• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A99X Evo R2.0 Socket temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gin

I could say that if it is stable at @4,5 with 1.356 under load, I could reach 4,7-4,8 with a little effort, but my socket temp is way too high...
As Johan45 said, this mobo has higher socket temps than usual, thats what I think, or maybe not.
In my old 770-T the CPU temp was always 10ºC + over the Core temp. There was a ratio between these two temps.
Now, on my new Asus mobo, the core temps are very cold under load but not the socket, it will reach 68-69ºC under load after 35 min prime blend at @4,5.
I could get a new mobo and sell this one next month when I get paid, would a new mobo help me here? or should I just stay with this soft O.C...
Would be better to stay with this mobo and change the Aftermarket cooler?
Which one would allow me to go higher on air? or should I got water cooling?
Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, Gin.

MOBO > Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 Bios V. 1503
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX-8350 / Cooler Master Hyper N620
MEMORY > G.Skill 2x4 1600 9-9-9-24 RipHawsX
POWER SUPPLY > Cooler Master bronze 550W.
VIDEO CARD > 1X GTX 460 1024 MB MSI Cyclone O.C
HDDs/Optical drives > 1X HDD 1TB WD Blue64mb / 1X Optical drive LG
SOUND DEVICE > On Board only
USB > No USB plugged to mobo
O/S > Windows 7 64-bits
Case > Cooler Master Elite case / x1 additional FAN

So far cpu multiplier only O.C, prime blend stable @2hours:

Updated, LLC to high from normal. FSB@251

CPU: @4,5
Off set vcore: +0.0xxxxx
CPU Freq IDLE = 1.755mhz /0.940v
CPU Freq LOAD = 4.500mhz / 1.356v while on vdroop / 1.380v when no full load while not on vdroop
CPU Spectrum = Disabled
AMD Cool & Quiet = Enabled
C1E = Enabled
Core C6 State = Disabled
HCP Mode = Enabled
APM Master Mode = Disabled
CPU LLC = High
CPU/NB LLC = Auto (Should I set it to a fixed value? which one?)

Last edited:
Well first off Gin glad the ram sorted things out for you. The voltage fluctuation is normal and you shouldn't be concerned about it while at idle, the system will have spikes in usage and that's why the volts fluctuate. If you haven't already you should give this a read , Bulldozer OC guide very good info here. The bios will appear different than yours but the steps and info will be the same.
Ok now for the Signature. At the top of the page find the "quick Links" and select it.

Capturesig.JPG

Then select Edit signature on the next page just copy and paste the info from your post into the text box and select save signature.

To create a Sig juts go to the top of the page and click on "Quick Links" and then click on "Edit Signature". Since you now have a gold star under your name you have access to this feature. Until a certain amount of time has elapsed and until a certain number of posts are made, new members don't have access to the Sig feature. This is an "anti spam" measure.

In a nutshell...

Gin in your post >> M5A99X Evo R2.0 O.C @RGone >> I think you are being far too picky at the bottom of your first post.

The 7 multiplier is the lowest P-State in the cpu. That is 200x7=1400Mhz. So that will be your lowest or idle cpu speed. Unless you use some combination of FSB/HT Ref Freq to do your overclocking. Then still knowing that the idle speed is (X = FSB/HT Ref Freq) or X times 7 = idle speed.

Now a little about the percentages in Windows Power Manager. The percentages are NOT etched in stone or easily just cross-referenced.

http://superuser.com/questions/3237...processor-state-in-windows-7-power-management

What Is Minimum And Maximum Processor State In Windows 7 Power Management?

Copied from link above.
The number of P-states supported varies by processor, but is usually around 5-10. Since Windows allows a total of 100 different values for the processor state, this means that not every value will result in a different P-state being used. In other words, going from 100% to 99% or even 90% might have no effect whatsoever on the clock speed.

Also, depending on which P-states are supported, the actual clock speed might differ considerably from what you might expect from the percentage; specifying 50% in Windows power options doesn't necessarily mean that your processor will run at 50% clock speed. For instance, on my Core 2 Duo T9550 with a nominal clock speed of 2.66 GHz, setting the processor state to 50% doesn't give a clock speed of 1.33 GHz, as might be expected.

So you can see by example that a specific percentage does not cross over to an exact speed amount since windows has 100 possible believed states and the AMD cpu has only 7 P-States.

I think I said I used 15% Minimum Power because it works for me. My FSB is generally higher at 235ish, with a lower multiplier and gives me a higher idle speed. Because the idle speed is (X = FSB/HT Ref Freq) or X times 7 = idle speed.

Okay there are a couple of other things you asked about. The what they are generally and what I set them to because of what they are.

