• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No clue why and curious. Win 7x64 IE fails successfully.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
I have had an issue on my laptop for I cant even think how long. IE refuses to work. Flat out refuses but fails successfully!

If I completely remove IE from Windows, with all necessary reboots, and then from a clean boot, with an Administrator log in, I install IE, it fails successfully. Nothing shows up in Event viewer about it failing, crashing or anything else. If I run IE it opens, appears to hang partway through the loading process and then exits.

This happens with any user acct, in safe mode or regular, even with Run as Administrator. Nothing else on the system has issues. Programs install without complaint otherwise. For whatever reason IE is the only issue.

This is not a huge problem, I really don't mind THAT much but I am curious if anyone has any suggestions or ideas? The main reason I am posting this is that I have had times that IE is the only supported Browser (meeting SW or whatever) which forces me to log on to a different system in order to do whatever it is.

Which version of IE? How are you uninstalling it, and have you tried starting it in safe mode (add-ons disabled) by typing iexplore -extoff in the Start Search field?

Newer versions of IE require "updates" like NET.whatever and others, are these installing successfully?
The other common problem is files from a download highjacking "browser.
JAVA and Adobe Flash, some free office downloads, have "tag alongs" it is easy to miss.

Which version of IE? How are you uninstalling it, and have you tried starting it in safe mode (add-ons disabled) by typing iexplore -extoff in the Start Search field?

8,9,10 and 11.

I have removed IE via control panel > programs and features > uninstall an update and also via Turn windows features on or off with the same results.

I have tried OS safe mode, right click and run as administrator, running IE in safe mode as you mentioned and installing every possible update, rebooting and then installing IE with the same end result. No errors show but IE starts, loads ~halfway (never finishes loading fully before it closes), and just closes out.

Thunderbird, Open Office, Steam, Firefox and Chrome update and install without issue. I can install whatever programs I choose and not have a problem but IE just pukes all over itself and fails successfully.

I'm not TOO worried about it because I can RDP or VNC over to a different system and use IE for it but it is annoying to do so. I'm lazy and don't want to wipe the system and do a full rebuild even though that would probably resolve the issue...

Back