• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx 780 and BF4 (f.ex)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

latProd

Registered
Hey guys, Been doing a lot of research before jumping on the 780 bandwagon, since the general consensus seemed to be that it was a "tackle anything" card, and doing it silently at that.
I own a Gainward gtx 780 phantom, and it is incredibly silent, and according to reviews, can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. I have a 2560 x 1440 monitor (96 hz, qnix 2710), a 3570k cpu, asus p8z68 v-pro motherboard and 8 gigs of ram. I tried to run BF4 on ultra today, and my framerate was down to 20-24 during early parts of the campaign.
Mind you, this is without OC'ing the card. After a moderate OC at 1030 and 1600, it went up to about 27-28 but thats' about it. Does this seem right to you, or is my CPU getting in the way of good performance? Or do i really need an even more powerful card to run games on ultra at 2560 x 1440 96hz ? Same thing with batman, arkham origins. It was struggling at below 30. It just seems a bit off to me. any suggestions and help would be most welcome.

What tools show % GPU and CPU load? You mean CPU-Z or GPU-Z Readings?

Hmmm, MSI OSD doesn't work with BF4 apparently. Tried it with a different game (the walking dead) and it worked there, so I guess I'm screwed. I did check the MSI stats afterwards, and it said max GPU usage: 99 %, max temp: 80, max power 84, and max fan speed 66 after about 10 minutes of gaming with no overclock whatsoever.
What do you make of it? Fraps reported about 30 FPS on average and the game felt a little slow and laggy (on ULTRA, that is). on HIGH it plays fine. Still think my temps look a bit high :/. Also, it reported max resolution at 2560 - 1440 59.96 hz, eventho i have it at 96 hz in windows, so i guess BF4 doesn't like my qnix 2710 overclock.

Yeah, unfortunately. I wish that would be the solution...

Running on 331.65

How about older drivers?

I am not sure what the FPS are like in the campaign, but in some areas, even with a 780, I can imagine it dropping low.

Temps are about right really as with auto fan, it will go up to the 84C mark and let itself sit there. See if turning your fan up manually (say to 60%) helps at all...

As far as the speeds go, it probably doesn't recognize the refresh rate being overclocked is all.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm gonna try again here with manual fan speed and a moderate OC to see what happens. I could always just run most settings on ultra and reduce those that cause the most problems in-game and see.
I haven't tried older drivers, wouldn't know which ones are best suited

Thanks for the help, it seems to be more stable, it just struggles in some areas which apparently even the Titan has problems with, so I guess that's just the way it is. If i go ultra on everything it's just too laggy and the fps is too low, so I guess its designed to require a couple of monster gpus.

Drop your ambient occlusion to ssao vs the top one. Your aa to about 4x. And shadows one notch down from ultra. And see how that affects your fps.

lowering a couple of settings did help, so I guess I can live with that ;)

BF4 still doesn't wanna believe that I'm running a higher refresh rate. Weird.

i just bought an evga gtx 780 SC. Evga Precision shows my card clocks to 1097. I'm running at 1920x1200 ultra, and i'm hitting 70+ on MP. i'll check SP when i get home from work. With the release of the 290, i hope newegg drops the price a little more before my iron egg guarantee runs out. But damn, this card is awesome.

Well, I've played a couple of hours through the campaign.
@1080p/ultra/4xMSAA, I have a steady 75fps (increased refresh rate from 60hz) 99% of the time. It went down to 65/70 a couple of times.
Card is running 1250/6480.

Back