APM (Application Power Management) = You need to DISABLE is what I do.
When APM is enabled even with all of the other green stuff off and HW thermal control disabled, and windows on high performance it can STILL throttle the FX CPUs under any significant load which can happen at stock speeds as well.

High Performance Computing HPC: = ENABLED is what I do.
"There is an option called HPC Mode that prevents the CPU from lowering its clock rate under load."

I will close by saying that I don't have your board and use a more expensive Asus motherboard and every choice in bios maybe similar but n0t exact. Therefore I would set my _LLC settings to the middle choice. For my CHV board that is HIGH. Not Ultra High nor Extreme. YMMV and needs to be determined by your own testing.

Now I think I have taken the time to answer all your red remarks. Every last bit of this tweaking to the N-th degree is on a per-user basis. Because often nothing just crosses from one setup to another since systems seem to vary to a greater degree than we would believe. You are at the point where only you can actually determine how your system will peform in the long term. I keep extensive notes on what my settings are at any given speed and setup. That way I can determine what I need to do if I must make changes. I also keep "Profiles" saved in the bios to represent the normal speed settings I use. It helps.

NOTE: Often bioses change the big picture. So when I find a bios that works well for me...I don't run out to flash the lastest bios. Or if I do flash to a later, I know I might have to RE-establish some of my settings all over again.
RGone...ster.

I forgot to say that after installing the new mems, my mobo automatically set HT link speed to 2200 instead of 2600 by default. I'm actually o.c with 2200 NB and HT. Does a higher HT link speed have some kind of better feelings with my new mems?
Also more important, my old phenom b40 was O.C with FSB since it had its multiplier locked lol. But the mems were easy to set to a lower freq and timings so it will be the stock speed at a higher FSB.
Now its different I think, because this mem comes with a XMP profile which I have already selected. So for example I have to lower its freq after increasing FSB how can I set manually the right timings? should I just copy the actual timinings from bios and then re set them manually after increasing FSB?
PD: Sorry I saw it on the Bulldozer OC GUide "Thanks Johan45". So as I understand All I have to worry is about the timings like in the guide? or should I also set these settings BELOW "Minimum RAS Active time" in the picture:

Source:http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

06d7584c.png

Last edited:
If you are overclocking with the FSB you probably don't want to set the DRAM frequency at XMP. That would start the memory at it's maximum rated frequency and not give you the head room you need to pump up the FSB. Start the memory at a speed lower than the max rating and then clock it up with the FSB, not down.

If you are overclocking with the FSB you probably don't want to set the DRAM frequency at XMP. That would start the memory at it's maximum rated frequency and not give you the head room you need to pump up the FSB. Start the memory at a speed lower than the max rating and then clock it up with the FSB, not down.
Does the timings get faster when increasing FSB? or only the dram freq goes up as you raise the FSB?

No, the timings do not get faster when you increase the FSB but the frequency does. However, the memory timings may need to be relaxed as the memory frequency increases. The other things that get faster as the FSB increases are the HT Link frequency and the NB frequency. You have to make adjustments to those as well to keep them from becoming sources of instability. Do you understand the difference between memory timings and memory frequency?

No, the timings do not get faster when you increase the FSB but the frequency does. However, the memory timings may need to be relaxed as the memory frequency increases. The other things that get faster as the FSB increases are the HT Link frequency and the NB frequency. You have to make adjustments to those as well to keep them from becoming sources of instability. Do you understand the difference between memory timings and memory frequency?
I don't, somehow I do from my experience on my old Gigabyte 770T

My value ram kingston were 1333 with FSB x200
FSB @250 I had to set lower dram freq multipler so It got to 1332 which was almost exactly the default dram freq. I'm familiar to the HT NB freq going up with FSB, same thing as dram I set a lower value so the actual value will be the default one at @250 FSB.
This should be not hard to do in this scenario, the only thing I should do for example, should be to set the dram freq from 1600 to for example 1333 or something else and raise the FSB till it match the 1600 which is factory default speed. The faster the timings are, the lower I have to set freq. Same way faster freq, lower timings.
The problem is, if I set a profile of for example 1333 or whatsoever that will be 1600 at @2xx FSB. The timings will be set for the lower freq I have set? or they will remain as the default 1600 timings. Will the timinigs go lower when I set a lower dram freq for a higher FSB?. If thats the case should I also re-set the timings to 9-9-9-24 2T after setting a lower dram freq that will be 1600 in a @FSB?

PD: I updated post to @4,4 prime stable, what do you think? I'm doing good for this soft O.C? do you see capacity for going higher?

Last edited:
I don't, somehow I do from my experience on my old Gigabyte 770T

My value ram kingston were 1333 with FSB x200
FSB @250 I had to set lower dram freq multipler so It got to 1332 which was almost exactly the default dram freq. I'm familiar to the HT NB freq going up with FSB, same thing as dram I set a lower value so the actual value will be the default one at @250 FSB.
This should be not hard to do in this scenario, the only thing I should do for example, should be to set the dram freq from 1600 to for example 1333 or something else and raise the FSB till it match the 1600 which is factory default speed. Yes, I think you have the idea.

