• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Goal: 5Ghz on fx8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamel

Hello fellow ocforum friends :)

I come for advice after tons of effort trying to figure this out on my own. Now, sometimes I can be dense so it's entirely possible the answer has been in front of my face this whole time but I haven't been able to see it.

I'm currently in the middle of a build of a fx 8320 and I've got a goal of overclocking it to 5Ghz. I already expect you guys to think I'm just some newb with unrealistic goals, but I assure you I'm not. Let me go ahead and address some of the questions I'm certain just popped into some of your heads as you read this.

1) Yes, I know that my goal is a stretch, and I know that even with all the right "stuff" I might not reach it.

2) Yes, I do actually have a use for 8 cores at 5ghz. I do a substantial amount of video editing and every mhz and every core makes a difference in my encode times. It also really adds up to a lot of time when you're looking at doing over an hour of an encode. Then when you realize you need to make a change and re-encode or you need to render previews to be able to properly view the adjustments you've made to a video etc the time really adds up and my time is somewhat valuable I think.

3) I do have lots of overclocking experience, but I will be honest, it has been a long time since I've done serious overclocking and a LOT has changed that I need to catch up on (last seriously overclocked system was an AMD mobile xp2500 clocked to 250x10/2.5ghz [this was before multi-cores came out]).

4) I have a Koolance Exos-2 with an EK Supreme LTX water block (there's nothing else in the loop) so I don't think cooling is going to be an issue. I will consider trying a low watt peltier if I need to, but I prefer stick to an ambient solution so I do not have to manage condensation.

I just really want to know what some of the best-for-overclocking motherboards are. I also do not want to spend $200+ for a motherboard if I can help it. I just want it to be a solid performer that will not bottleneck my overclocking abilities with the other components I have.

The only other requirement is that it does have to have USB 3.0 and SATA 3. These are critical to my work flow as I have 2 SSD drives in RAID 0 and a USB 3.0 memory card reader. It'd be cool if it was blue color themed since that's my color theme but honestly I only care about the performance, it can be any color it wants. I also am not above modding the motherboard if necessary, adding a waterblock (I believe I've got a small block I can use for the northbridge laying around somewhere if necessary). I also don't mind buying used or refurbished or flashing it or tweaking to get it to do what I want.

Any advice you guys can give would be most appreciated! If this has already been covered, please link me. I've looked but like I said in the beginning of this message sometimes I manage to miss the obvious things somehow. If I have, I apologize in advance.

Thanks!

If I were to get a mainboard, I would either get an ASUS Sabertooth or ASUS M5A99FX PRO. The ASUS CROSSCHROMEDOME V Formula is over $200+; $249 @ Newegg and $234 @ Tigerdirect.

look real close at the asrock extreme 9.
think about an 8350 over the 8320 it is better.

If I were to get a mainboard, I would either get an ASUS Sabertooth or ASUS M5A99FX PRO. The ASUS CROSSCHROMEDOME V Formula is over $200+; $249 @ Newegg and $234 @ Tigerdirect.

Sabertooth or the Asrock Ext 9 are my first picks for 5.0 at that price range, if your Cpu will do it and your cooling will hold up.

Do not get the M5A99Fx Pro, if 5.0 is your goal, 6+2 Power Phase Count isn't going to give you what you need to run 5.0 for real work.

Your FX processor will give you the challenge you seek!!
+1

I can do 5.1 stable on my CHV with the cooling in my signature, but wouldn't even try to run it there for extended periods of time. The performance gain compared to the amount of Cpu V needed to obtain 5.1 stable just isn't worth it. In addition the amount of heat is substantial, be prepared.

Thanks Mandrake, exactly the kind of direction I was hoping for. I think I'm going to snag this used sabertooth for $120 before someone else does. It's not r2.0 do you think this will matter?

Thanks Mandrake, exactly the kind of direction I was hoping for. I think I'm going to snag this used sabertooth for $120 before someone else does. It's not r2.0 do you think this will matter?

No as far as two or three of us are concerned; we have R1.0 stuff and we do NOT even use the latest bios since the earlier ones are better for us even with Vishera FX.

I saw you had posted over in my 4.3Ghz flatline thread and again thank you. I do not think 5.0Ghz is realistic on anthing but the heftiest of water cooling. I d0n't think that external Koolance Exos-2 with 2 fan type radiator will have enough capacity to remove the HEAT at 5.0Ghz and do so for hours to edit your video.

4.8Ghz is far more realistic and my own video editting speed. Now I do it with 16gigs G Skill Ares @ DDR3-1900 and it is a hoss. Now I have to say that most of my buds that hang here say I have a primo piece of silicon. My P-States are less astounding than some of the others, but they declare I have the real primo cpu for water cooling. Point? It will take a good cpu to go to even 4.8Ghz for hours on end as we do with Video Editting. Why do I forecast rain on your parade? Simplyto be realistic and as truthful as we are capable of in general. Could you get in your grasp a primo cpu? Sure it is like the same old dice roll we have always had.

Following along in my same old mode...they suggest FX-8350 over the FX-8320 and they should. Today AMD can bin so closely that the FX-8320's don't seem to have as much headroom as the FX-8350. Binning at AMD has changed a ton.

One of my buds in here called caddi daddi or C_D by myself and some others took my advice on three users I saw about 6 weeks ago that had what looked like three primo cpus. He went and checked 3 or 4 and did not find the primo one. The three users I saw were from all over the world, so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. So there were a few primo FX-8350s floating around just before they released the 9370 and 9590 but we could not find one north of you.

When clocking these 8 core FX's up, they get to a point about every 100Mhz after about 4.5Ghz where the next 100Mhz takes a big jump in cpu voltage and the HEAT then jumps like crazy as well. Long and short story as we have actually experienced the episodes across a number of us that keep in touch regular.
RGone...ster.

this is how I see it, the m5a97 is a quad core board, the m5a99fx is a sixcore board, the sabertooth, (and it has been well proven other wise) is a six core board, with the ch-v, the extreme 9 being 8 core boards.

I made 2 wrong assumptions on that board; I thought the VRM had more phases and been more stout.
Don't get me wrong that M5A99Fx Pro is a good motherboard and it will run the Fx 8xxx on it. I have a M5A99X Evo board that I had the Fx 8350 on and it was good to about 4.4 stable. Above that the Vrm section just doesn't have the guts to run it for any kind real work. Again I really like my M5A99x Evo and it clocks the pee out of my 955be without a problem but just not good enough for clocking the P out of the 8350.

this is how I see it, the sabertooth, (and it has been well proven other wise) is a six core board, .

Either I'm not picking up what you're laying down or you haven't been paying attention :shrug:

I don't like the sabertooth as an 8 core overclocking board, I REALLY JUST DETEST to say it now but, my ch-v-f is a much better overclocking/working board with my 8 core cpu's.
for 24/7 the sabetooth IS the better choice, for high clocks and hard work the ch-v-f is just better for me and what i do at what clock.

Ahh yes you have a Rev#1 don't you?? I have no issues with this board when it's dry ,Ha ha. It can handle the heat and power need. Mind you I don't have a Crossedhair to compare to.

Back