• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I5 4670k Really bad chip or just me being bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keneso

Registered
Hello.

ive been reading about Oc'ing a little lately, and been researching.
But in middle of everything i had to start oc'ing already.

My Cpu wont seem to oc much over 4ghz, and after reading alot about it online i found out it should go above 4ghz with Air cooling.

so i was reading about voltage etc.

keeping most of the settings on default i started experimenting.

I target was 4.4ghz. I was up to 1.25v and couldnt get in windows.
Bluescreen.

I raised voltage all the way up to 1.29v but still bluescreen.

I had read that you shouldnt go above 1.3v while clocking.
But it felt tempting to try, but i had to just stop it.

I dont know why i couldnt make it higher but i suspected that maybe there is more settings to play with, but i dont know where to go.

might i just have a really bad chip, or am i missing something important?

I have

MSI z87 G45
1600mhz Vengeance 2x4gb 7-8-8

I managed to run 4.2ghz while playing games at 1.26v.
having temps of 50-60c
Using Cooler: CM 212 Hyper EVO.

while reading more online, i also found out this motherboard was more advanced to use with overclocking and there was more settings to be used properly.

please help.

I read that page two times and i used the 1.25 V way, but couldnt go above 4.1ghz.
i had to put on 1.27 V for 4.2ghz and i couldnt get at 4.4ghz without going above 1.3v, so i gave up.

i havent been overclocking my ram.
is that important to go much above 4.0ghz cpu clock?

also i have my voltage on adaptive.

and i had something called ''Ring voltage'' at 41x @ 1.200v (settings from YT video)

At 4.2clock, if i lowere my voltage a little i couldnt boot.
also running at 1.26v @ 4.2ghz just gave me a reboot after 1.5 hours of gaming.
Temp was only 50c.

My 4770K needs 1.23-1.25V for 4.2GHz and it's pretty normal. To make 4.5GHz I have to set ~1.35V. 4670K ( that I sold really fast ) needed about 0.05V more for the same clocks so about 1.3V for 4.2GHz and 1.4V for 4.5GHz.
I think your chip is maybe not really, really bad but something slightly below average.

If you are not happy with it then just sell it and try with another one. It didn't work for me as I couldn't find anything better than my 4770K so I just set it to 4.2GHz in my 24/7 PC.

My 4770K needs 1.23-1.25V for 4.2GHz and it's pretty normal. To make 4.5GHz I have to set ~1.35V. 4670K ( that I sold really fast ) needed about 0.05V more for the same clocks so about 1.3V for 4.2GHz and 1.4V for 4.5GHz.
I think your chip is maybe not really, really bad but something slightly below average.

If you are not happy with it then just sell it and try with another one. It didn't work for me as I couldn't find anything better than my 4770K so I just set it to 4.2GHz in my 24/7 PC.

My 4770K needs 1.280v for 4,4 (44x100) as a stable overclock (prime95 FFT for 8 hours), but if i go to 4,5 (45x100) i cant even get threw 2 hours of FFT at 1,4v. So my CPU is pretty much limited rigth there. :shrug:

You need to take it in steps, baby steps with these CPU's fo get the max out oc out of them.

Okay thanks to both of you.
maybe we all have not so good chips.

i saw these guys running 4.6 at way lower voltage.

anyway, going above 1.3v, is it safe? and is it okay?

Don't always believe what you read. I can run my 4770k at 4.7 with 1.265 Cpu v and bench certain programs such as 3D Mark Vantage but it is no where near stable and could never use it like that for anything other then short periods of time. Can I say I run my chip at 4.7, yes but I wouldn't, catching my point? They may also have really good chip and/or are running them under really good cooling.

Okay thanks to both of you.
maybe we all have not so good chips.

anyway, going above 1.3v, is it safe? and is it okay?

Do a search, i believe i was told 1,35v was the max i should got for daily OC on my 4770K.

Don't always believe what you read. I can run my 4770k at 4.7 with 1.265 Cpu v and bench certain programs such as 3D Mark Vantage but it is no where near stable and could never use it like that for anything other then short periods of time. Can I say I run my chip at 4.7, yes but I wouldn't, catching my point? They may also have really good chip and/or are running them under really good cooling.

There are some chips theat oc better than others, no doubt. Its a luck of the draw with the Haswell cpu's.

I see them changing hands daily on danish used sites, because people are searching for the one CPU that will run higher than others, and lower voltage.

I saw one go for over new price, it was a delid with no warranty, but it did 4,8 at 1.25v, and the dude claimed it was stable, but he was looking for LN2 use, and that cpu had a limit to it apparently. I asked him for proof it was stable, and he showed me 2 hour tests.

I can run 2 hours at higher speed with lower voltage too, but at some point it will crash, so its all up to how you do it and what you are looking to do with it.

If overclockers are showing anything on the forums then they want to share what great chip they got or to show their disappointment ( those are less ). Many of those who got bad chips won't share results but sell CPU and buy next one. Considering this it's hard to give any info about average OC.
On the forums we probably see less than 5% of all results. I think that most K CPUs owners are not even overclocking them as a lot of people are buying top of the line CPUs counting it's best of the best. At least I saw something like that when I was working for PC manufacturer couple of years ago.

Back