• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Boot Repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

Hi guys,

I had a Win 7 (64) ultimate install on one hard drive. Then I installed Win 8 Pro on another drive and this was subsequently upgraded to Windows 8.1 .

Windows set up a boot menu which has somehow managed to get corrupted. So now when I boot I can no longer get the Win 8.1 install but instead the only option that works is to hit F9 and go into Win 7 .

Booting with the install media does not help, it's automated repairs claim that they cannot help. As I see it this only needs a boot loader repair. But how do I do this. Where on my Win 7 drive can I find it?? I have a clone of the Win 7 install that is a few days older that when the problem occurred and can if possible copy across the relevant files, but I need to know which ones.

Or am I going about this all wrong?

Use EasyBCD to edit the Boot Configuration Data store from within Win7. Scroll down and click the Register button under Non-commercial - Free to download...

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

It worked thanks.

The initial repair failed but then I realized that the Win 8.1 did not have a drive target. So I edited it to point to the 8.1 install, saved and presto it is back.

Back