• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with fan controller/temp sensors recommendation.and how to setup my lo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grifftech

Hi all, I am ne here and new to water-cooling, I am going to have 2 360mm Alphacool rads with 6 fans on each, I will have a WB on the CPU, the WB that comes on the ASUS Maximus VI and a WB on the GPU. My reservoir is the Photon 270mm with the D5.

I am wanting to be able to monitor the temp of the CPU and have the fans on one radiator spin up more to control the CPU temps and then have the fans on the other radiator do the same for the GPU.

So I am trying to figure out how to run the tubing with the radiators and where to put temp sensors to make that work. And then find a controller that can do that for all 12 fans.

Thanks so much,
Chris

Forget component temps. Monitor water temps and use that to determine fan speeds. Either Water-Ambient deltaT or just pure water temp. Component temps are determined by water temps, so it makes sense to base fan speeds off the object with the best influence over the outcome. Plus, then when the GPU starts dumping tons of heat into the loop but the CPU is contributing very little (or vice versa), you're using the entire capacity of the system to keep the temps in check, rather than just half.

I use an Aquaero 5 LT to do this personally, and I think they just released the Aquaero 6. There are other fan controllers that allow temp inputs to determine fan speeds though.

Forget component temps. Monitor water temps and use that to determine fan speeds. Either Water-Ambient deltaT or just pure water temp. Component temps are determined by water temps, so it makes sense to base fan speeds off the object with the best influence over the outcome. Plus, then when the GPU starts dumping tons of heat into the loop but the CPU is contributing very little (or vice versa), you're using the entire capacity of the system to keep the temps in check, rather than just half.

I use an Aquaero 5 LT to do this personally, and I think they just released the Aquaero 6. There are other fan controllers that allow temp inputs to determine fan speeds though.

Yes, I will be using inline temp sensors, I am mainly trying to figure out best way to setup the loop. I was thinking I could put inline temp sensor after the CPU to control Radiator 1's fans and then a temp sensor after the GPU to control the fans on Rad 2. But I trying to figure out how to hook up the loop properly. I am thinking Rad 1 -> MB -> CPU -> temp sensor 1 -> Rad 2 -> GPU -> temp sensor 2 - Reservoir -> Rad 1.

I would love to get the Aquaero 6xt but I can't buy it off Amazon and I am using my Amazon card :) Any other good fan controller that can handle the 12 fans?

Also the fans are PWM if that matters, they are GELID Wing 12PL.

Would I have to connect all 6 fans from a radiator into one channel on the controller and then have the matching temp sensor control that channel?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I want to make sure I have as much of my bases covered as possible before I start assembling.

Thanks,
Chris

You don't need multiple temperature sensors unless you intend to average them together. With anything above adequate flow rates, the temperature variances within the loop are very small. In other words, the water temp at the CPU block won't be very different from the temperature at the GPU block, even under full load. I would put the temperature sensors on the inlet to either radiator if you insist on using two, or just put one on the inlet to the larger radiator.

You can most definitely split a PWM signal. I'm not sure you could get away with splitting it 6 ways, but I don't know that you couldn't either ... The really slick way to do it would be to use the PWM header on the motherboard for the PWM signal (split to all six fans), then supply power to each fan off the power supply directly. That assumes that you can control the motherboard PWM signal based on feedback from the temp sensor though, and I'm not sure if that's the case.

I'm not the best resource on this. The case and case modding guys might know more about what's available for fan controllers. Just make sure you give them specific criteria. Must be on Amazon. Must be PWM. Must accept temperature input from your sensor. It will likely need a USB interface to accomplish all this. Too bad the Aquaero products aren't on Amazon, the Aquaero 5 LT would probably do just fine.

Hi I was directed to this forum as you might be able to help me :)

I have a thread in the water cooling forum and maybe you could help me with on choosing a fan controller that I can use to control 12 PWM fans, 6 on each radiator.

I am wanting to use 2 inline water sensors after the CPU and after the GPU to control the fans on the 2 radiators. I am trying to find a fan controller that can handle 6 fans per channel and a temp sensor for that channel to control the fans.

The fans are PWM GELID Wing 12PLs.

Here is a link to my thread.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7580187#post7580187

You shouldn't be cross posting, one thread is enough.
mimart7 is correct. Please only create one thread per topic. People here post across multiple sections, so your question is likely to get an answer here. I've merged your thread back into the original.

My fault I guess. I'm the one that suggested that forum might know more about what he was asking. Sorry.

At the moment your best bet as a fan PWM controller and Pump is the Aquaero 6 XT. Not sure if they ever will get them but your best bet is to get that one. Corsair Link is another PWM controller but a nightmare to use and a waste of funds. Mines going nuts and my pump went from 1.0 GPM to 0.0 its reading. Its running but barely.

Back