• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me choose between these 3 boards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostcool

Hi,

First I'm new to these forums but ive been reading from you guys for quite some time :)

I have a fx 8320 and a crappy board that underclocked my cpu that i needed an upgrade

my choices are: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional, sabertooth r2.0, and the m5aa99fx pro r2.0

My goal is 4.5ghz-4.8ghz stable oced for gaming, some video editing and some other stuff. (ill be using swiftech h320 for cooler).

ive been reading rgone's http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726641

and ssjwizard's http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727263

and this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738085&page=3

I can get the fatal1ty 53$ cheaper than sabertooth r.20
and the m5a99fx pro 15$ cheaper than fatal1ty.

Please Help me decide which board will suite my goal aswell save some money for an upgrade to other parts.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry for my english

Your English is fine, I'm going by what I've heard from Skype friends but the sabertooth supposedly has a considerable amount of problems with overclocking someone on here will correct me if they're wrong.

I would go with the m5a99fx pro. It's a really good board, but It's also the only one that I've had personal experience with too. Plus, It's the cheapest out of the three and overclocks well.

I'm going by what I've heard from Skype friends but the sabertooth supposedly has a considerable amount of problems with overclocking someone on here will correct me if they're wrong.

I would go with the m5a99fx pro. It's a really good board, but It's also the only one that I've had personal experience with too. Plus, It's the cheapest out of the three and overclocks well.

Really? I can run over 5 gig all day long.
8320/Sabertooth.

^ Thanks for both of your reply.

Is the fata1lity worth the extra 15$ from m5a99fx?

5ghz stable on sabertooth keep me holding to the board even for its price ^^

Is the fata1lity worth the extra 15$ from m5a99fx? Most certainly yes in my mind and experience.

5ghz stable on sabertooth keep me holding to the board even for its price ^^

You will never see 5.0Ghz stable on any good motherboard without excellent water cooling. Mini-loops, most of the AiO cooling need not apply is the experience most of us that do reach 5.0Ghz stable have seen actually.

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is my first choice.

If you can still find an Asrock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro motherboard then it is also as good for overclocking as the Sabertooth. Just there is more information floating around about the Sabertooth. I have a Fatal1ty Pro 990 board and I like it and it ranks right up there with my CHV forumla board.

The other board you mention has been used by a number of others here in the forum and they had to upgrade UP from it to get the bigger cpu Mhz beyond 4.5Ghz. Some went Sabertooth and others upped to the CHV board. Strokes for folks there.
RGone...

You will never see 5.0Ghz stable on any good motherboard without excellent water cooling. Mini-loops, most of the AiO cooling need not apply is the experience most of us that do reach 5.0Ghz stable have seen actually.

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is my first choice.

If you can still find an Asrock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro motherboard then it is also as good for overclocking as the Sabertooth. Just there is more information floating around about the Sabertooth. I have a Fatal1ty Pro 990 board and I like it and it ranks right up there with my CHV forumla board.

The other board you mention has been used by a number of others here in the forum and they had to upgrade UP from it to get the bigger cpu Mhz beyond 4.5Ghz. Some went Sabertooth and others upped to the CHV board. Strokes for folks there.
RGone...

thank you very much! I think i'll go with the fatal1ty pro and use the extra 53$ to other parts.

is h320 enough? I think h220/320 is customable or should i go to full custom liquid-cooling? i dont have much experience on liquid cooling. I'm confused which is cooler.

I wonder why there only a few people that uses fatal1ty. from what ive read from rgone's review on fatal1ty it is really a contender among high end boards. the fact that I think rgone is the only guy that have a review on fatal1ty using fx 8350.

is it because of quality and durability?

will my 8320 love the mobo as much as his 8350? ^^

Theres a number of reasons that not too many people have the fatal1ty. Some dont like the look of it, or dont know the brand that well, or listen to to much marketing hype. The fatal1ty was actually my preference over the sabertooth R2.0 but the colors drove me nuts so I bought a sabertooth instead.

Any of the 3 you listed will do a good job. I would probably avoid the lower level asus board as you are already upgrading so you may as well upgrade to something thats definitely not going to limit you. Either the sabertooth or fatal1ty will serve you extremely well.

I wonder why there only a few people that uses fatal1ty. from what ive read from rgone's review on fatal1ty it is really a contender among high end boards. the fact that I think rgone is the only guy that have a review on fatal1ty using fx 8350.

is it because of quality and durability?

will my 8320 love the mobo as much as his 8350? ^^

I can tell you why the Asrock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro did not seem to make much of an appearnace. Cheap buyers. You are one of them "frostcool" by your own admission.

The 9xx boards appeared nearly a year before the actual FX processors hit the shelves in retail. All of the cheap boards did well with leftover Denebs and even many 6 core Thubans. But enter the true FX Temp and Power mongers and the tables turned and tilted badly.

Asrock had at least 5 lesser boards than the 990FX Fatal1ty mobo. We never even saw the Asrock 990FX EXT4 in the AMD CPU forum but maybe one time and it likely WAS a good board. But the users all went el cheap0.

Well most of that and some just did not like the looks. But that about sums up the nature of the FX and how they will hammer the crap out of the lesser boards if you believe in the 5.0Ghz hype that surrounded the release of the FX processor.
RGone...

If you like the fatal1ty features, you may also take a look at the 990fx extreme9 from asrock.
Beefy power section, good feature set, one of the few 990fx boards certified for the FX9xxx series procs.
They seem to be very similar to the fatal1ty, different color scheme, minor differences.

thank you all for elaborating everything to me. ill definitely go to fatal1ty and use the machine for 3 years before i upgrade again to another. Hope fatal1ty won't die on me before i hit the 3 year target. ill be nuking it with oc and gaming ^^. my goal is 4.5 - 4.8 and probably hit 5.0 and up if my cpu does well with it.

I had two Fatality serie boards. The z68 pro and the z77 pro-m.

Although they were Intel chipset mobos, both are great.

Only issue I had was a bios corruption and had to change the chip, but I am positively sure that I was a the origin of the problem (static I guess).

Either the Sabertooth 990fx Gen2 R2.0 or the Asrock 990 fatal1ty Pro will be suitable. Add the Asus Crosshair V Formula Z to the list, and you have the only boards I would consider purchasing for the FX-series.

I first went with the Asus 990fxa-ud3 a good mid-range board in its own right but noticed under load the board was throttling the CPU. No way was this thing going to even mildly overclock so I relegated the 990fxa-ud3 to back up duty with my trusty AMD 955 and moved onto the Sabertooth so I could overclock my 8350 with confidence.

My 8350 with a CM 212+ EVO for cooling will maintain 4.7 GHz before temperature becomes an issue. With good water cooling, 5.0GHz would be easily achievable.

In the long run you well be happier if you save some money for awhile and then buy a Crosshair V-Z. It's a bit more $$ but it's a lot more mobo.

I can get my 990fx/8350 to 4.8, it cools OK with a h100i but it is not 100% stable, close but not 100%. Drop it down to 4.6 and it's 100%. My CHVF-Z/9590 runs 5.0 out of the box. Hope to start OC's this new setup in the week or so, I want to run it at oem spec for awhile, make sure I'm stable.

Sorry off topic a bit but why doesn't anyone mention the Gigabyte UD-7.. no love for the board..lol

We haven't see too many. Does your rev3 have APM in the bios?? We have seen rev3 UD3 and UD5 that throttle the CPU. The rev1.1 had the APM setting and once disabled the throttling was not present.

Back