• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My rig is running - Mission accomplished

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancedriver

So after months of planning and lots of anxiety - exitement I finished building computer. Thank you all for providing important information. Although I did not ask any question here , but I spent lots of time reviewing many posts.
Here is what I have in my rig:

I-5 3570 k
Carbide corsair 550 R
Saphire vapor-X radeon HD 7950
Asus P 8 Z77
G skill sniper 4GBx 2
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ssd
WD 2 TB red HDD
Windows 7 64 bit
cooler master 212 puls
Corsair HX 750
samsung DVD burner with SATA
Its all done and to great enjoyment it started and ran OK so far. Only thing that is not connected is WD HDD because I only had 2 SATA cable that came with MOBO. New one is on the way.
I am stll confused about setting BIOS and setting SSD as boot drive and HDD for other storage etc but I will try to dig that information.

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations!

Basically, you should just be able to plug in your data drive whenever you get a cable. Bios will auto detect it, and you shouldn't have to change anything to be able to use it.

Maybe the boot order is all... Just select whatever drive you want to boot from as the first boot and you should be set.

I am trying to figure out how to proceed from here. So far I have installed windows 7 ,drivers for MOBO and graphic card only. I also did windows 7 and SSD optimization procedures. I did not install any utilities from ASUS CD as I read somewhere that they are buggy. Since I did not download utilities , do I have bios installed?
Also after connecting HDD how do I separate two drives? I mean when I download games etc how to make sure thy go to larger HDD and not ssd?
Do I need RAID or partitioning or mirroring?
I am not very computer literate. More I read , more confused I get because I lack basic information.
Thanks

Your PC wouldn't boot if it didnt have a BIOS.

You can partition it in Computer Management. You can point the DL to the location you want to store it at. There is a more permanment way to do that if you choose. Personally, I just manually do it each time (points there now anyway)

You do not need RAID. Partitioning is up to you. Mirroring is a subset/function of RAID.

Hello Earthdog
I got new SATA cable and connected to HDD computer immediately recognized it and formating etc went smooth. I did not partition the HDD and it says whole volume. I got 3 free games with VGC purchase so I decided to download it from website. I pointed it towards E drive which is HDD but at the end I found DL located in C drive which is SSD. I am not sure how this happened but is there any way to transfer contents from one drive to another? Am I doing anything wrong that it did not DL on HDD?

Cut and paste should be all you need to do to move the downloaded files from c:\ to e:\. I take a little more cautious approach by copying and pasting, then verify the files on the HDD before deleting (cutting) them from c:\. But I'm old school.

Nice build, and welcome to OCF ! :cool:

Good question.
I never thought about 4th gen Intel
I was told that 3570 would be more than enough for what I want to do with computer( FS games)
I was always comparing 3570 k to 3770 k and I found reviews that gave very good marks to 3570 k .
Its too late now but tell me what I am missing without 4670 k?

Good question.
I was told that 3570 would be more than enough for what I want to do with computer( FS games)
I was always comparing 3570 k to 3770 k and I found reviews that gave very good marks to 3570 k .
Not much dont worry about it 5-10% @ same clock (program depending )

Good question.

It's not that you're missing anything, but it's just why build off a 2 year old CPU when they just released a faster one. :shrug:

Let's try not to take away from the fact that it's still an awesome chip and will do everything you ever need it to do. :)

Back