• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid Rom not recognizing HDD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Just wondered if anyone may have some insight on this. I'm talking about my Sabertooth. This is our first falling out since I got this board and it's a strange issue.

I'm trying to set up a raid 0 with 2 250G HDDs. When I set the Sata controller to Raid, I can get into the raid menu but it will only recognize 1 of the drives. If I have my SSD hooked up it will see that too. But only 1 HDD.
The drives all show up in the bios and windows but not in the Raid utility.

Any Ideas ?? :shrug:

Are you sure both HDD's are plugged in to the same controller? That is all I can think of...but since you said the it sees the SSD, and I am assuming that is on the same controller... that isn't it.

(wow, that wasn't helpful, LOL!)

Ya they're all on the same controller, this board has an Asmedia add on controller but it's totally useless and doesn't do RAID. I have tried just the 2 drives I want to set up all on their own not even an OD plugged in and still the same. The OD by the way ia in the last of the 6 ports which is switchable to IDE just FYI.

No I'm running an older bios ver 803 tried the CMOS clr the other day when I first gave this a shot. I'm reluctant to update the bios since I prefer this one. I have tried several different versions( not raid tho) this seems to work the best for my setup.

Ya I guess. Maybe at least 1 that works.
I just have to decide now how important it is that I set this up for PCM05??
I had issues before with Bios/Windows/drivers and damn near drove me batty. Newer BIOS has crap for Win8 and I'm certain that's what was throwing things off.
And all my presets, I know I'm just whining and I figured it would come to this any way I was just hoping someone had a magical solution. :cry:

raid 0 with 2 250G HDDs. = Identical? Only one is not visible? !!

Got a used drive the other day and tried to get hooked up to my CHV. Forken me running. No go. Took it to my Intel rig and Gparted the sucker and returned to the CHV and morkenforken dooglie, the drive is now visible and usable. Go freeken figure. So that is the odd shett you wanted to hear about. By the way that drive was a WD Green thing in 3TB size. I have had the problem with a 1TB Seagate before. Swapped 6 or 7 "other" drives into and out of the CHV system without any issue. Me running.
RGBobertone...

So, just to be clear, I'm understanding you to say you are not using the onboard Asmedia SATA controller for the two RAID drives? So you have them connected to an add on RAID card?

Ya they're identical I used them on my last board as a raid setup. There were some things that Nvidia was better at. No card directly to the SB950 controller I've tried ports 1and 2 on their own 2and 3 with and without my system drive in #1.
I'm fairly certain the Asmedia won't do the raid setup any way there is no way of changing their configuration.
What baffles me is they are Identical and that rom picks up everything accept one of the drives.??

Well i got it too work. I changed avatars and voila. Thank you Bruce Campbell!!

That's just it I'm not sure exactly what got it to work but....
I went into my main drive and did a full format on both discs
This time the drives would show up in the list but I couldn't access the menu. But They both showed up.
So a bit more fiddling around, disconnected my OS drive which was connected to the Asmedia controller, removed the ODD went to bios and set "ALL" ports to RAID, moved the drives to ports 1+2 and don't forget Bruce.
It all worked managed to get an OS installed and all drives hooked up and working. I have to say though my POST time is about 30sec now. With the raid menu and Asmedia controller I swear the time doubled.

I have to say though my POST time is about 30sec now. With the raid menu and Asmedia controller I swear the time doubled.

Now that I don't doubt at all. EVEN if n0t running raid I set bios to raid mode so I can add an array at any time. So during boot the raid controller must be polled during boot even if no array is setup. I have gotten to the point where boot time is not a bother to me. Turn on fix my coffee and am ready. And I leave my puters in sleep a lot now that most of them will sleep and awaken. Hehehe.

I expect that having had the drives in raid previously and not breaking the array was holding one of the drives off from being detected. Then you had to change your avatar. I have new avatars on hold if I run into computer evils.
RGBobert....ster.

I expect that having had the drives in raid previously and not breaking the array was holding one of the drives off from being detected. Then you had to change your avatar. I have new avatars on hold if I run into computer evils.
RGBobert....ster.
Ya that's possible although they haven't been used like that for a long time. I've had OS's installed on both of them seperately either way It's working now. Thanks for holding those for me I just might need them :clap:

Well I've went through all the headache and I think it was for nought. I'm having some funny things going on. I'm pretty sure there is a low level vista crack program stuck on one of thos drives that doesn't come off. It's slipping a Vista OEM serial into my Win7 install and as Admin I don't have access to things that I should. :screwy: Even trying to remove the serial through the CMD panel won't work it's stuck.
Those crack programs wouldn't have written to the firmware or something like that would it.??? Or should I use some other software to do a " serious" formatting. ?? I had used the one drive just for storage for years and never had that happen with the other when an OS was installed.
Any clues??
I wanted to set this up for PCM05 and it's actually killing my score and giving me time errors. Since they were both formatted a few times that isn't going to fix it at least not through windows. :shrug:

KilDisk will zero the entire drive. It writes to the area of the HDD that is not formatted normally. The area where the raiding information is stored and why I suspected you having those drives in a previous raid array. It is also possible that your crack thing was in that unformatted area of the drive. No way for me to know since I have not dealt with that cracker.

Let me look for what is still freeware for a good and full zeroing of a HDD.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/free-data-destruction-software.htm
9 Free Data Destruction Software Programs

I have used KillDisk and DBAN and both erase/clean the area of the drive that a normal format seems to leave untouched.

NOTE: I am only referring you to something for a plattered HDD. END NOTE.
Bobert...

Last edited:
Thanks Bobert these are old school drives. I'm certain that was probably part of my problem all along, I'd forgotten all about it till The strang OEM serial popped up and I assume that since this formats the "not usually formatted area " I'll have to set everything up again but no biggie should go smoother this time. Hopefully I have time today. One of the birds is coming back to the nest temporarily so it's moving day today. Hooray

Back