• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Video Card - Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GarbInC

Registered
Good morning everyone,

I'm kind of stumped out on which video card to go for. I already have a GTX 570 which I wanted to use as PhysX for other games and get a newer nvidia card, but my primary use will be for BF4 which wouldn't even make use of the 570 PhysX card.

I bought and returned a 2 GB GTX 770 to buy, as the new AMD R9 290/290x series are coming out. My Budget is about 650-700$ WITH 15% and was thinking to wait for the R9 290 and maybe get that. However, i've been using nvidia since I began building computers and i'm no longer sure what to do.

(I know the specs for R9 290/x aren't released, but I was wondering what you guys think)

Anyhelp or comments is appreciated.

P.N: I play on one screen (1080p), primary use is gaming

I have played the BF4 beta on a 24" 1920x1080 monitor w/ i7-2600k @ 4.9GHz, 8GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI HD7970 @ 1050/1500
ATI Driver: 13.10 beta
Average: 79fps
Minimum: 51fps
Most of the game settings are on High, some of them like textures on ultra

Take home message is that I don't think you need to spend $700 to get good gaming performance on a single monitor.

Most of the game settings are on High, some of them like textures on ultra

Take home message is that I don't think you need to spend $700 to get good gaming performance on a single monitor.

I agree, but i'd like to "future proof" the machine for a few years if its possible. So I honestly don't know what to do, however, your 7970 seems very decent especially since its 150$ less after tax than the 770...

I'm so undecided for what manufacturer to go for. (nvidia/amd)

I am in a similar boat, I am thinking of selling my 770 2gb and getting the 290x.

I haven't had the best luck with BF4 beta, but I here people are using over 2gb's of vram at 1080, and from my understanding the 290x should be arounf the same price I payed for the $770. Just speculation though...

Back