy, I have both boards also and the formula is the better board and easy to clock also.
I also have a sabertooth and it is my best board all around.

The Sabertooth boards are awesome also - Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a CHV "lite" kind of board, all the performance without all the bells and whistles. I don't have one but maybe one day I'll pick one up to try it out.
BTW Caddi, is your the original version or the 2.0?

D_M, C_D has the original Sabertooth not the later R2.0. I speak with him regular outside the forum venue and for nearly a year and a half he has always liked his Sabertooth just a shade better than either of his CHV boards including the later Z version. He really does use a board. He puts near DICE voltages on it but is on water.

I have an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro, that he had for awhile and it is still tough as nails. So when I hear him say that 'he' is sort of partial to X, I certainly never discount it.
RGone...

you are correct about the chv-lite.
don't be to quice to poo-poo some of those features, bios flashback just saved my ch-v-f-z boad after corrupting my bios last night.

I'm with Rgone I see 4.5-4.6 as the working clock on your rig.

do'nt feel bad about it, with my 8 core my hammer the cpu clock is only 4.3, but it will sit at 80+ degrees for days on end.

Glad you was able to get it sorted out without too much hassle.
This might not be so much an absolute as a quirk between the two models but I know between my two boards the Z version can clock higher on the bus then the original one can - At least it's never gone near as high as my Z has.
I think the max I've ever got from the original was 284 and the Z tops 300 like it's nothing. I've seen somewhere before the originals have trouble getting past the 275 mark but again I've seen at least one or two top 300 as well. Guess it's luck of the draw if you get a really good one or not like finding a AM3 CPU that unlocks fully or not. Still I can't complain, the older CHV has served me well on air, water and DICE and has handled alot of abuse overall.
Began using the older CHV as a daily driver with the apparent death of my TA990FXE I had been using as a daily driver (My fault). Tried some sticks it didn't seem to like and now it acts like the power isn't plugged into it at all, it doesn't even show any status lights/LEDs to even indicate it's getting power in the first place. The first one I had layed down in the same exact fashion with the same exact sticks BUT these sticks aren't bad, they seem OK with my CHV's and haven't caused a problem there at all, no crazy behaviour or anything. Did an RMA with Biostar and the one I have now was it's replacement. Kinda bites it went down the same way as well but while it was working it was a good board. I had bought it to run as a daily driver but if it's dead, it's useless no matter what it was bought for.

D_M, C_D has the original Sabertooth not the later R2.0. I speak with him regular outside the forum venue and for nearly a year and a half he has always liked his Sabertooth just a shade better than either of his CHV boards including the later Z version. He really does use a board. He puts near DICE voltages on it but is on water.

I have an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro, that he had for awhile and it is still tough as nails. So when I hear him say that 'he' is sort of partial to X, I certainly never discount it.
RGone...

Just got a Saber 2.0 dropped off here and I'll test it shortly to see how good it is. Of course I have to make sure it even works first but if it's OK, it's off to do a few runs with it.

good choice dr. McCoy!!! I love mine. as a matter of fact it's doing unspeakable things to my 6300 right now and will continue through the night.
I just got flight simulator x and it's flying a 747 from la to aus. over night and the temps will be out of this world trying it at 5.0.

Believe this one might be OK but appears to be kinda picky on what RAM you use with it to get going. Luckily I have a set it seems to like so I'm good there.

I don't yet know it's potential and I will be finding that out soon. ATM I'm just running it with a Sempy to get a few things figured out with it. Noted the egg had these listed as "Sold Out" with a few open box units left.
I bought this one open box and did that to save a few $$, plus I've had good luck with stuff that way so far. My two CHV's were bought new but the older one is an RMA replacement board, the Z being OK from the beginning and still going.

CHV....CH5Z Dr McCoy

Dr. McCoy need some help......
I had a CH5-z board with a 8350 may be I did not have the a good Bios used it for a few hours.....didn't like it got scared sent it back to newegg.....
now I got a 9590 to have on hand....looking for a board that does it all and will sync Excellent with 8350 or 9590.....im a OC with phasechange cooler about -45c....
I would buy another CH5Z or CH5, coming from a CHIV Extreme 1100T
what is your Advice Dr..
Thank You

First off, be aware that I know that the CHV-Z version doesn't have this option in the BIOS but the older CHV version does - I happen to own one of each.

