• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Failed, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EnthusiastBuild

Hi everyone!

I just finished building my first ever pc on friday.

Motherboard: Maximus Vi Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K BOX
Windows 8.1

I tried it so many times to overclock with Ai Suite 3 4 way optimization to 4.6mhz.

Suite begins to do stuff and then the pc restarts, once in the windows login screen i enter my password and proceed to desktop and then the pc crashes with a bluescreen: UNCORRECTABLE_WHEA_ERROR , no number just this text. Sometimes it crashes on boot aswell.. when i finally enter windows again the cpu runs at like 800mhz.

When i go into the BIOS and load the gamers OC config it crashes before even i get to the login screen

Can this be a ram issue??

When the suite finally runs through with the 4.6 preset and i look at the mhz it shows me this:

8dzflbxx.png

I really hope someone can help me out here, for the person who helps me figure this problem out i will gift him follwing as a warm thanks!

Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts on steam!

Regards

... and for a 4.6GHz clock from a 4770K, chances are good you'll need to supply > 1.312 Vcc. Probably more along the lines of 1.35-1.40V or greater, depending on the quality of your particular chip. A goal of 4.4GHz would be a more realistic endeavor. And a thread bump after just more than an hour and a half is pushing it. If no one has responded to your thread after 24 hrs., then it's OK to bump it.

It's highly unlikely that kind of voltage can be used on air cooling also, not sure what the OP is using though.

I would not use any sort of 'automatic' or 'pre-configured' overclock features. You don't know what those settings have done, so when it fails, you can't troubleshoot. I speak from my own experience, as well as friends'. Do a manual overclock, that way you know what you have done, and you can monitor temps and other limits along the way. It is time consuming, perhaps confusing at first, but in the end fairly straight foreward. Still keep using the program if you want...I use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to make my life easier rather than in BIOS - easier to keep track of what your changes are doing.

edit: i found this article more in-tune with my voltage requirements: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/3/

Back