• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i need to make my own Molex to 4 Pin CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

My new motherboard need an extra 4 pin CPU, and my PSU only have 2x4.

Therefore I need to make my own.

I want to make sure that I am doing this right. So just to confirm, i'd like confirmation.

IMG_0929 (Custom).JPG

I assume I need to connect the 2 black wires from the 4pin cpu to the black wires (ground) on the molex. One black to each, and the two yellow 12v from the 4 Pin cpu to the one yellow on the molex.

You don't need it. I can't recall ever having used one with ambient cooling. When on LN2, I'd plug it in, but that's about it.

Oh geez, I didnt even see that it was supplemental to the 8pin.. +1 hokie... You don't need it. :)

You don't need it. I can't recall ever having used one with ambient cooling. When on LN2, I'd plug it in, but that's about it.

Okay, but its says in the manual of the Maximus VI formula, that the motherboard wont boot up unless all 3x 4 pin cpu are plugged in.

Apart from that, I winged it, and this is the result.

IMG_0930 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0931 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:
The manual says this: Do not forgot to connect the 4pin/8pin EATX 12v power plug, otherwise the system will not boot.

The 4pin/8pin is the one on the right. Plug is also singular. I have never used one either unless I was extreme cooling. Try just the 4/8 and report back.

Either way, nice job on the sleeving! :)

Just an FYI, I also have the M6F and it boots perfectly fine with just the 8-pin CPU power connected. Like the other have said, you really don't need it unless you're going extreme.

Just an FYI, I also have the M6F and it boots perfectly fine with just the 8-pin CPU power connected. Like the other have said, you really don't need it unless you're going extreme.

I am very sure you own it lol, nice review, been looking it over a lot past few days.

But if you say no need, I guess its true. But why would it only need the extra 4 pin CPU for extreme cooling?

Because of the power consumption being MUCH greater at say 6.3Ghz and 1.8v versus 4.5Ghz and 1.3v. ;)

The extra power isn't needed for extreme cooling, it's for extreme overclocking and the higher voltages that come along with it.

Power draw in those situations is more exponential than it is linear. You can draw small amounts of current at lower frequencies and voltages (ambient), but the power draw is much greater under extreme conditions with LN2 & high frequencies/voltages.

There are Asus AMD motherboards that will not boot without the 8P and the 4P populated, per what I've read in the AMD subsection.

Ahh ok, that makes sense, and yet not, since not many 4770K seem to go high enough.
That is where the extreme cooling comes in to play Pierre. The colder you can get it, the more voltage you can put through it and higher the clockspeeds go. Makes perfect sense. :)

You probably see them selling them because they are binning them to run faster under LN2. People into the more hardcore side of benchmarking bin CPUs to get ones that can run certain benchmarks at certain frequencies. They may clock perfectly fine on air/water, but don't get to the level they need for extreme benching. Thus, they buy several and sell the ones that don't do well under LN2 at a small loss. Or buy one, test it, if not good enough, sell for small loss, buy another...rinse & repeat ad nauseam until they find the right CPU.

Back