• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Normal for longer responding blocks at beginning of HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

As the title asks, it is it common for the blocks that take >500ms and less to be more readily found at the beginning of a hard drive? Usually when I run a HDD check, it seems like half of the longer reacting blocks are at the beginning, and also when I format drives with some programs, they like to start the format around 7mb after the beginning sectors - Not sure if this is just a coincidence or?

As example, I just bought a drive from ebay and I ran the hdd checker, and one block was >500ms (literally the fourth block), and 2 of the 4 only <50ms blocks are just a few rows down.

Also another question, the same test finished with 37 blocks that were <500ms but I am not exactly sure where those are, but if it is possible to relocate these. Or do you think it would not make a difference (This will later become my OS and a storage medium drive).

Programs like Puran Defrag, Iobit Smart Defrag, will move the data, i.e. "optimize" it. But, the actual blocks themselevs on the hard drive cannot be moved.

Programs like Puran Defrag, Iobit Smart Defrag, will move the data, i.e. "optimize" it. But, the actual blocks themselevs on the hard drive cannot be moved.

I know what your saying and thanks for the response. But I would still like to know if their is any correlations with slow sectors at the beginning of a drive.

The beginning of the drive should be faster as the head doesn't have to move far from the resting position. If there are spots taking >250ms, that sounds like it has reallocated bad sectors and has to seek to the end of the drive to read them. Check your SMART data for the reallocated sector count.

Back