• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Hi guys! I just got an old rig out of the closet to see if it still worked. It's an Abit Nf7-S with an Althon XP 2500m Barton. I have it clocked at 2.50Mhz prime95 stable.

I was just wondering if anyone could remember what monitoring programs there where for these old single core processors. I tried 32 bit CPU-Z & HWmonitor but both hung the computer. I do have motherboard monitor so I can see what my case & core temps, voltages, & fan speeds are from that.

If you could access those old brain cells & let me know, Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
For an older machine like that you can try SpeedFan.

1+ for speedfan.

I'm surprised that CPU-Z doesn't work, I dug out (and nearly killed) my ASRock K7s41GX and my poor old Duron "Spitfire". I gave it 2 colts vcore and it ran at over 178 Mhz FSB!

But alas it will not take anything over 137 Mhz FSB now :cry:

Anyway CPU-z works on that old rig, and since you can get it to run, speedfan is the only other program that I know that will work.

Oh the joys of old rigs! :p

CPU-z works on that old rig, and since you can get it to run, speedfan is the only other program that I know that will work.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to play around with CPU-Z again.

CPU-z works on that old rig, and since you can get it to run, speedfan is the only other program that I know that will work.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to play around with CPU-Z again.

Yes, speedfan can read the temps as well as control the fans. (though speedfan can't control the fans on my mobo I talked about :( )

If cpu-z can't run, try an older version, or even the ROG and other special versions...

If all else fails, speedfan! :thup:

You could try the free version of Everest. Link, since I don't think it's on their site anymore. I believe that's what I used for my old 2400+ to monitor all of that.

You could try the free version of Everest. Link, since I don't think it's on their site anymore. I believe that's what I used for my old 2400+ to monitor all of that.

:facepalm:

Ahh!! How can I forget Everest!!!
I even used it on that rig! *slaps face right off body*

OP Try Everest if speedfan doesn't work.
Everest is a great diagnosing tool (If i can remember correctly ;) )

Yes, speedfan can read the temps as well as control the fans. (though speedfan can't control the fans on my mobo I talked about :( )

If cpu-z can't run, try an older version, or even the ROG and other special versions...

If all else fails, speedfan! :thup:

+1

I had this same problem when I was benching/overclocking my old Athlon 2600, 3200, and others.

The newest versions of CPU-Z didn't work for me (1.61-1.63 IIRC were the newest that were out at the time), but 1.60 and earlier did work.

I also tried the G1, OC, and ROG versions and they worked just fine.

+1

I had this same problem when I was benching/overclocking my old Athlon 2600, 3200, and others.

The newest versions of CPU-Z didn't work for me (1.61-1.63 IIRC were the newest that were out at the time), but 1.60 and earlier did work.

I also tried the G1, OC, and ROG versions and they worked just fine.
Thanks Tech Tweaker, I'll have to research the versions of CPU-Z. I really like it.

CPU-Z versions from 1.60 and up have a crashing problem with Socket A but any versions from 1.59 and lower do not.
When they released V 1.60 the basic format or something changed with CPU-Z and it's been a problem ever since with Socket A - However not all Socket A's experience this problem and it seems to be an issue with what motherboard you use, not the CPU itself.

Speed fan is about as good as you'll find for your board for monitoring and Clockgen for the NF2 chipset will let you OC it once you are in the OS. Not every board is supported by Speedfan for OC'ing but I believe the NF7/NF7-S is.

BTW if you get clockgen, there are a few versions of it, each being different based on what chipset it's intended for and the three versions I have are for the NF2, NF3 and NF4 chipsets. Also know Clockgen isn't "Liked" by all boards of a given chipset - Some flake out and some don't with it.

Last edited:

Nice call Tech Tweaker, I downloaded a copy of cpu-z 1.60 & it works great. I'm going to get speedfan next. Thanks

CPU-Z versions from 1.60 and up have a crashing problem with Socket A but any versions from 1.59 and lower do not.
When they released V 1.60 the basic format or something changed with CPU-Z and it's been a problem ever since with Socket A - However not all Socket A's experience this problem and it seems to be an issue with what motherboard you use, not the CPU itself.

Speed fan is about as good as you'll find for your board for monitoring and Clockgen for the NF2 chipset will let you OC it once you are in the OS. Not every board is supported by Speedfan for OC'ing but I believe the NF7/NF7-S is.

BTW if you get clockgen, there are a few versions of it, each being different based on what chipset it's intended for and the three versions I have are for the NF2, NF3 and NF4 chipsets. Also know Clockgen isn't "Liked" by all boards of a given chipset - Some flake out and some don't with it.
Thanks for all the info. Dr. McCoy, I did get an older version of cpu-z to work. I'll look into clockgen.

Hi, I thought since I now have some good monitoring tools for this old rig that I would see what it would do. I believe that this is a fairly good OC. for this board & chip.

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 85
  • prime95.JPG
    prime95.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 3dmark05.JPG
    3dmark05.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 86
Hi, I thought since I now have some good monitoring tools for this old rig that I would see what it would do. I believe that this is a fairly good OC. for this board & chip.

Nice! :thup:

I had a Sempron to OC, but I killed it by slashing all L6 bridges to unlock the multiplier. Turns out there are 4 conductive pats between the L6 bridges and I cut them so now it's dead.

On the other hand, I am able to run my old Duron at 1015 Mhz, stock is 750 Mhz so not bad.

2 volts Vcore is a lot, that's how I damaged my Duron. (the one above)

EDIT: Want more overclock? Here, then look for this: "Interactive XP painting guide - AMD XP CPU overclocking via bridges"

If you have the right processor, you can unlock the multiplier with pencil! (My Duron was harder, it is ceramic, not PCB so I had to use a scribe to cut my bridges :p)

Last edited:
Nice! :thup:

I had a Sempron to OC, but I killed it by slashing all L6 bridges to unlock the multiplier. Turns out there are 4 conductive pats between the L6 bridges and I cut them so now it's dead

NOT good, I have shaky hands & have trouble trying to cut those little traces.

On the other hand, I am able to run my old Duron at 1015 Mhz, stock is 750 Mhz so not bad. :thup:

2 volts Vcore is a lot, that's how I damaged my Duron. (the one above)

Yes it is, it runs real cool even when stressing so I hope it will hang in there. I do have another 2500M Barton if needed.

EDIT: Want more overclock? Here, then look for this: "Interactive XP painting guide - AMD XP CPU overclocking via bridges"Nice link, Thanks. I tried going to 13x200 but it took me back to 13x166 so maybe I can find something in here to let me go 13x200.

Back