• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 Mpower Overclocking Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentsmith23

Registered
Working on overclocking a 2600K that I was previously able to hit 4.9GHz on an Asus P8P67 at 1.48V. I have been able to hit 5GHz easily on less voltage but there is something wrong. On the P8P67 when running IBT it was getting 130+ GFlops and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility showed the processor was using 120-130 watts, on the MPower I am getting around 70 GFlops and it is only using 95 watts. I know the 2600K has a stock max TDP of 95 watts, so I am thinking there must be a setting in the BIOS to push past that. I have set all of the power settings to 250 watts and it still seems to be capped at 95 watts. What am I doing wrong?

I believe I have found the problem with low Gflops in IBT. It appears to be the RAM, I have run a benchmark called Passmark Performance Test 8 and it is showing my memory is only performing at half of what it was in my P8P67 and I beleieve that this can account for the GFlops being cut in half as well. The memory I have is 16GB of Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. I have made sure that it is being detected as dual channel through CPU-Z and even tried pulling a pair just to see how it would run with just two sticks and no change. I have ordered some new RAM, 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A771ZWI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item. If anyone knows if there is a setting in the BIOS that would cause this kind of behavior please let me know or if there is some other way to test how the RAM is truly performing.

Well I was wrong about the memory being the issue and I am surprised at what the issue was. It was all caused by not having Windows 7 SP1 installed. I had reisntalled the OS when I got the new motherboard and I thought I had got all of the updates but one of the updates had become corrupt and was preventing SP1 from being installed. I had to use Microsoft's Update Rediness Tool to fix the corrupt update so I could finally get SP1 installed. I was tipped off about needing SP1 when I read a post on overclock.net from 2011:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1176420/intel-burn-test-50-usage-low-gflops

All is good now I am back in the 120s for GFlops and hitting 130W when stress testing. As far as the new RAM goes I am going to stick with it, the blue Corsair RAM didn't really go with my green themed water cooling setup, the black should fit in nicely.

Thanks Robert for trying to help me figure this out.

Back