The faster the timings are, the lower I have to set freq. Same way faster freq, lower timings. "Lower" in not a good term to use for memory timings because smaller timing numbers actually mean quicker, more aggressive timings. "Tighten" and "relax" are generally what we use to talk about manipulating timings. To tighten the timings means there will be shorter pauses as the data goes through various check points on its way through the memory. This results in better performance but can also create instability. To relax the timings means the pauses will be longer at the check points and this has a negative impact on performance. However, it may be necessary to relax the timings in order to maintain stability at a given RAM frequency. As you increase frequency at some point you will also have to relax timings but usually a significantly higher frequency offsets the performance loss incurred by relaxing the timing. Higher RAM frequency means wider data bandwidth, i.e. making the data pipeline bigger in diameter.

The problem is, if I set a profile of for example 1333 or whatsoever that will be 1600 at @2xx FSB. The timings will be set for the lower freq I have set? or they will remain as the default 1600 timings. Will the timinigs go lower when I set a lower dram freq for a higher FSB?. If thats the case should I also re-set the timings to 9-9-9-24 2T after setting a lower dram freq that will be 1600 in a @FSB? IF you have the timing control header in bios set to manual the timings will remain static as the FSB changes. If you set it to Auto the timings will dynamically be adjusted to (more or less) be appropriate for the frequency the ram is running at. Though I have to say this dynamic mechanism is not perfect and you may need to manually adjust the individual timings to keep stable. Many times, giving the RAM a little extra voltage over stock will get it stable again when timings are a little too aggressive. So say, go from a RAM voltage of 1.5 to 1.75 or 1.6. That is not enough to damage the ram.

PD: I updated post to @4,4 prime stable, what do you think? I'm doing good for this soft O.C? do you see capacity for going higher? I would say t hat's more than I would have expected with that motherboard. Will it pass two hours of Prime95 blend?

I would say t hat's more than I would have expected with that motherboard. Will it pass two hours of Prime95 blend?

Yes, I only post updated settings and O.C that have pass @2hour prime blend.
I'll try to go beyond 4,4 without using FSB. I want to see how far can I go with the cpu multiplier only.

I would put it at 4.5-4.6 , keep an eye on the CPU/socket temps with that board!!

I would put it at 4.5-4.6 , keep an eye on the CPU/socket temps with that board!!

Very smart sr! You are right, I don't know why but as you said, at 4,4 running prime95 blend max socket temp is 65ºC while max core temp is 42ºC Big difference..... I know core temp shjould not go above 61ºC? What about Cpu socket temp?
Thank you in advance.
PD: In fact, my idle CPU temp is 27ºC while core = 5-9ºC like wtf.

Very smart sr! You are right, I don't know why but as you said, at 4,4 running prime95 blend max socket temp is 65ºC while max core temp is 42ºC Big difference..... I know core temp shjould not go above 61ºC? What about Cpu socket temp?
Thank you in advance.
PD: In fact, my idle CPU temp is 27ºC while core = 5-9ºC like wtf.

The max socket/cpu temp is 70°c so you're right at your threshold already. As to the ram Trents gave you some very good info , so what is your issue with the ram.

What should I do to get lower CPU Socket temps?

Last edited:
We usually put a fan on the backside of the motherboard, either directly attached to the Cpu Backplate or on the panel behind the motherboard. Problem is your case doesn't have a cutout in the motherboard tray exposing the back of the cpu socket area. So you would either have to mod the case, ie cut a hole in the motherboard try and/or the side panel or get a different case.

We usually put a fan on the backside of the motherboard, either directly attached to the Cpu Backplate or on the panel behind the motherboard. Problem is your case doesn't have a cutout in the motherboard tray exposing the back of the cpu socket area. So you would either have to mod the case, ie cut a hole in the motherboard try and/or the side panel or get a different case.

Thank you very much!. I think I'll go for a new case or at lesat mod it as you said. What I don't understand is the backplate xD how would a fan work there? does it have a plataform like the top side of the cpu "Where the actual cpu fan takes place". Or it doesn't matter? it will work anyway? I mean how I'm going to attach the fan to the backplate when I believe it is not designed to have a fan over it.
Thank youi in advance.

It's actually relatively easy, If you have a jigsaw just cut a hole in the motherboard tray. Then you can do either of the following. Mount a fan using double sided tape to the Cpu backplate or you can then cut a hole in the panel door and mount a fan there. I did the latter and have a 120 mm fan exhausting air out of the case. This is what Johan did to his system.

Back