• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamesMasta

Registered
Hey there (new here if post is in wrong place sorry)

i have Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard with AMD FX 4170 CPU and AMD 6670 GFX Card, not the best but next week im ordering the AMD 7990 + Amd Bulldozer 8350 :D Cant WAIT :D (should i get a better board aswell maby)?

ok im having a heat issue with what i believe is the North Bridge Heat sink (blue heat sink between the CPU and the PCI-E slot)

i am trying to find after market heat sinks for this point as im currently resting a normal case fan ontop of DVD cases pointing directly at this point as it over heats like hell while i was playing BF4 BETA,

CPU temps and GPU temps are fine

Can any1 post me a link to a preferably a fan assisted heatsink PLEASE :D

First off if you're going to get a new Piledriver FX-8350, you really should get another board to go with it. Your current board is way underpowered for that CPU. I just checked and can't believe they even say the 8350 is supported. The overheating issues you have now will get a lot worse if you try to run 8 cores VS 4.
Also you'll need a very good cooling solution for the 8350 if you plan on OC'ing it at all.

Here's a link to some aftermarket cooling for chipsets.

ok so its decided, im gonna go with a new board too. makes things alot easier im just gonna go with a whole new build in that case.
what motherboard do u reccomend as yes i am planning on building this PC to kick the **** out of the new Xbox!

and as im doing a whole new build im just gonna sell this setup and yes thanks for the link but all that was a brain overload for me (i feel like a right noob)
any chance you can point me towards which 1 will fit this board.

N thanks alot for the help!

As far as the chipset cooler you'll have to go off the measurement between screws/pins on the H/S you currently have. It wouldn't hurt to put some of those copper sinks on your fets as well.
For a MOBO you can't go wrong with the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2 not GEn3 though.

That looks like the right board, the AIO coolers are OK just make sure your case will accomodate it. Even the 110i which uses 140 fans instead of 120's.

yeah my case wil fit it ok above the CD Drive,

this is the same case as myne however i took all those LED's out, yeah they look cool but sharp **** you off when tryin to watch a movie as this is in the main room of the house!

Is that a Optical onboard Audio output i see on that board... nice! dont need to worry about that single PCi Slot :D

So you'll be modding the case for ventilation I take it? Venting upwards over the ODD?
Yes the board has optical output. But if you're using this with a TV or Reciever you can get HD sound from the HDMI cable, directly from the GFX card.

i have already modded the back of the case to support a 120 fan, i will be modding the side pannel for a 120 fan also and yes, cutting the top out to let the radiator breath!

and i have it currently rigged to a 47" tv but i have all audio goin through a 1200W 5.1 Amp so i wont be setting the audio through the HDMI

Just chcked my PSU and it only has 1 x 6pin PCI conector, im going to have to get a 6 to 8 pin convertor and also a molex to 8 pin for that mosterous AMD 7990

Ya the 100i needs a 2x120 mount where ever you put it.
What is your PSU ? You may want to consider an upgrade on that as well, with that dual GPU and a FX-8350 if you OC either I would recommend a minimum 750 watt PSU but I tend to go on the high side ( 1K ) since I tend to OC to stupid heights at times.
I previously had a 750W corsair and it was struggling with my setup.

"Johan", why did you not or why don't you recommend the FX-6350 6 core since it really does take less cooling and he is going with that Ai0 cooling? Probably be able to get 200Mhz more clock speed stable and not run into dramatic heat issues with that FX-6350 and do well in BF4 when released. I thought BF4 was still in beta. EDIT: yes it seems BF4 is beta still. END EDIT.

I thought you really had an easier more enjoyable overclocking experience with the FX-6350?
Bobert...

PS: no sense in measuring heat sinks on current baord if moving to a Sabetooth 990 FX R2.0 since the Sabertooth will not be responding the same most generally. May need the rear of mobo tray fan and fan over the VRMs but I have not seen the actual NB need extra cooling yet.

"Johan", why did you not or why don't you recommend the FX-6350 6 core since it really does take less cooling and he is going with that Ai0 cooling? Probably be able to get 200Mhz more clock speed stable and not run into dramatic heat issues with that FX-6350 and do well in BF4 when released. I thought BF4 was still in beta. EDIT: yes it seems BF4 is beta still. END EDIT.

