• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dfi lanparty sli dr expert 939 not posting. Shutting off after a split second

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

belfastguy

Hi all and thanks in advance for any input, The mobo, gfx card and ram have all been running fine for 5 years but untill today I tried to turn on and it hasnt been booting, after a half a second it shuts down, Ive tried the clear cmos thing but no luck. After an 8 hour cmos clear it stays on but doesn't post, everything seems to be on mobo, fans, leds etc. the 4 diagnostic leds stay lit 3 leds mean spu detected 2 leds mean ram and 1 means vide card, my leds just stay on 4 lit, im pretty sure when i got it started for a while after an 8 hour clear it showed 3 leds but no video on monitor and the fans spinning fully but hanged, usally the fans stop after a second or 2 when it starts up successfully. I tried changing the mobo battery but still same problems. I am trying with 1 stick on ram in dimm2 as recommended and still no luck. And without a gfx card it wont turn on at all, my board has no onboard graphics as far as i know. im pretty sure nothings shorting it, so I am wondering what should i replace first. I read for these dfi boads u can get a ps2 keyboard and do an 8 hour clear then hold insert key as I boot then press delete to get into the bios. I have have a usb keyboard and a ps2 connector/adaptor but im guessing this wont work like a proper ps2 keyboard would?

Sounds like the motherboard crapped the bed. Get another motherboard. But really, I would upgrade your PC at this point.

Power supply maybe, or possibly video card or ram.

I've had similar issues with my SLI-DR Expert.

It's usually been either video card or ram issues for me.

If trying single ram stick, put it into slot three (third one from the CPU socket) or slot four.

Slots one and two will never boot with a single stick in them. I've tried that with multiple DFI boards and it didn't work with any of them.

If that doesn't work try different ram. Also try pulling out the video card and reseating it back in the slot (that sometimes fixes my issues). If you get dust in the slot or on the card's pins this sometimes fixes it.

I've had an Ultra D do this before and in your case it's most likely a MOSFET going out.

The board is detecting the problem and shutting itself down to protect itself. Also a bad CPU or stick of RAM as Tech Tweaker suggested will cause the same thing to occur.

My Ultra D was doing it and while I was trying to figure out the problem, the bad MOSFET made itself known with a spark and nice little "Fire" it had going - Immediately shut it down but it killed the CPU that was in it.
You can test it with another known good CPU (Be sure it's not one of your good ones or anything you really care about) if you want to see if that fixes the problem or maybe a different set/stick of RAM but if that doesn't work, it's probrably toast.

4 LEDS on means the boot process barely if it at all got started. Board or outside chance it might be the cpu.
RGone...

Last edited:
Proper way for long CMOS clear courtesy of DFI Street.
Follow the directions exactly.

The proper Clear CMOS recovery. Not to be confused with a Normal CMOS Clear.

You can not use a USB keyboard for this procedure. You must use a PS2 keyboard.

You will need your manual to find the jumpers that must be changed.

If you skip or miss any step you must start again since the results will not be valid.
------
Remove power from the rig by pulling the plug or switching the PSU off.

Move the PC Speaker jumper to the ON position.

Remove the Battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.

Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard to drain the capacitors.

You may leave the board in this condition for as long as it takes to clear the CMOS. If a short 30 second clear or a 15 minute clear doesn't work, try an 8 hour clear.

Plug in a PS2 Keyboard.

Put one stick of RAM in the slot marked DIMM2.

Move the CMOS jumper to Normal.

Replace the Battery.

Press and hold the Insert Key on the Keyboard.

Apply power to the rig by plugging the power in or using the switch on the PSU.

Press the Start Button to power the rig up.

When you hear the BEEP, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key on the Keyboard.

Once you enter the BIOS set the DATE and TIME then Load Optimized Defaults.

Save and Exit.

Enter the BIOS again and set it up the way you want for your particular rig.
Try this first. If it doesn't work try with a different CPU.

When the Ultra D is power up all 4 led's light. When the cpu passes post #1 led goes out, when memory passes POST #2 led goes out, when video passes POST #3 led goes out. When it starts the boot from the hdd the last led, #4 goes out.

If all your led's are on that should be power is OK but it can not get past the cpu.

You should have a led at the memory sticks that shows dram power OK. A standby power led across the board from the 4 system condition led's.

Back