• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB issues on M5A99X Evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

For the past couple of weeks I have been using Windows 8.1 RC on the above Asus motherboard with a FX-6300 CPU. Out of the blue today I had the USB function lock up on me so that I could not use the mouse or keyboard. I rebooted. Same problem within a few minutes. So I disconnected all USB devices except mouse and keyboard and rebooted. Same problem appeared within a few minutes. I went to the Asus website to check for an updated driver for Windows 8.1 but there were none. There was however, a newer bios that purported to "fix problems with some USB devices". I have flashed the bios with the newer version and we will see if it fixes the issue. Now, I have noted that the last several bios updates with this board as well as with the M5A97 board I was previously using all had to do with "fixing USB problems". Is this an issue with Asus products in recent times? Or, do you think the problem is more likely a half-baked driver that came with Windows 8.1 RC?

I would say it's a windows issue. I've got the same board and have never experienced issues with USB devices (despite there being many updates to fix USB issues).

I think it's probably the 8.1 drivers Trents. I've had win8 and 7 on that board and never experienced any of the things you're seeing. Have you tried the Asmedia to see if it's any better??

I think it's probably the 8.1 drivers Trents. I've had win8 and 7 on that board and never experienced any of the things you're seeing. Have you tried the Asmedia to see if it's any better??

You mean the ones that come on the install disc?

I just meant the Asmedia usb 3 controller and the updated driver. It may work until Asus gets something on the table.??

I just meant the Asmedia usb 3 controller and the updated driver. It may work until Asus gets something on the table.??

Can't seem to find anyway to get the appropriate Asmedia drivers. Asmedia website requires a login and I see no way to start a new account.

Should be available from the Asus site?? That's where I get mine. Don't know if they'll have an updated one??

Not that I can see. That's where I looked first.

I'm out of ideas for the controller then. Do you have another OS to try see if the USB itself has gone wonky. I know that when I tried to find an earlier bios. They would only work so far back for Win8 then it wouldn't even boot. Maybe an older bios. May work??

I was thinking about it stopping out of the blue and thought....Did you get any updates at all after the installation. May MS broke something??

I upgraded from Win8 to 8.1 Final and had no problems. Have you tried it at stock setting instead of overclock?

I quit trying to overclock but when I did and I thought I had a stable overclock, the USB ports would start to drop out. It would start with the USB Wifi and then cascade to my Logitect USB wireless keyboard and mouse. When I had my 8350 installed, it would do it more often especially with overclocking CPU/NB.

Maybe too much amperage draw? M5A99X EVO was made before Bulldozer and piledriver!

Also, I had problems with firmware version 1708. It would forget the boot order and sometimes the settings, so I went back to 1604.

Last edited:
So I updated the bios to 1708 and currently am running at stock settings. The problem seems to have disappeared. I will try to overclock again, maybe tomorrow and see if the problem reappears.

Well, I restored the overclock late last night and so far all is well. The problem has not returned - yet. Maybe the bios update fixed a problem with the newer OS and there's always the question mark about what you get when you are running a release candidate OS. I have Windows 8.0 pro ready to install and the upgrade to 8.1 would be free. Recently, however, I removed my 500 gb conventional hard disc and put in two 120 gb SSDs in RAID 0. So I was using the Windows 8.1 RC to test the reliability of that RAID configuration before installing the Windows 8 pro retail. Should the RAID prove unreliable I didn't want to go through the hassle of re-installing my retail 8.0 and having to call Microsoft to re-register it.

When you installed 1708, did you notice the system no longer beeps on post? The ASUS forum always hangs on load so I can't check if it is still a recurring problem!

When you installed 1708, did you notice the system no longer beeps on post? The ASUS forum always hangs on load so I can't check if it is still a recurring problem!

I don't think it has ever beeped on post, even before the bios update. I'm not even sure I have a speaker on the board.

Yeah, the Asus motherboard forum hangs up on me too.

This weekend I will find as many usb devices as I can and try to reproduce the same results and narrow it down.

I have been thinking about this and I think the USB/USB Drivers don't like the CPU/NB and/or memory overclocks.

Trents, just an FYI, I have the same board and haven't had any issues with it on Win 7.

I had some USB problems in my M5A97 but this was the first time on the M5A99x for any USB problems. Seems to be fine since I updated the firmware, even after I restored the 4.5 ghz overclock. I think it was just that the Microsoft Windows 8.1 driver didn't jive with the chipset somehow.

Back