• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock 970 Extreme 3 And AMD Fx 6300 Compatibility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HarshaRokr

Registered
Hey,guys i have Asrock 970 Extreme 3 and presently using AMD 955 BE .But 3 days back Im Ordered AMD FX 6300 as i sold my old processor for a upgrade.and im really worried.do i need to update my Asrock Bios to in use of using Fx6300 ??My Details Follows below mentioned :
Asrock 970 Extreme 3
Bios Version P1.70

So am i good to go or do i need to update eagery waiting for your replies thanks everyone

Yes, it will all work with the board. The other question to answer is will the H80i work with your case? You will need a 120mm fan exhaust port in the back or top of the case. Also realize that your motherboard choice is not a good one if you intend to overclock the FX-6300. It should be adequate for running that CPU at stock frequencies and voltages, however.

Yes, it will all work with the board. The other question to answer is will the H80i work with your case? You will need a 120mm fan exhaust port in the back or top of the case. Also realize that your motherboard choice is not a good one if you intend to overclock the FX-6300. It should be adequate for running that CPU at stock frequencies and voltages, however.

Bro,thanks for reply im not planning to overclock,i have nzxt phantom case i dont know can i mount it or not but i wanted to confirm before making any mistakes...so im just asked please help me so can i order Corsair H80

According to to what I see at newegg you shouldn't have too much trouble mounting that cooler in the case. Says it supports a 2x120 rad in the top and the H80i is ony a 120.

Most are held with Phillips head screw, some have rubber push pins. If your talking about the case take a look a t the back. You should see one or the other. If it's the top you're trying to get out you have to remove the top of the case most likely. They're all held together differently so you'll have to figure tha one out. Check the manufacturers site os your manual, if no info then just poke at it and call it names.

If you are balking at removing a case fan, should you be undertaking installation of a motherboard and other upgrade components you are considering?

Guys jst installed AMD FX 6300 Everything went fine but when i turned on the system i can hear 6 long beeps no post no display removed 3 ram sticks and system working fine what could be the issue?

If it worked with only one stick then I assume, since you didn't mention getting new stuff. You'll have to set the timings manually in the bios, most likely increase the voltage a bit( for the ram) by .05 - .1v also set the CPUnb voltage a bit higher , have you updated to the latest BIOS for that board. It is a bit old?
Also is that mixed Ram 2x2 and 2x4 sticks?? That can cause an issue if the ram's native timings are slightly different. Try the 2x2 sticks to start with and see if we can work from there. One more thing what is you PSU it's not listed in your sig.

Here is the complete info
AMD FX 6300 Previosuly 955BE
ASROCK 970 EXTREME 3 BIOS VERSION P1.70 Latest One
Corsair TX650 PSU
RADEON 7770 GPU

Im using 1x2 GB
2X 4GB This ram setup worked fine with 955 only happened after installing Fx 6300

PS:My Idle Temps arond 19c Max Load 45c with stock heat sink is it correct or wrong temps??

Ok were any of your ram sold as a dual channel kit?? If so install those. The memory controller is a bit more touchy dealing with the 6 cores and mixed ram kits can always cause issues. Let me know if this will boot or not.

Complete information would say for sure are you using one 2x4gig ram kit and 2x2gig ram kits and the part number of each kit.

The motherboard actually has little influence except the bios on what ram works. The memory controller is inside each cpu and when you change the cpu you have changed the memory controller. So working with 955BE cpu does not mean the ram will work with the new memory controller of the new cpu.

Like "johan45" says you need to set the ram timing manually. You may not be able to use 2 different type kits of ram anymore.

Read your manual and find the primary ram slot and it is usually the mem slot closest to the cpu and insert one 4gig stick there. Then while still turned completely off see manual on how to clear the CMOS. Clear the CMOS and see if will boot with one 4gig stick. If it does. Set timings manually and then shutdown and add the other 4gig stick in slot the mobo manual says to use for dual channel operation. See if boots with 2x4gig kit of ram. If it does, you are on your own to get a smaller size ram kit to work with such different ram timings.
RGone...

Guys dont wanna mess and take risk im happy with 8GIG For Now i wont do anything... Im fully satisifed with Fx 6300 performance
ps my frnd needs budget cpu which one best 4300 or 6300

They're pretty much the same only the 6300 has 6 cores. So that would depend a lot on their workload and what they intend to do. If it's just a daily computer and not a gamer you may want to consider the FM2 AMD apus. Then you don't need a seperate GFX card since it's on the CPU more budget friendly. It can handle games just not all the eye candy

I didn't know what other parts he had but sure if that's what you have your heart set on go ahead. I'm sure you can find better combos in the APUs . That one was the top chip right now.

Back