I thought you really had an easier more enjoyable overclocking experience with the FX-6350?
Bobert...

PS: no sense in measuring heat sinks on current baord if moving to a Sabetooth 990 FX R2.0 since the Sabertooth will not be responding the same most generally. May need the rear of mobo tray fan and fan over the VRMs but I have not seen the actual NB need extra cooling yet.

Good point Rgone. I was just going with the OP's wishes and since he was getting a new board just kinda slipped my mind.
But yes that is a great processor. I really need to pick myself up another board and stick thant into the LianLi I got from Bassnut. That big box with the TT AIO would make a decent gaming rig I betcha. :clap:
Man I gotta stop hanging out here, just keep coming up with ways to spend more money !! :screwy:

Good point Rgone. I was just going with the OP's wishes and since he was getting a new board just kinda slipped my mind.
But yes that is a great processor. I really need to pick myself up another board and stick thant into the LianLi I got from Bassnut. That big box with the TT AIO would make a decent gaming rig I betcha. :clap:
Man I gotta stop hanging out here, just keep coming up with ways to spend more money !! :screwy:

The thing that kicks me in the head everytime I see someone begin the larger FX processor journey is that they really don't have a clue what they have looking down the barrel at them. If they would leave off the idea of overclocking like we do with all cores enabled...then it would all work as AMD intended it to work.

But turn all the cores on at one time and push the cpu speed to "try" and equal Intel's performance due to their better IPC; then it becomes a exercise in back-pocket pay outs and patience.

I had a year of helping in the Cpu Forum section here at OCF before I ever even got my first FX-8120. I knew they were HOT. They are HOT when the cores are all on and pushed up beyond ~4.3Ghz. With a mini-loop like most AiO, that 4.3Ghz might move to 4.5Ghz with an excellent mounting of the radiator and then air to the VRM area which is lost with the AiO or our heavier duty water cooling systems.

You can build a SandyBridge or IvyBridge system and just add multiplier and Vcore and run 4.5Ghz with a CM 212+ or EVO and do just fine. NO FUN but plenty powerful for gaming.

But come to OCF which is after all about overclocking, I just cannot see not laying the journey out and its' cliffs from the outset. The freeken mobo police if you will. Crap.

I just was considering how enthusiastic you seemed with the FX 6350 and it surely should be less HOT and still have enough cores.
Bobert...

You're right about the 6350 I do like that chip. Sure it's 20$ more that the 6300 but I think it may be worth the price gap. Personally I would still want it on an 8 phase board just to keep the stress off of the VRM's, but it will run in the M5A at 4.6 with so so air cooling which to me seems like a great " budget" type setup.
Now I have to see what's on sale, DOH!

@ "johan" >> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=990FX Extreme4
990FX Extreme4 > was showing $140.00 Usd at NewEgg.
- Digi Power Design << Now with that.
- Advanced V8 + 2 Power Phase Design
- Supports CPU up to 140W
I might be liking this board within reason.

The egg shows this one at $135.00 Usd.
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Ya something along those lines. It even has a PATA connector, never see that anymore. But I'm trying to curb my spending so I can finish off my loop. So quit teasing me!

Teasing is over...Hehehe. I am going to go look at an FX-6350, since I could use another processor and not the board. I have that in the FatLady right now.
Bobert...

Teasing is over...Hehehe. I am going to go look at an FX-6350, since I could use another processor and not the board. I have that in the FatLady right now.
Bobert...

You should it's a nice little processor. Make that Fatlady sing :clap:

the reason i wanted to still add cooling to the North bridge on my board is im going to sell this setup and wouldnt like the next owner to suffer issue's i have been getting :)

Think I said this in another post above...

I just have not actually seen the North Bridge run SO hot as you seem to describe. I have captured and editted this picture in 2012 for someone else with the cheaper board.

I have no problem believing the mosfets maybe actually hot which software often misleads us about because of the naming TMPIN(X) for CPU, Mobo and either North Bridge or VRM temps. Often what we believe is North Bridge temp is really the VRM temp.

M5A97 LE.jpg

You could capture a screen shot of Free Hardware Monitor from CPUID com with the cpu under load from use of Prime 95 Blend mode stressing the system and we might have a better idea of what REALLY is happening. Need to be able to see package temp which is the core temp as well in the capture.
RGone...ster.

Back