• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED cheap amd build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

hi,
just need some help picking a amd cpu for a cheap build its for my parents who dont need anything like high end specs or parts, but thought i might be able to build them on cheaper than they can buy one for.

not built an amd pc before so not familiar with the socket types.

im thinking the AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2 GHz will be good on ebay for £40

use will mainly be internet and Microsoft office, messing round with pics need to be able to cope with multiple windows and files open at once ect maybe some online games and low end games.

sempron and athlon 2 are cheaper. do you think these will do the job? i think am3 socket is the best to go with so any suggestions for a cpu would be apprichated. thansk

I would honestly go for a $400 dell for your parents... Keep it simple, and have a warranty on the parts.

A apu chip is great to use
A A4 or A6 will be plenty
I have build plenty of these and they are very good for everyday use

I have been running the msi boards the ones around $50 us
Not oc so no need for top board
I just ordered a complete build for $450 from newegg that included windows 7 and a ssd drive
The build is for a old couple in thier 70's

Yeah, the APUs are a great way to go these days for the situation you describe. The A4 5300 Trinity is one I have used for client builds in my computer business. It's perfectly adequate for average computing. Get a micro ATX mother board with the 75 or 85 series chipset and 8gb of DR3 1600 and you will be fine. Stay away from MSI or ECS brand motherboards. I would also avoid Kingston memory products as they seem to give compatibility problems with AMD systems.

this may be a stupid question but like i said new to amd. do the apu chips just plug in to mobo then ready to go like any other cpu?

i was thinking this mobo ASRock FM2A75M-DGS

Yeah, the APUs are basically just like any other processor in terms of interfacing with the mobo.

this may be a stupid question but like i said new to amd. do the apu chips just plug in to mobo then ready to go like any other cpu?

i was thinking this mobo ASRock FM2A75M-DGS

No different. The APUs are like Athlon IIs with a built in GPU. So you don't have to install a separate video card or use the motherboard gpu. And the APU gpu is quite good.

Last edited:
the mobo also as built in gfx so will it combine both or do you have to pick one

To run a socket FM2 APU you will need a socket FM2 motherboard. Socket FM2 motherboards do not have the GPU built in. They do have PCI-e expansion slots for adding a video card if you wish but they do not have a gpu per se.

Back