• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think I zapped my motherboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoseD

I short circuited some pins on a legacy PCI card (motherboard is new and has PCIe 16/8/3 BTW) by accident. PSU shut system down but now all my PCI sound cards are having noise issues meaning something in the PCI side got screwed. Rest of the board is ok.

I'd like to find the damaged place and solder in a replacement component but can't see anything wrong at first inspection (visually).

Any hints ? I know more logical thing is to scrap the motherboard but don't want to call it quits at first obstacle:)

[EDIT]
Motherboard is an AsRock 790GXH, this is my audio workstation system and I'm screwed...:(

Cheers

I'd scrap it. There is no guarantee that the issue is a physical one in the slot itself. What if it cooked a trace in the pathing back to the CPU or wherever it goes.

Like the words of Easy-E 'throw it in the gutter, and go buy another'. :)

To try to run down exatly which component or components were damaged may be very difficult. To find the replacement parts may be even more difficult. To invest the time it will take to do that is questionable stewardship. Time is money. Get a new board.

Back