• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pci 2 over pci 3 graphic cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gilsoyamasi

Hello all and this is my first post and these forums and would like to ask for some advise with people who are more knowledgeable than me.

I built my own new rig about 2 and a half years ago Spec's are.
Memory Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C9 2000MHz
M/board Gigabyte x58a-oc
Chip Intel Core i7 980 3.33GHz (Gulftown) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail 6 cores
Graphic card 2 x Gainward gtx580 Golden Sample in sli mode.
Monitor Acer HN274h res 1920 x 1080 120hz fresh rate.

My question here is my m/board is only PCIe x2 and the newer graphic card have the PCI 3 on them. I am thinking of upgrading the graphic cards to one of the newer, the gtx780ti or 1 below this level, is there going to be much of a an upgrade or loss of max performance Pcie x3 when i put a pci express graphic card into a pcie 2 slot over what i have now. Its just i dont fancy having to replace a mother board chip and ram just for a 10% performace upgrade.

I just missed out on the newer motherboard cycle when the pci-e 3 came into the fold and another question please which would help in this as well please. Is there in the near future going to be a release of a intel 8 core Chip, so then I could upgrade then and my card if bought now would be an ok investment.

I don't just play computer games I also need good processing power from my system for my job requirements. I looked at upgrading recently but I could not just justify the cost and seeing the only real change was the faster pcie slot and the faster memory.

I do do hope to play Elite and the game I hear others are waiting to play as well is Star Citizen by Chris Roberts and Xrebirth launches in a few days.I thank you for your time and advice.

Gerard

Back