• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about going with a custom loop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

I have contemplating this for the last month since I want a really quite rig when i'm gaming. The main reason why I'm not 100% sure is the fact my 7970 has coil whine on 2d applications and I don't know if a custom loop will amplify the sound. it already bugs me to the point I turn up my fans so I don't have to hear it.

will a gpu block amplify the coil whine sound?

Does anybody have this issue and if so could you please let me know what your experience with custom loops and coil whine.

If you went wet, I think you'd just hear the coil whine which would drive you even more nuts unless if you jacked up the rad fans. Don't think its worth it. Have you tried RMAing it?

No because I read several forums about coil whine on my Asus HD7970 DC2. It is apparently very common and only a very few people have gotten lucky with zero coil whine on that particular card. I can't complain to much because I did buy the card new for $259 a month ago and has zero coil whine while playing games. It only happens in 2d applications like firefox when I minimize and maximize the window which I can live with.

My thought what a block with fluid in it would just amplify any coil whine which is going to prevent me from going water cooling on the gpu.

It won't make the coil squeal louder. It'll make the other computer sounds lesser, which might make the coil whine sound stand out more when it occurs.

There are some things you can do to silence/quiet the offending coil. If it bothers you that much, you might want to look into it. Basically, you have to stop the little troublemaker from being able to vibrate. The methods recommended for accomplishing that can be found by spending some time your favorite internet search engine. I'm not sure you can completely eliminate it, but you should be able to reduce it if it's as apparent as you say.

Back