• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What MOBO To Go With For New Gaming Build?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigmike35

Registered
I am currently in a new build upgrade and can't seem to decide which way to lean on a motherboard. I have always tend to stay in the middle of the road, but I do want to go all out on this build and I know the mb is a very important key to that role. What is a great motherboard for everyday use and heavy gaming. Budget varies but 200-300. The ones I am currently looking at are:

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87

ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87

ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z87

Thoughts or recommendations other then these motherboards?

Setup (Will Be:)
i7 4770k
MB: Pending
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Samsung 840 Pro 128/256 SDDS
2 HDD 2-TB Segate Barracuda 64mb
GTX 760 sc edition
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

Unless you intend to use extreme cooling options for very high overclocking, I don't see why you would go with an expensive board. I would look at the Extreme 4 or any other Z87 board in the $125-150 range. Spend the extra money on a better gpu. 760 is a bit underpowered, imo, comparing to your other specs.

Unless you intend to use extreme cooling options for very high overclocking, I don't see why you would go with an expensive board. I would look at the Extreme 4 or any other Z87 board in the $125-150 range. Spend the extra money on a better gpu. 760 is a bit underpowered, imo, comparing to your other specs.

Of those, the Pro or Extreme 6.

I have a blackhawk ultra super tower (8 fans stocks) plus can add more if need be. Overclocking will be used, but more of a slight/moderate overclock then a extreme oc. I just wanted to make sure to get a above average mobo with everything I need. I really like the Extreme 6 and Hero. Just want a solid board that won't let me down. Never really bought into a high mobo, was always in the below-middle range when buying one for my previous builds. But overall all, the boards (Hero, Ext 6/Pro) are all quality boards tho and can't really go wrong with buying them? I know they all have pro/cons, but overall they seem to get really good reviews with maybe the hero edging out due to the better audio (looking at reviews)

An average mobo wouldn't let you down where you are overclocking.. ;)

So in that reference, are you saying a avg board is the Pro/Ext6 or more like the Ext4 and the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 and MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87. Everything but the Pro seems to be around $150-$170, Pro is I believe $190-$200

I am saying, if you needed/wanted to save a few dollars, a lesser board (the ones you suggested are all solid) would be fine, yep. :)

Perhaps save there and jump up on the GPU a bit since this is for gaming. You can also go for a 4670K too to save even more money to put towards your GPU. All depends on your budget.

I am saying, if you needed/wanted to save a few dollars, a lesser board (the ones you suggested are all solid) would be fine, yep. :)

Perhaps save there and jump up on the GPU a bit since this is for gaming. You can also go for a 4670K too to save even more money to put towards your GPU. All depends on your budget.

In all honesty, I don't really have a budget lol, I mean I would like to keep it reasonable of course, but I do want to build a very solid rig. Maybe I can PM you my full build list and discuss from there? Whatever is easier. I have thought about moving to the 4670k instead to save $100 since the 4770k won't give a performance increase on games. I do a little editing but nothing extreme that the 4670 couldn't handle well (and in all honesty, who can really say or see they saved a few microseconds while editing) plus it will keep the heat dissipation down as well which is a plus.

Public is easier.. let the whole community assist.

If I was you, I would go 4670K, MSI GD65, and a 280x GPU.

I concur. Though, if you live near a microcenter and are able to buy the CPU today, might as well jump on that crazy $200 4770k deal ;)

I would like to stay nvidia for a gpu. Say what! The chip is in sale for 200!!!? Can this be bought online? I don't believe I am near one, can look as I live in Houston.

In store only...

Here is your store:

Houston/West Loop
1717 West Loop Drive South
Houston, TX 77027

Bummer. I saw posts on fatwallet about Staples price matching the deal. Might be worth a call if you have one nearby.

I tried that myself (Staples) but any of the couple that are local, did not sell CPUs. Still worth a try though!

Fry's should... I recall someone here mentioning that as well.

GL! :thup:

Just called and the guy on the phone said I have to come into the store so they can look at the ad and determine. Might be asking for a manager up in here lol

Back