• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minecraft video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
I'm in the need for a video card with HDMI out with audio. The current system that will be used because it needs to be small, is a ITX with a core 2 duo E6750 @ stock speeds. The Zotac board does have one PCI-e slot. So i'm in a need for a PCI-e powered only video card. I don't think my son will be into large textures just yet, I just need a decent enough video card to play @ 60 fps if possible. Not sure if it should be an AMD or Nvidia, I don't know which one plays better.. Any help would be great.

Not a hell of a lot.. $100 or less. So far i was leaning towards 6570 or the gt640. It's going in a itx case as well.. So it has to be a single slot and no external power.. Which of those two is better for minecraft?

I have a GTX 550 Ti (Msi's version of it) and I use a 128X texture pack and I get around 175 fps. Sometimes it drops to 75 fps which I can't seem to fix. But it needs external power which you can't have you said.

The gist of it: I used to play Minecraft with a GT420 OEM which was prebuilt into my rig. I managed about 100 fps with it after heavy overclocking with a 32x texture pack. (it ran at 100 celcius)

So you don't really need a high powered card to start playing MC.
I'd go with the Gt 640 because I feel Nvidia cards are manufactured & preform better.

Silver_Pharaoh

I have a GTX 550 Ti (Msi's version of it) and I use a 128X texture pack and I get around 175 fps. Sometimes it drops to 75 fps which I can't seem to fix. But it needs external power which you can't have you said.

The gist of it: I used to play Minecraft with a GT420 OEM which was prebuilt into my rig. I managed about 100 fps with it after heavy overclocking with a 32x texture pack. (it ran at 100 celcius)

So you don't really need a high powered card to start playing MC.
I'd go with the Gt 640 because I feel Nvidia cards are manufactured & preform better.

Silver_Pharaoh

The 7750 is a single slot with no external power that is easily superior to a 640.

What proof do you have nvidia makes cards better than amd? Lol...

The fact that ATI based card are not as good as they were before AMD stepped in.

It's also a personal preference..... I feel you get more bang for your buck with Nvidia, but it's up to the OP to get the card. Not me.

Just for curiosity, what makes you think the 7750 is better? The only ATI card I owned is the All in wonder 9200...

Silver_Pharaoh

The fact that ATI based card are not as good as they were before AMD stepped in.

It's also a personal preference..... I feel you get more bang for your buck with Nvidia, but it's up to the OP to get the card. Not me.

Just for curiosity, what makes you think the 7750 is better? The only ATI card I owned is the All in wonder 9200...

Silver_Pharaoh

The 7750 IS the more powerful card.. Lol. Look up benchmarks. Ati died many years ago. It's amd now. And bang for buck actually goes to amd. Has for a couple years now. Especially once the 7000 series was released... Time to revamp your knowledge on amds cards.. The 7970/280x is 100 bucks cheaper than the 680/770 in Australia. Yet they perform very similar with the 7970 having more vram by default.

You can see here the 7750 handily beats the 640 in every benchmark.

Thanks for answering my curiosity Mjolnir!

Like I said it's a personal choice -- If I had to choose, I'd still pick the GT640. Unless it's real expensive. I'm pretty cheap.

OP, it seems that the AMD 7750 is a good choice here, I'd go with that because it should hold up better in the future.

Silver_Pharaoh

Hwcompare gives very misleading numbers though. Be wary using that site...

If numbers on a sheet by straight comparison meant performance. Then amd would beat Intel in cpu performance wouldn't it? The 640 is the slower card for real world usages. And that's more important

Back