OK - my question is has anyone ever looked into this from a BIOS standpoint, be it a BIOS mod, trying a BIOS from the older CHV or whatever?

I know the Z version has all the basics as the older one including the same chipset. Would be nice if the feature could be carried over from the older CHV version and get cores to unlock with the Z version. I've never heard of anyone trying it (Yet) but if it has been done, would be nice to know.

didn't like it got scared sent it back to = that was your fault and not of the -Z board. Like Doc said it takes some finesse to clock the -Z board over what he felt with his earlier version of the CHV non-Z.

didn't like it got scared sent it back to = that was your fault and not of the -Z board. Like Doc said it takes some finesse to clock the -Z board over what he felt with his earlier version of the CHV non-Z.

Correct.
Either version of the CHV will do the job BUT I'm not sure if the 9xxx series has support with the older CHV version via a BIOS update - I'll have to check that.

The Sabertooth R2.0 should be just as viable a choice for these 9xxx chips as a CHV but it doesn't have all the extras the CHV series has. The important thing at this point would be to check the site of whatever brandname board you are wanting to buy and see if there is a BIOS update supporting these chips. If the model you are wanting has a BIOS supporting it, you're good to go but if not, you'll have to go with another model/make board. The CHV-Z being top of the line for Asus should not have a problem with anything AMD has to offer including the 9xxx series chips except maybe a BIOS update to fully support them.

All else with the CHV-Z is good.

Last edited:
ok guys thanks.....

I wanted to try out sabertooth but your saying the 9590 might not work due to bios for 9590?

I had a feeling the ch5-z board was the Bad MF here if you want to Rock, like someone said you gotta Learn that Bios in there the ch5z.
are there any Bios setting maped out yet to look at to give a helping hand screen shots CH5-Z

thanks
erixx system

Asus cpu support for CHV-Z shows the 9370 and 9590 both as supported.
RGone...

Oh yeah, I was sure the chips were supported but it may take a BIOS update for them to work as in once you take the board out of the box new. The board you get may have sat on a shelf in a warehouse for sometime and "Missed" the latest BIOS update.

@ Erixx: No prob to do with a regular AM3/AM3+ chip.

If the board works with your 9xxx series chip, you won't have to do any of the following but if not, here's what you do to get that sorted out.

First place a regular AM3 or AM3+ chip into the board, any chip for those sockets will do, even a Sempron.
Then download the newest BIOS file onto a USB flashdrive, then do the update with the utility in the board's BIOS. Next, confirm the board took the flash by letting it reboot once, then shut it down and turn off the powersupply with it's switch located on the back of the unit or simply unplug the PC itself from the electrical outlet. Next, remove the "Old" chip and set the new chip in with the heatsink/fan you want to use and be sure to use a good quality TIM or thermal grease with it (TIM and thermal grease are the same exact thing) - That's all there should be to it.

After you do all of that, turn the powersupply back on/plug the PC's cord back into the outlet, start the system, configure things like you want in the BIOS, save your settings and enjoy your new chip from there.

Hey Doc, I am pretty sure "johan45" is using his 9370 on his Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with a very early bios and no mention of any bios flash to make to work.

When I actually checked supported Cpus for the CHV-z and the 9370 and 9590 were shown, there was no specific bios listed to be flashed to make it work. I know the Asrock 990FX EXT9 is recommended for the 9370 and the 9590 and even it does not show to need bios update.

I run a very early Bulldozer bios for my FX8350 on CHV because it seems to be easier to overclock. So I am just about convinced there is no special bios requirement for FX-9xxx.
RGone...

That could be the case with the 9xxx chips.
Updating the BIOS if you are having a problem isn't a bad idea but then again possibly not required.
I'll have to ask him if that's the case with his or not or maybe he'll chime in here.

Speaking of boards, I need to try out the Saber I got last week to see how well it does with my FX chips. I'm hoping it does well enough for me and maybe it will.

Back