• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Building a Second Gaming PC......Need Suggestions and Feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A couple of things...

Not sure that board is good for an octo core + overclocking. I see 4+1 phase there... perhaps at stock it's fine, but I wouldn't overclock on it. Also, if you plan on overclocking far, that cooler will not cut it.

Otherwise, I like it, but I think that an Intel CPU will help stretch the legs of that 780 a bit better at 1080p.

A couple of things...

Not sure that board is good for an octo core + overclocking. I see 4+1 phase there... perhaps at stock it's fine, but I wouldn't overclock on it. Also, if you plan on overclocking far, that cooler will not cut it.

Otherwise, I like it, but I think that an Intel CPU will help stretch the legs of that 780 a bit better at 1080p.

nope...absolutely no major overclock...just 4Ghz and I'll be swapping my HD 7950 from my Intel Build with the GTX 780. Actually, I have an Intel build...so I am planning on AMD this time. I think that GTX 780 and 3570K will make a good combo and the 8350 and 7950 will make another good combo. :)

Agreed.. just be careful with that board and any overclock. Though there is support for it, again 4+1 phase on the octo... make sure that the VRM's are cooled adequately if you do not choose a more robust motherboard.

It doesn't look bad to me for a cheap gaming setup for your needs. You said you weren't overclocking it and the heatsink/fan should keep it cool on stock.

Like earthdog my only dislike is the motherboard but if you're not overclocking or doing very little I don't see you having any problems. What are you using for a keyboard/mouse/display if you don't mind me asking?

I would swap the mobo for the extreme 4. much more robust VRMs with the 990FX chipset.

My keyboard and mouse is a razor gaming set and my monitor will be a single 23' ASUS 1080p. Okay, I'm ready to change the motherboard and cooler. Suggest me a cooler within $100 and a moherboard within $200. ASUS Motherboards are preferable and please don't suggest liquid cooling.

With no major overclock plans on an ASUS board I'd go Asus M5A99FX Pro with a Noctua NH-D14 to keep your 8350 nice and cool.

Thanks Earthdog. Actually I have a desire to push the 8320 to 4.2Ghz. That way, I can benchmark the 3570K and 8320 at the same speeds.

You should be fine. Your display keyboard/mouse is fine I've used an Asus 23" monitor for over a year now and it's quite good.

With no major overclock plans on an ASUS board I'd go Asus M5A99FX Pro with a Noctua NH-D14 to keep your 8350 nice and cool.
+1

We have seen a lot of decent midrange boards become troublesome when one of these Fx 8xxx chips get plopped onto it. The Asus M5A99X Evo and Fx pro are both good to about 4.4 stable with a 8xxx Fx chip on it. Beyond that the Vrm section just isn't robust enough to cope with the power demand. If planning on going above that, Sabertooth and cooling that can cope!

any reason you dropped the 8320 other than cost. I haven't heard anything bad about the Fx-6300 just curious

For a gaming rig the FX 6300 or 6350 is a great choice. You really don't need an 8 core processor for that.

The EVGA GPU, is that the one with the ACX cooler. Newegg has it listed for the same price as their standard cooler. Try and get the ACX cooler if you can, I've read alot of good things about it.

Looks like a great build DJ.

DJ I just noticed your OC goals have gone from 4.0 to 4.2 to 4.5. Lol this is a very common occurrence here. If the price difference isn't to great I would get the FX6350 only because they are generally a higher binned processor and can 'sometimes' achieve higher clocks then the lower binned chips. This of course is the silicon lottery, but when I gamble I try to hit the best probabilities.

Also you may consider an SSD for this rig too.

Best of luck.

Back