• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z87-G45 not seeing drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaoskrewpb

Registered
As the title says my new system (fresh build) is not seeing my main drive.
A little background:
I pulled my old motherboard, installed the new one, plugged in all drives, power, etc... powered it up.
Passes post screen then says "bootmgr is missing
Press ctrl+alt+del to restart"
I check bios to set my 128 SSD to the 1st boot device, but it doesn't show up!!??
So i open up my case pull my GPU check all SATA connections etc all is fine. I boot up the comp and it starts working and shows all the drives. So i reinstall windows. All is going well until i finish with the updates, it passes the post screen and says the exact same "bootmgr is missing
Press ctrl+alt+del to restart"
So i go into bios to check it and its not there again! Wtf!
My other 2 drives are showing up but not my SSD.
And another confusing thing to me is when i go into bios my drives dont show up where I'm used to them showing up

Edit- as I'm typing this i went back into bios and it's showing up now.... Wtf is happening?
Sorry to sound like a spaz but this is actually pissing me off. I've built around 12 PC's in my lifetime and I've never seen this.
I've replaced all SATA cables with new ones btw

MSI Z87-G45
Intel 4770K
Gtx 690
16gb corsair ram

Now getting random blue screens on bootup and the drive is randomly not showing up in bios... Need some guidance from the jedi masters
Also it's booting up sometimes, but each time I have to press F11 and manually set the boot drive to my SSD.

Everything is very random, nothing is consistent with anything I try to trouble shoot.

Last edited:
No boot on IDE. I think I have found a problem. Earlier today I enabled "rapid start technology" in bios, and it disabled itself... I'm wondering if changed to the bios are clearing after a while or something? The cmos shorting jumper is not in and the button is not being pressed...

Heres what my bios boot options are...
I currently have 3 drives in and this is what it shows...
I really don't understand this menu a single bit
null_zpsff258385.jpg

Then under "hard disk drive BBS properties it shows this.

null_zps89ac7e52.jpg

null_zpsa0559622.jpg

Last edited:
Pull the CMOS battery and reseat it to make sure there's a good connection.

I'm assuming its brand new since its Z87, the battery shouldn't be dead.

I'm done screwing with this for the night. I don't like working in a pissed mood.
I'll be back tomorrow after work with a more open mind.
Appreciate the help any more suggestions are appreciated

Edit-
Pull the CMOS battery and reseat it to make sure there's a good connection.

I'm assuming its brand new since its Z87, the battery shouldn't be dead.

Will pick up a new battery after work and replace it. Even if it is bad though, still doesn't explain the blue screens on a brand new install.
And yes the board is brand new

When you're doing the Windows install, only have the SSD plugged in, otherwise the installer can get confused and put the BootMGR files onto another drive.

Also, make sure to switch back to AHCI if you haven't already.

True but also keep in mind that the SSD keeps randomly dissapearing from the bios which is why it comes up with the boot mngr error, because its trying to boot from a drive that doesnt have windows on it

True but also keep in mind that the SSD keeps randomly dissapearing from the bios which is why it comes up with the boot mngr error, because its trying to boot from a drive that doesnt have windows on it

How old is the SSD?

SSD is about 2 years old. I have another one on order that will be here friday. The reason i don't think thats the problem is I had this SSD in my prior build working just 2 days ago with no issues

This particular SSD has been through probably 8-10 windows reinstalls because I enjoy having a completely cleaned system when it starts to get cluttered.

Last edited:
Last time I had an SSD disappearing like that, it stopped showing up at all fairly quickly.
It was a pretty random occurrence for me, working one day stopped the next.

Let me know if the new SSD does the same, and we can work from there.

I had an ssd a few years back that did that. It was about a year old and I'm assuming its controller died. It lasted a month I think, with crashes and bluescreens getting more frequent until it just wouldn't show up 9 out of 10 boots.

Ok hopefully that is the issue. Glad to see it's not just me having these issues
Hopefully the new SSD takes care of it.
Last minute plans heading out to Glamis dunes so I won't be back home til sunday night. Have a nice weekend guys

Last edited:
Update: put the new SSD in, showed up correctly and reinstalled windows 7. Everything is running great now.
Thanks guys

Well I tried installing windows 7 64 bit last night, Install went fine. Tried installing updates, all went fine. Install BF4, BSOD. WhoCrashed came back with HAL.dll. Did another fresh reinstall of Win7, tried installing drivers, BSOD, who crashed said HAL.dll.
Reinstalled again due to corrupt Registry files from BSOD while installing updates.

Installing updates again now it's a memory_management error. After each reinstall I've been installing drivers from the MSI disk that came with my MOBO, should I be doing this a different way?

On Wed 11/13/2013 1:55:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111213-5647-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x8F9F1, 0xB1221009)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 11/13/2013 1:55:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x8F9F1, 0xB1221009)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

See if the system will install and run fine without the GTX 690.

Back