• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my a6-3500 FM1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saculellav

Hi guys,

I need a little help with my A6-3500. I just need it from 2.1ghz to 2.7ghz for my gaming needs.

Specs:

CPU: A6-3500 2.1ghz
MB: Gigabyte A75M-DS2
RAM: 1 piece HyperX Blu 4g @ 1600MHZ
GPU: XFX 7790

Ram defaulted by my board to 1333/9 9 9 24/1.5v

What i tried:

changed ram settings to 1600/9 9 9 27/1.65v (set 1333 to 1600 by changing "System Memory Multiplier" from 13.33 to 16)

BCLK/PCIe Clock Control - left it at AUTO (100MHZ)

CPU NB CLOCK DIVISOR - left it at AUTO (6.00)

CPU NB CLOCK FREQUENCY - 666MHZ

CPU CLOCK RATIO - set it to 27 (default @ 21)

CPU FREQUENCY - 2.7ghz

SYSTEM MEMORY MULTIPLIER - set it to 16 (default @ 13.33)

MEMORY FREQUENCY (MHZ) - 1600Mhz

So, I basically just changed cpu clock ratio from 21 to 27. It booted but I see some screen flickering and get a BSOD from time to time.

Questions:

-was I too simple minded, should I have done something else to make it stable?

or

-is OC from 2.1 to 2.7 just too much?

-is the fact that im only using 1 stick of ram the reason why its so unstable @ 2.7ghz?

I know I just missed out on something as I am very new to OC-ing.

Please help! :D

Did you up the core voltage with the frequency increase?
What CPU cooler are you using?

Hi ATMINSIDE

I am clueless about core voltage tinkering. Left all voltage settings at AUTO except for DRAM voltage (1.65 from 1.5).

Using stock cooler.

You'll want a better cooler than stock, most likely.

Have a look at the overclocking stickies in this section, they'll help you understand what you're doing better :thup:

Thank you for the replies.

I will get another 4gig stick later next week. Should I set the same timings and voltage on it?

And can anyone tell me what I can specifically do with the cpu voltage to get stable @ 2.7?

I tried reading the stickies but most people use AM2/3. Im still using FM1 :(

I will get another 4gig stick later next week. Should I set the same timings and voltage on it? = And why would you not make manual adjustment instead of leaving the task to the bios to try and read the SPD programmed into the ram. Of course adjust manually and accurately.

And can anyone tell me what I can specifically do with the cpu voltage to get stable @ 2.7? = There is nothing about overclocking that is do A and B and C will be the exact result. Overclocking is, has and should be clock up some small amount and test. Then clock up another increment and retest on the way to the overclocked destination. That destination requirement varies dramatically between motherboards, cpus and temperature. Clock upward in small increments and test each level with something like Prime 95 Blend mode for at least 20 mins and then move up again and test again and add cpu voltage when P95 Blend fails unless temperatures have gotten out of hand. That is overclocking 101.

So, I basically just changed cpu clock ratio from 21 to 27. It booted but I see some screen flickering and get a BSOD from time to time.

Unless that cpu is a K series chip the multiplier does absolutely nothing. You may however be able to use the turbo multiplier of 24 as a maximum setting. After that it's Cpu bus overclocking only. Unless that's a K series chip which I doubt.

Your maximum Pstate voltage is up to 1.4125V. You should only need about 1.3v to run 2.7ghz perhaps slightly more.

All OC settings manually, and turn off any power saving features you may have as well.

Good Luck!

Unless you have a "K" series APU you will not be able to overclock it very much. The reason is that the only way to speed up a non-K APU is by increasing the system bus frequency. Unfortunately for overclocking purposes, in the case of these APUs the PCI-e bus is synced with the system bus and cannot be separated from it. And the PCI-e bus will not tolerate much overclocking at all.

On the other hand, the "K" series APUs have unlocked core speed multipliers so that you can speed up the CPU cores without affecting the PCI-e bus.

Back