• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3930k or 4930k for DAW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lanzia

Registered
Hello all,

My studio PC really needs an upgrade but I am really confussed what CPU to pick so I hope you guys can advise me.

I know many people and music stores who sell DAW's have the 3930k in their best configuration, and the 4770 as a cheaper alternatice configuration.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 3930k or 4930k but I dont know which one to go for.
They are about the same price while the 3930k is around for a while.
Whats the real difference, which one is basicaly better ?

Thanks in advance

Lanzia

The 3930k is a sandybridge cpu, like the 2600k. The 4930k is an ivybridge cpu, like the 3770k. The 4770k is haswell.

For performance per mhz it is haswell > ivybridge > sandybridge.

However, both the 3930k and 4930k are six core parts, the 4770k is a quad core part. If whatever you are doing is multithreaded to the point it can use all 6 cores, the 4930k will be fastest, if it is not well threaded then the 4770k will be fastest.

4930k (Ivy Bridge-E) is a bit faster than the 3930k (Sandy Bridge-E) for the same clock speed (+/- 5%).

I'd go for the newest tech, which is Ivy Bridge-E.

Edit: and what SuperTrucker says.

Thanks guys. I will get the 4930k (Ivy Bridge-E).

Noob question: Will it fit on everyy lga 2011 motherboard (also the older models) or do a to check if it supports the Ivy Bridge-E?

HAve to check the manufacturer sheet. Maybe update the Bios, but should work, yes.

Back