• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to pinpoint what's broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcarter

My computer just crashed in the middle of a game. I tried turning it off thinking that the new graphics card just crashed. When I tried to shut it off the power button did not work, tried the reset button but that didn't work. The only way to shut it off was to go to the back and shut off the power supply switch. I heard a very subtle tiny cracking type noise before it happened but I thought that it was just that a piece of a leaf of trash got in the fan so I didn't think much of it. I tried switching out the graphics card with my old one and realized that when I turned it back on that the fan on the graphics card never turned on. The lights and fans work on everything else still though so I know I am getting some kind of power to the motherboard. Also the speaker on the motherboard does not beep anymore when I turn it on. (the power button works to turn it on, just won't turn it off)

Things on my computer
Processor: AMD FX-8150 8 core
Motherboard: M5A97 R2.0
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Power supply: 500 watts
Sound card: sound blaster zx
Memory: corsair dominator platinum 2x4GB
Hard drives: WD 1.0 TB, OCZ Vector 128GB SSD
DVD Drive: Samsung DVD RW
Case: Typhoon medium tower case

Last edited:
Listing your full system specs along with the exact problem is a good place to start. "Quit working" is not a good description.

"Quit working" is probably very common when you take it to a shop and drop it off at $60 an hour for repair.

Not going to help much here. OP. Please tell us everything.

My apologies I was at work and couldn't get the exact specs for it at the time, I updated it with everything that I could think of that happened at the time.

Hmm, no listed brand/type PSU. Please list exactly what PSU you have. It could be the problem. The pop could've been a cap. Any burnt smells anywhere? Get that nose in there.

The PSU is Korean so I can't tell you who it is made by but it was a cheap one so I doubt it was good at all. Do you think that 500 watts is enough to run everything I have in it? I tried smelling it and I smell something but I don't remember exactly what electronics smell like when they get fried. If the power supply went bad what are the chances that it ruined other things in my computer?

It's possible. Won't know till you get to test it. Borrow another PSU etc. Test all the parts outside of the case on a table on cardboard. 500 watts from an unknown PSU means it could be good for only 350 watts, has terrible voltage regulation etc.

Please read up in our PSU sub-forum about choices for a good PSU. 500 watts sounds good to me. A decent 600w would be a good idea, and can be had for under $100.

If you smell a burnt smell, well something toasted. PSU is usually the culprit, especially since yours is/was a cheapy.

Back