• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD disappears?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I finally got around to setting up my 4770K fully today.

Before i even got started formatting today, my Kingston SSD started to disappear?

It will be there sometimes when it boots, and other times it wont be there?

The ssd i 2/3 years old, is the signs of death? When its there, it works fine:-/

Something similar happened to me a couple of times and each time it was the SATA cable. Either I hadn't attached it snuggly or it had vibrated loose, and another time I simply replaced the cable and all was well. Something to try if you have spares.....it will at least eliminate that possibility.

Thats a b****. Its custom length cables, and i only have the 3 i use.

I tried to switch them around, and so far it works. Seems to disappear after restarts.

Thats how i lost my first OCZ ssd drive. It just started disappearing and one day would just no longer show up.

Back it up to an HDD, prepare for an RMA. I've lost three Mushkins like that now.
Seems to be a common issue across all Sandforce SSDs.

Don't take a chance backup your data and RMA your drive.

It too old for RMA.

Im not bothered about losing my data on the drive. I use the drive to store games on only. From Steam and Origin, so its not a huge loss if it goes.

When i boot i can now see a pattern for when it'll work and when it wont.

When it'll work, bios boots fast, when it wont work, the rig hangs around in bios boot screen for a while.

Back