• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help 2700k OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchocotoff

Registered
I've been OC'ing my system slowly but surely from 3,8ghz step by step to 4,2ghz which is stable. But upping it to 4.3ghz crashes when running intel burn test or pime95. Below you can see my settings in pictures, i believe i've tried almost anything and before upping my vcore even more i want to get some reactions and advice first. vcore is set to manual and to 1.32 but my LLC is on Ultra High, Power phase control is on extreme and current capability is on 140%. So stress testing this puts my vcore to 1.38 and in core temp my VID get's up to 1.411.

Running intel burn test freezes my pc and reboot is necessary. 4,2ghz runs fine on vcore set to 1.32 i don't understand why vcore needs to be upped so much for 43 leave along 46 (which is my goal)

Does somebody have some tips or advice???

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Check out the guide in my signature...(Sandybdrige/Ivybridge overclocking guide). WHen I can see the pictures I can help a bit more. In the mean time that is a great guide that should help you on your own make it happen (please don't hesitate to ask questions though if that doesn't help).

Images are blocked for me, try hosting them here at the site.

OCFinsertimages.png

try enabling Internal PLL Overvoltage. Generally not needed for that low of a multi, but it may help.

Can you please post the rest of your system specs as well.

I already tried that as well, same crashes. Are the rest of my settings good?

ASUS p8z77-v
Cooler Master Silver Pro M1000 (1000 Watt)
i7 2700k
Corsair H100
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600MHz (but running on 1333MHz)
660TI SLI
Windows 8

How do your temps look under load at the 42x multi?

I've never seen a SB not reach 43X, doesn't mean it can't happen, just never seen it myself. You could go crazy and put 1.4 through it (should be fine) and just make sure.

do you think I can maybe return it to the store? say i have issues with it or something like that? we here in the Netherlands have a great store and are quite easy going.

Is that during stress testing, those temps?

Return it? No. It works at stock clocks, so it is not broken.

Agree with Janus, try 1.4v for giggles and see if that works.

I've changed manual vcore to offset and been playing around with that and managed to get 43 running but vcore is off the charts.
idle it's 0.984v, 100% load is 1.384 which is waaayyy too much right? if i lower it down by 0.010 it crashes!

Is that during stress testing, those temps?

Return it? No. It works at stock clocks, so it is not broken.

Agree with Janus, try 1.4v for giggles and see if that works.

yes my apologies, those temps is at full 100% load

Sounds like it is a voltage issue....

I wouldn't move to fixed, it just adds in basic math, LOL! Fixed or offset if it needs 1.4v to be stable at X.XXGhz, it needs 1.4v.

(you can also edit your posts, so as to not double post, note. Not a big deal of course)

Sounds like it is a voltage issue....

I wouldn't move to fixed, it just adds in basic math, LOL! Fixed or offset if it needs 1.4v to be stable at X.XXGhz, it needs 1.4v.

(you can also edit your posts, so as to not double post, note. Not a big deal of course)

Ok i'll up my vcore to 1.4 and will up my multiplier step by step till it crashes. just give me few minutes, i'll get back to you

thanks for the help btw, appreciate it.

[EDIT] So I did 1.39v and upped multiplier to 44, it was stable. Tried 45 and it crashed. it kept crashing till I upped vcore to 1.42v. Here a screenie. It doesn't really look good it seems like my chip is a bit power hungry or just plain lazy. I must say I have this chip for about a year and a half but that's not a problem now is it?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I honestly don't see a problem with returning it.. Unless it is a small privately owned shop. If it is a large chain, they aren't going to feel the loss on a single CPU. Keep trying for a while and if you're absolutely sure that it's a bad overclocker, exchange it.

I, err, know a "guy" who's done it. No shame in it.

Depends on who you are. The facts are, Intel warranties the CPU to work at stock speeds and not 1 MHz above. So returning a CPU because it is a bad overclocker, is not valid. Try and tell them that and see if they actually return it in the first place. Kind of says something if you have to lie to return it, no? And with respect, this is coming from the guy who wanted to keep some nice cell phones found in Dad's cab without making an effort to return them first... Not exactly a model for great ethics, LOL!

@ OP - may just be a dud overclocker is all :(. Things look good as far as settings go to me.

Depends on who you are. The facts are, Intel warranties the CPU to work at stock speeds and not 1 MHz above. So returning a CPU because it is a bad overclocker, is not valid. Try and tell them that and see if they actually return it in the first place. Kind of says something if you have to lie to return it, no?

And with respect, this is coming from the guy who wanted to keep some nice cell phones found in Dad's cab without making an effort to return them first... Not exactly a model for great ethics, LOL!

Hey I didn't want to keep those phones, he did. :shrug:
I'm not responsible or accountable for other people's choices.

Hey I didn't want to keep those phones, he did. :shrug:
I'm not responsible or accountable for other people's choices.
Begrudgingly perhaps...sure seemed like it was a tough choice for you... ;)

Anyway.... point was made about the Intel warranty. If the OP wants to return it, that is on him. :)

I honestly don't see a problem with returning it.. Unless it is a small privately owned shop. If it is a large chain, they aren't going to feel the loss on a single CPU. Keep trying for a while and if you're absolutely sure that it's a bad overclocker, exchange it.

I, err, know a "guy" who's done it. No shame in it.

haha, well it's actually a large chain here. http://mycom.nl I did it before with my mobo and was able to buy a completely new one. If it is possible to exchange this processor I will go for an ivy bridge!

I most certainly will not tell them that I can't overclock with it. What kind of issues can you have which could the cause of a faulty processor?

[EDIT] Had the wrong URL

Back