• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock cooler replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Hey all, so finally got my latest build up a few days ago. Like many people say, the stock cooler for the AMD 965 BE is usually loud and doesn't really cool that good. So what i am thinking about doing is buying the Corsair H60 Water cooling system. Just wanted to know if its good or anything. Oh yeah, there is also refubished one for around 40 bucks on newegg and tigerdirect, which i can afford at the moment, while the new ones are about 20 bucks more. What do you guys think? Would it be better to go the watercooling way? Oh yeah, if i do get the H60, it would be my first time going with a watercooling system. Any advice or tips? Thanks in advance! :D

Not worth the money. Get a Hyper 212 EVO and call it a day.

The AIO Corsair cooler is install and forget it. No maintenance required and not real custom water cooling. It's a medium but does the job. The refurbished ones have a much less warranty and would be worth to spend the extra $20 to buy the new one with its warranty in it's full duration.

With that said, yes go with the 212 EVO. Just make sure it doesn't block the ram slots.

Thanks for letting me know guys! On my previous build i had an 212+ on it, about 20c cooler than the stock fan, which usually was around 90c on idle. But just wondering, how about the H80 or the H80i? Was reading around and so they say, the H80i is better than the 212+ but at almost 3x the price of the 212+

If your previous build was hitting 90c at stock I would guess there was something wrong with the mount or TIM.

Edit: if you're convinced on getting a AIO I wouldn't go any smaller than a h100 or h110i

H80i/H80 are the best single rad AIO since they are thick rads compared to the slimmer H50/H60 for example. But yeah if you're going to spend that kind of money the H100i is your best bet since it has more heat surface.

Went onto newegg and found an h100 refurb for like 65 bucks... Do you guys think that's worth it? What's the difference between the h100i and the h100??

No, refurb isn't worth it. The warranty is only 30 days, and those things are prone to pump problems.

I still say, for what you're doing, air is the way to go, not an AIO.

No, refurb isn't worth it. The warranty is only 30 days, and those things are prone to pump problems.

Exactly what I was just going to say. :thup: Not worth it as it comes with a botched warranty. People make the mistake of buying the product at a cheaper price but don't realize the original warranty is lost.

Hmmm.... IF i was to choose Watercooling over air, what would you guys recommend? Doesn't have to be Corsair only. For around 60-100?

I have been using a Corsair H60 with my AMD FX-8350 for 6 months now. It is a lot quieter than the stock cooler. For me it is more than enough since I am not overclocking my computer. If I were to overclock my system I would have to look for something better like a Corsair H100i.

I can run my CPU at 100% either with Prime95 or longer by folding for a week or more at a time my CPU temperature runs around 54C. This is higher than I like but still acceptable. If I had the stock cooler the temperature might not be much be much higher but I bet the CPU fan would be pretty loud.

This shows that even the Corsair H60 should be perfectly adequate for your AMD Phenom II x4 965 as long as you are running at stock speeds.

BTW, I used to have a Phenom II x4 955 with a stock cooler. I made the mistake of using my old computer case that had poor air circulation. It ran hotter than it should have for too long. I eventually got the computer case I am using now and later the Corsair H60 but by that time the damage had been done to the CPU.

Whatever you do make sure you start with a good case with good circulation. Otherwise even a CPU water cooler will not cool your CPU enough. Good case circulation will also help keep your motherboard chipset and video card cool too.

I am sure someone here can say what are acceptable idle and full load CPU temperatures are for the Phenom II x4 965.

It would be a good idea to document what yours are for future reference. You can run something like Prime95 to see how hot your CPU gets at full load. Knowing what your limits are can help you know when your CPU is running hotter than it should.

I have been using a Corsair H60 with my AMD FX-8350 for 6 months now. It is a lot quieter than the stock cooler. For me it is more than enough since I am not overclocking my computer. If I were to overclock my system I would have to look for something better like a Corsair H100i.

I can run my CPU at 100% either with Prime95 or longer by folding for a week or more at a time my CPU temperature runs around 54C. This is higher than I like but still acceptable. If I had the stock cooler the temperature might not be much be much higher but I bet the CPU fan would be pretty loud.

This shows that even the Corsair H60 should be perfectly adequate for your AMD Phenom II x4 965 as long as you are running at stock speeds.

BTW, I used to have a Phenom II x4 955 with a stock cooler. I made the mistake of using my old computer case that had poor air circulation. It ran hotter than it should have for too long. I eventually got the computer case I am using now and later the Corsair H60 but by that time the damage had been done to the CPU.

Whatever you do make sure you start with a good case with good circulation. Otherwise even a CPU water cooler will not cool your CPU enough. Good case circulation will also help keep your motherboard chipset and video card cool too.

I am sure someone here can say what are acceptable idle and full load CPU temperatures are for the Phenom II x4 965.

It would be a good idea to document what yours are for future reference. You can run something like Prime95 to see how hot your CPU gets at full load. Knowing what your limits are can help you know when your CPU is running hotter than it should.

Thanks much for the advice! ^_^

I have an H100I and would recommend it to anyone when heat and noise are an issue. I run mine on quiet mode, can't hear it over the other fans. Is it worth the money though, to me it is, the computer stays clean for a very long time unlike the 212+ I had before. Stays cool running Prime in the low 50's with the quiet setting and around 32 at idle with fan speeds around 1000 RPM's. I am also able to run all the case fans at lower speeds because the CPU heat goes directly out the top. There is a ton more room inside, the ram slots are clear and the pulsating LED is kinda cool. Best thing though is that the whole system is quiet.

I have an H100I and would recommend it to anyone when heat and noise are an issue. I run mine on quiet mode, can't hear it over the other fans. Is it worth the money though, to me it is, the computer stays clean for a very long time unlike the 212+ I had before. Stays cool running Prime in the low 50's with the quiet setting and around 32 at idle with fan speeds around 1000 RPM's. I am also able to run all the case fans at lower speeds because the CPU heat goes directly out the top. There is a ton more room inside, the ram slots are clear and the pulsating LED is kinda cool. Best thing though is that the whole system is quiet.
I would just save for that, but the thing is, My case is an mid-ATX, but even more, its a Thermaltake MSI commander snow, which has nowhere to put the radiator without modding the top fan ports. Too close to the ram slots and also they are a bit spaced out between eachother

How does the 212+ make the system "un-clean"?

It had two fans in push pull configuration that ran at almost full speed most of the time. That made it move a ton of air, well that and the fact the case fans were all set on high. Everything that went into the case cycled through the 212 and it acted like a clean air machine spreading dust on everything inside. I used to have to clean it out every three months when the temps would start rising because of dust accumulation, after installing the 100I I have cleaned it once since last November and it still have only about a third of dust it used to have.

I would just save for that, but the thing is, My case is an mid-ATX, but even more, its a Thermaltake MSI commander snow, which has nowhere to put the radiator without modding the top fan ports. Too close to the ram slots and also they are a bit spaced out between eachother

Sorry to hear that, I had thought that it would fit my case when I ordered it but I had to mod the top to get it to work in my case and it looks like your has even less room inside.

Back