• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're going to run an FX I'm assuming, the G.Skill is what a lot of us use. Works great. Unless you're running some special software you won't nee 16Gb ,8Gb is plenty even for Gaming. The timing thing is more for the ram and IMC than the board. I find the G.Skill works better with the type of timings shown in that link. I have a set of snipers and find it very flexible.

The asus website has a list of tested ram. Otherwise, and assuming you are using a discrete card, any ddr3 1600 cl9 1.5v will be fine. Ram is ram for the most part.

I am going with the 8350 and a 780 card soon. I have 2 570s that I will run for a bit. thanks for the feed back on the ram.

OP, it sounds like you might be a little intimidated by memory "compatibility"... I only say this because when I first began building PC's, I was told horror stories about ram incompatibilities and was scared as well. I eventually learned that RAM incompatibilities are way overstated and very few and far between, especially when building a PC and using a motherboard that's not a part of a single unit like a Dell or HP etc.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, just going out on a limb because that's exactly where I was at lol

OP, it sounds like you might be a little intimidated by memory "compatibility"... I only say this because when I first began building PC's, I was told horror stories about ram incompatibilities and was scared as well. I eventually learned that RAM incompatibilities are way overstated and very few and far between, especially when building a PC and using a motherboard that's not a part of a single unit like a Dell or HP etc.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, just going out on a limb because that's exactly where I was at lol
exactly.

I formed a habit a few years ago when companies DID say that X ram was for AMD since many companies did sort of partner with AMD to make ram more inline with AMD needs and tended to buy such ram for my rigs. If I don't see a mention of fitness for AMD use in the ram adds, then I go for something else. That held me in go stead for a few years now.

I am now prone to use G Skill ram and have heard of no issues with G Skill ram in the AMD Cpu and Mobo forum sections. They may have posted in the Ram forum sections but I do not go there much. There are those in that forum section quite capable of untangling ones memory mind.
RGone...

i prefer OCZ ram because it has a lifetime warranty that is transferable and they are easy to work with. having said that, it's been some time since i've had to test that theory, so i hope things haven't changed. i also really like kingston as they usually offer very good value and many times use the exact same modules of higher priced ram.

i'm probably going to go with G. Skill for my current build, however.

Kamel, lately we have seen issues with the AM3+ and Kingston. Not a lot but more mentions than would be expected. Especially the Hyper-X stuff.
RGone...

Ya I haven't had alot of experience. I have built only 3 rigs over the past 13 years or so, so yes I am kind of worried about that. This one of the reasons for choosing the sabertooth board, and ASUS. I have had good luck with every one of the builds I have used there boards. Thanks for the replies all!

Another question, not about the ram. I am installing a 256 ssd, 1tb hd and a optical drive. does it matter what sata ports I use. It looks like there are 4 that can be used for a raid set up and 2 that cant on the sabertooth board. so can I just plug them in any of them? and should they all be set to AHCI? Disk drive setting? Thanks for the help, Im reading though the manual and these are just a few questions.

You want the ssd in the Sata6g 1 port and AHCI enabled, the others put in any of the other sata 6g ports it doesn't matter which.

You want the ssd in the Sata6g 1 port and AHCI enabled, the others put in any of the other sata 6g ports it doesn't matter which.

Actually if you plug the OD into ports 5 or 6 you can set them to IDE and it tends to run better
That SATA's are my least favorite part of the board. There are 8 ports, 2 of which run off the asmedia controller. The other 6 when Set to AHCI will allow you to set 5 and 6 to IDE but if set to raid all 6 are raid ports. I've just been messing with this stuff on the weekend and it was really ticking me off. :rain:

Ok so ssd in 1 AHCI, hhd in 2 AHCI and OD in 5 IDE. OK this maybe stupid but when I set up boot sequence for the first time, do I set the OD as 1 then ssd then HHD, or ssd, hhd, then OD?

That is your choice. Do you need to boot from the Optical? If so, leave it in there, and first, yes. If you do not, leave it out of the boot sequence all together.

Back