• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eyefinity working once with passive adapters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

I have 4 1080p monitors, a Gigabyte Radeon 7950, with 2 mini displayports, one HDMI out, and one dual link DVI out. I intend to use it in 4096x1920 mode (4x1 vertical mode) I recently purchased a couple mini displayport adapters (passive, for $4 each) on Ebay before realizing I might need active adapters after doing some reading. However, after playing around with my monitors and not getting more than two at a time to display, something happened. Three worked seamlessly at their max resolutions. Three displayed in Catalyst. The total resolution was 3240x1920.Two of my monitors are Acer H236HLs, one is an Asus ML239H and the other is an ASUS VS239. Foolishly, I tried to add a 4th monitor and ended up rearranging one of the HDMI cables and I'm back to two monitors in extended. I don't recall if it was using an HDMI to DVI cable instead of an HDMItoHDMI in one of the ports on the 7950 or it was from combining monitors in Eyefinity as 1, and then repeating it in Windows Display Center, but I think it's part of the solution. I also have a DVI to HDMI stub adapter, and most of my monitors have multiple routes to combine to get 3 or 4 monitors in extended/eyefinity. Both my Acers and the VS239 have a DVI, HDMI and a VGA out. I'm using one of the DVIs or the HDMIs, but that may change after I get a minidisplayport to VGA adapter in the mail next week. I've read that some were able to get three monitors with a MiniDP to VGA (although I've been able to do it with a passive HDMi or DVI). The better picture quality, while I like it alot, is a secondary priority especially if I can get a fourth monitor working. My last option, is not without complication- searching for a certified active adapter. The problem is some of the reviews on Amazon say it works on some cards and not others (like 7870s and 7770s). That being my generation of card, I'm only willing to buy an active adapter if I'm not able to use a passive or revive the "hack" that caused my screen to temporarily use all three (and not as short as a flicker- I wasplaying movies and maximized the window to all three without lag- I purposedly bought these monitors as they all have 5ms response time (IPS variety, thus better quality while still having decent refresh speed). Any ideas on what might have caused Eyefinity/Windows to allow three?

So, after trying out a bunch of combinations, and reading more reviews, I found out some other people were able to get very temporary displays on passive adapters but it wasn't worth my time. I will still try out a VGA to displayport though. I also ended up buying a couple active displayport adapters (for 1920x1200 and below) that are made for eyefinity, by HIS. They're not certified (I know, but they're made by a graphics card and I read some iffy reviews on the other certified ones.) I will be getting them at the end of the week, but I have to say, two monitors in vertical mode and eyefinity already look very good. The DPI is just about right- using four in portrait is actually better for movies in Digital Cinema Initiatives format (4096 × 1714) (cropped) as opposed to 3840x2160), like that Elysium trailer in 4k. I might use 4 monitors for gaming, although one of the bezels centers in between the 2nd and 3rd monitor, so I'm juxtaposing two monitors with the thinnest frames, although I might disable one for gaming, if it doesn't introduce too many complications or wear down the displayports by switching modes and disrupting settings (they eyefinity capability have been reviewed to last from just weeks to a few months). Thus I might game with 4 monitors, on lower settings.
I also read that it is recommended that all four monitors are the same brand/model, and I would be hardpressed to encounter an incompatibility with two different brands, but I'm banking on a lot of variables for this setup, which is not limited to displays but little things like HDMI 1.3 v 1.4a cables, DVI adapters, a minidisplayport to displayport adapter for one of my displayports.

Update 3: I've gotten Eyefinity 3x1 portrait working using one of the "cheap" adapters- a mini displayport to DVI. It will definitely come in handy in case one stops working. current res is 3240x1920. great for gaming, movies crop nearly the entire screen, but it's amazing there's still another 1080 pixels widescreen. Seems like the Eyefinity may not be configured for 4x1, but that's the next pursuit, so I will see if it works with another adapter or if one of my existing miniDP to HDMIs will work.

Last edited:
I got Eyefinity working with 4 monitors in portrait mode- one in extended and 4k video playing at 4320x1920 in VLC. For a sample 1 minute video, check out my youtube link:

Nice looksing display setup but how do you game with the bezels there ? do you not notice them after playing for a bit ?

Thanks! I don't plan to use 4 monitors for gaming mode. Only video- Eyefinity doesn't even allow 4x1 portrait at the moment- the first three from the left do work in games like Crysis 2, and the bezels are not actually much of a problem as long as there is a center screen (as in 3 or 5 monitors.) I have briefly tried out the 3x1 landscape for gaming, and some people like the view/vantage, but it's too wide for me to use- I prefer to allocate more pixels vertically. The gaming frames per second are also a little slow on just one Radeon 7950 with 3+ monitors- but I don't plan on upgrading it for a while- using one 1080p monitor in landscape mode for gaming is plenty enough for me. :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I don't plan to use 4 monitors for gaming mode. Only video- Eyefinity doesn't even allow 4x1 portrait at the moment- the first three from the left do work in games like Crysis 2, and the bezels are not actually much of a problem as long as there is a center screen (as in 3 or 5 monitors.) I have briefly tried out the 3x1 landscape for gaming, and some people like the view/vantage, but it's too wide for me to use- I prefer to allocate more pixels vertically. The gaming frames per second are also a little slow on just one Radeon 7950 with 3+ monitors- but I don't plan on upgrading it for a while- using one 1080p monitor in landscape mode for gaming is plenty enough for me. :)

Nice ,
I can under stand not wanting to game on that big rez , i dont even want a 1440p yet because it would bean i would have to upgrade my gfx cards on a much faster cycle than I do now @ 1080p .

Back